Enclosed cabinets and heat... Good or bad??

harmunt

Standard Member
Reaction score
I am thinking about getting a decent home entertainment unit to house an amp, blu-ray, xbox 360, Wii and Sky HD. However, my only requirements are to have all of the gear housed behind glass that is IR friendly and a weight limit acceptable to my Panasonic V10 plasma.

I’m concerned about heat build up so excellent ventilation is a must. I’ve seen some that appear to have fans built in to them… Are they noisy?

I have seen and liked these so far –
Alphason - Finewoods FW1350-LO/B | Wooden LCD TV Cabinet | BIG AV
BDI - Mirage 8224 | Dark Wood LCD TV Furniture Stand | BIG AV

Am I on the right lines?

Hi,

The Alphason Finewoods has an open front and large cable ducts, whereas the BDI Mirage has BDI's very clever flow through ventilation system, this is designed to pull cooler air theough the base of the cabinet, through the vented shelves whilst pushing the warm air out of the vented rear panels.

Salamander Designs TV stands are available with active cooling, the fan only kicks in when the equipment gets above a certain temperature, to reach this temperature it will probably be an amp running quite loudly and therefore you shouldn't be able to hear the fan, we have one of these on display in our showroom and I have to say the fan is pretty quiet.

It all depends on how you use your equipment, or critically a) how loudly you listen to your amp, and b) how long the amp is in use for. The amp is responsible for the majority of emitted heat and the amount of time and the volume the amp is running at will control how much heat the amp gives off.

In most situations the Alphason or BDI would be fine, if the amp is subject to heavy use an active cooling system will help. Hope this helps you out.

Wow, those stands are all great but they are really stretching my budget... Is there nothing like this on the market that is any cheaper than this? If not, I'm genuinely surprised.

Hi,

There is a new brand coming into the UK around mid april, they have awesome products with active cooling with prices starting between £300-£400, if you can wait this would be your best option.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom