Encanto Movie Review & Comments

Casimir Harlow

Movies Editor
Reaction score
Watched this with the kids the other day, it's very, very average and by the numbers like a generic Netflix animation. Not a patch on something like Raya or Moana which had more than just good visuals; plus the singing in Encanto was at times dreadful.

Not Disney's usual standard imo, for their 60th animated movie they could have tried much harder.

So generic and forgettable it hurts.

Personally I loved it, enough to see it twice. Great music, visually stunning and some really good songs. Not seeing the generic-ness of it at all; looks/sounds/feels like a WDAS film, not Dreamworks or numerous other studios (unlike say, "Ralph Breaks the Internet"). The story itself isn't anything revolutionary, but Disney films have never really been about that. While I have some complaints about the story and development (or lack of) for certain characters, it's an easy 8/10 Disney film for me.

Saw this over the weekend and it is VERY slight.
A couple of powerful numbers make up for the almost non-existent storyline that, uncomfortably, revolves around keeping people with inherited power in power. Hurray for that?

Saw this over the weekend and it is VERY slight.
A couple of powerful numbers make up for the almost non-existent storyline that, uncomfortably, revolves around keeping people with inherited power in power. Hurray for that?
Seen The Lion King lately?

Saw this with the kids over the weekend at the cinema and the first film I have fallen asleep at in a very long time.

I liked this but agree the story is rather forgettable and the sentiments are everything you’d come to expect from a Disney-minted product. It’s another culturally distinct tale like Raya, Moana and Coco. But I really didn’t care for the songs at all. The animation quality however is dazzling and, seen in 4k on a half decent HDR panel, it’s like being in a sweet shop. Especially the multi-hued floral displays and those luminous candle effects. It’s a beauty. All surface though? Maybe. 6/10

Absolutely gorgeous animation and cinematography on this, looks beautiful in 4K HDR on Disney+

Watched this yesterday with the daughter (5) and son (8) and thought it was alright, probably a 6/10.
Then the daughter wanted to watch it again this morning, so we stuck it on again and for some reason enjoyed it more the 2nd time around. Would bump up to a 7.5/10 at least. Seeing my daughter enjoying it so much that she couldn't stop dancing probably helped.

Personally I liked it more than Raya and also Frozen, the gorgeous bright colours, atmos soundtrack and best animated curly hair I've ever see probably help with that. :D

I got a new tv last week, my first OLED (LG 77 C1) and the first thing we played on it was this movie and it’s the most visually stunning thing I have ever seen. Movie generally underwhelming though.

It took a couple of watches but this has firmly become the favourite in the house.

Fantastic film and soundtrack to match. Great stuff.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom