encode (SD) DV-AVI to AVC bitrates setting question

the_stalker

Hi

As while ago I did asked what best format to convert (SD) DV-AVI to. And look like the best option is AVC format as it newer and better.

I got so many file that is (SD) DV-AVI and I'm going to convert them to AVC so I can play them on media player or/and maybe Blu-Ray in the future. I've try trail version of MAGIX Movie Edit Pro MX Plus and Sony Movie Studio HD Platinum 11. And find it hard to find the option to change setting in the AVC format. Then I try Adobe Premiere Elements 10 trail and so far it look good and lot of option and setting to output to AVC.

There so many (SD) DV-AVI files is in fast moving because its Motorbike racing. So I looking what the best option to set the bitrates to. I've try lot different setting and they seem very closely match - when I test it on the TV using PS3. But I've found a little improvement when on it higher bitrates but really have to look for it and difficult becuase of fast moving. So do you think I should set it to 10000? Is this about right? Or should I go higher because of fast moving racing? The size does not worry me at all as I want it to set it best quality as possible with minimum quality loss.

Is Adobe good enough to encode (SD) DV-AVI to AVC in good quality or is there better software do better jobs?

I've already done all the racing on to DVD discs using Sony Architect Studio 4.5 using max 9800 bitrates setting couple years ago. And I will never delete the DV-AVI files because you never know there could be something better to encode in the future.

Edit:- I look into Sony Architect Studio 5.0 by default the setting is 18000 bitrates to fit on Blu-ray disc. It make me wonder if that normal setting for SD 720 x 576 if so then I should output it to 18000 instead of 10000?

Last edited:

rogs

I use the free program Virtualdub, together with the x.264vfw codec, to convert my DV footage to Mpeg4 (or 'AVC' as you call it).

I find anything higher than a bit rate of 2500 makes very little difference to this SD quality footage.

As DV is interlaced, I do prefer to de-interlace it, as well a doubling the frame rate to 50 fps, to get a progressive AVC output tht suits my needs.

As Virtualdub and the x.264 codec, are both free, you can try this option without having to pay, to see if it suits your needs?....

the_stalker

I find anything higher than a bit rate of 2500 makes very little difference to this SD quality footage.

That what I think I'm finding that it very little different when change to higher bitrates on AVC (mepg4) compare to mpeg2 9800 which higher do make the different to me.

So I can change the Sony Architect Studio 5.0 setting on blu-ray to lower bit rate 18000 to 2500 or higher so all the files can fit on one disc (50Gb).

As DV is interlaced, I do prefer to de-interlace it, as well a doubling the frame rate to 50 fps, to get a progressive AVC output tht suits my needs.

I not 100% sure what the different between interlaced and de-interlace. How you de-interlace it then doubling the frame rate to 50fps? And what the reason to de-interlace then output to progressive avc (Mpeg4)?

As Virtualdub and the x.264 codec, are both free, you can try this option without having to pay, to see if it suits your needs?....

I've find VirtualClub which is 1.9.11 back dec 2011 but where can I get x.264 codec? Don't forget I running win 7 64 bit.

Thanks

Last edited:

rogs

You can read about intelacing here:
Interlaced video - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Your DV footage will be interlaced, so it's up to you whether you want to deinterlace or not. Because interlaced video will have 50 fields per seconds, you might fine that de-interlacing, without doubling the frame rate. makes your video appear less' smooth' - especially during panned shots.

You can donwload the vfw x.264 codec from here:

x264 VFW Codec 2197 - VideoHelp.com Downloads

As I say, it's all freeware, so you can try out diferent options, without spending any money.
If you don't like the results, you can try something else....

The latest video from AVForums

Podcast: Panasonic JZ2000 Final Thoughts - TV Calibration: Should you? And More...
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom