1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Enclosed cabinets

Discussion in 'AV Stands, Cabinets, Seating & Furniture' started by mevetts, Sep 1, 2004.

1. mevetts

mevetts
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Hi,

I would like to get a cabinet to house my equipment, but was curious as to whether there would be an potential issues if I were to buy an enclosed cabinet (i.e. one with doors on the front). Amps/recs give off a considerable amount of heat, so would there be enough circulation when using the amp/rec with the doors closed?

Cheers,

Mark.

2. AMc

AMc
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,105
    I have a cabinet with doors to keep sticky fingers off the buttons and jam sandwiches out of the video. The amp, cable box etc do generate a fair amount of heat and I had to cut large holes in the back to get sufficient ventilation. It's all a bit warmer than I would like.
    You could probably make smaller holes if you fitted a small quiet fan - maybe a PC one?

3. mevetts

mevetts
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    I could master a small amount of DIY, but fitting additional fans maybe stretching it without some clear instructions!

Cheers for the suggestions.

4. AMc

AMc
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,105
  5. mevetts

mevetts
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Thanks for the link. No kids yet, but doors would be better for asthetics. Its a tough one because I don't have the space to use something like an oppli, it will really need to be a corner type unit. However, finding a corner unit to house DVD, VCR, Humax, REC, centre speaker is difficult, particularly when I do not want to spend much!

Keep looking I guess.

Cheers,

Mark.

6. gossp

gossp

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7
    Well i'm looking at a bit of a different solution. I need to do something similar to yourself, but am probably going to get a cabinet (with a difference) bulit.
    What I'm doing that is different is that I am going to use a standard AV stand (double unit width and probably 3 shelves) and get a fascade to fit around it bulit. So basically sides and top (no back so lots of ventilation) and support along front bottom and top and then doors with either Infared transparent cloth or some sort of patterned (with holes) wood. That way everything is still easily accesible (just move facade to get to back of components, or open doors to access front) but neat and tidyed away.
    Very high WAF rating.
    Just got to design it now. :eek:

7. AMc

AMc
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,105
    http://www.ikea.co.uk/webapp/wcs/st...uctId=11402&langId=-20&parentCats=10104*10174

Basically what I have but as a corner unit...but no doors! :(
    You might be able to make doors to fit.

I hunted high and low for a good solid door solution and I couldn't come close to IKEA TV furniture in terms of price/performance. For £75 the LEKSVIK TV bench is made of solid wood with safety glass doors. The nearest similar solution I could find was over £500 from a HiFi dealer.

Good luck with your search!

8. mevetts

mevetts
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    The unit is spot on, but I want the doors for asthetics and to keep the kit a little more dust free.

I suppose I could draft in the skills of my old man as he is a bit of a dab hand at DIY!

9. AMc

AMc
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,105
    Take your tape measure along - you may be able to use doors from the cabinet (or something else in the range) on the corner unit as they're only 5cm different in width.
    Obviously you'd end up with a 'spare' cabinet with no doors but you'd still be all in at £124 which is well under the other stuff I've seen.

10. mevetts

mevetts
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Good idea, IKEA, I'm coming! :thumbsup:

11. Clabs

Clabs

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7
    Hi Mevets

I was after exactly what you describe. I really did want doors so that all the kids xbox controllers were not on show all the time. I had alsmost given up but found exactly what I was looking for at Harvey's Furnishings.

It is a bit more expensive than the IKEA units (£350) but is a lovely piece of furniture and my 42" plasma looks fantastic on it. The wood is maple and the doors have enough glass in them to allow the remotes to work with them shut.

My only real gripe with it is that it was on 10 week delivery but as it was exactly what I was looking for I was prepared to wait that long.

Hope this is of some use.

Chers, Mark

12. mevetts

mevetts
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Cheers Mark. Sounds lovely, but 350 is way above my price range as I'm still a student - starting a post-grad teacher training course tomorrow!

Thanks,

Mark.

13. JUS

JUS

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +211
    I got a local pine shop to make me a cupboard. It's pretty big but was made completely to my own spec. It cost £260 and houses the following...

Centre speaker
    Amp
    DVD
    ISCAN ultra
    XBOX
    GC
    DC
    Quattro+ scart switcher

Also has two small compartments for bits & bobs...extra controllers, sound meter, headphones etc.

To be honest I'm not too happy with my design. I designed it a bit too high. I should have gone three units long to bring the height down instead of two. Oh well, live & learn.

As far as heat goes it's fine. I designed it so the second shelf isn't near the amp which sits on the bottom shelf. The back is completely open so the air has chance to circulate without any need for fans etc.

A hell of a lot cheaper than the Arca £700+ small av-cupboard.

If I pull my finger out over the weekend I'll try & post a picture.