• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

Encoding DVD Collection for Apple TV3

Splutter

Established Member
Hi Guys, I have a very Apple-centric household it makes sense for me to go for an Apple TV over another streamer as the benefits of itunes Match swing it for me for Audio. But if I'm getting one I was thinking I could start looking at encoding my rather huge DVD library.

Now before I get started on this I was after a bit of advice as to what format to rip these to. Primarily I'm just concentrating on DVD and not HD material, I'll stick to physical media for HD at the moment.

At the moment I was thinking of ripping using Handbrake (on a mac) and going for the Universal setting, for the DVD's I'm looking at preserving quality, surround audio, and also having the option to transfer to portable players like iPhones and iPads. I've also found some great automation settings but before I start doing this I was after the experts opinion, I want this to be as future proof as I can, yet also compatible with the Apple eco system. Any advice bearing in mind it's all SD footage?

Last edited:

grahamlthompson

In memoriam
DVD's are already digital :confused:

Basically you have simply to change the mpeg2 data contained in the .vob files to a different container (usually .mpg). Commercial DVD's will need software to remove the CSS copy protection.

Splutter

Established Member
Okay, what I'm after are your opinions on encoding settings to convert from the DVD to a .mp4 file to be imported into itunes, in order to preserve quality and surround audio. Currently I use Handbrake as the software to do this but their are numerous settings and before spending considerable time doing this I wondered what settings you would use.

I have no problems ripping the DVD to Vob files in a Video_TS folder (and handbrake automates a large portion of this) it's converting them to a format workable with itunes (.mp4) that is at a high quality. I'd like to get a general consensus on this before I spend considerable time, converting files.

Thanks

next010

Distinguished Member
You will probably want to use IVI Pro (which actually uses Handbrake as underlying conversion), it includes decryption of DVD plus automatic metadata application to the m4v video file and import into iTunes.

You can stick with the high quality setting in IVI Pro.

5.1 audio I'm not sure on, iTunes/AppleTV support Dolby 5.1 in m4v but iPhone/iPad do not. So your primary track for full compatibility must be stereo AAC audio and secondary track AC3 5.1 (Dolby). I think there is a flag or something in iTunes/AppleTV where it will go with the secondary AC3 5.1 track for playback but I've never looked into it, IVI may automatically do it.

The latest video from AVForums

SVS Prime Wireless Pro Powered Speakers - Review Coming Soon
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom