1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Encoding - what makes the difference?

Discussion in 'Desktop & Laptop Computers Forum' started by Endeavour, May 25, 2005.

1. Endeavour

Endeavour

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    I am planning on building a HTPC in the near future but I think I will probably leave the job of recoding or transcoding to my general purpose PC. It currently has an XP2700 on an NF2 board, 1Gb RAM and an ATI 9700Pro.

I am looking to upgrade this machine not least to make best use of a tasty new Dell 24" monitor :) If I want to improve the speed of shrinking DVD's or recoding to MPG4 / DIVx / WMV etc or encoding my camcorder footage to MPG2 - do the graphics card and the hardware encoders on the Radeon x800 or GeForce 6x00 cards play any part or is it purely a number crunching exercise for the CPU?

2. betamac

betamac

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    CPU power, encoding to DIVX etc is dependant on CPU speed, the Athlon 64s are very fast at DIVX encoding as i have done it myself a few times,

3. probedb

probedb
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +181
    Well HDD space is so cheap it might be worth just using DVD-Shrink to rip only the bits of DVDs you want to your HDD, i.e. movie and soundtrack :) That'll loose some space!

4. Endeavour

Endeavour

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    Yes but not free yet unfortunately. I have just bought some more in the form of a Buffalo Terastation and it cost 65p per Gb but multiply that by a 1000 and it still stings. It goes down to 750Gb when I enable RAID5 which is enough for about 100 disks without shrinking or about half my collection. This is the master plan:

DVD's go on the Terastation and are available to the 3 XPMCE machines around the house fronted by MyMovies. Apart from the main room, the screens will be 17-20" so quality is less of an issue. For my favorite and most quality sensitive stuff I will still stick to the original disk for the big screen. The rest will be loft bound probably.

In addition to that there will be TV recordings and Camcorder stuff to go in the library. I also expect to do quite a few MPG4 recodings designed to go on my PDA, which are useful for keep the kids occupied. Then there is music to consider.

It's going to take ages even with beefed up kit to get all that stuff on. Hopefully by the time I fill up the first Terastation the 1.6Tb versions will be £500 and there will be 4Tb ones for the flush.