1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Enabling DV-in

Discussion in 'Camcorders, Action Cams & Video Editing Forum' started by sg4455, Jan 9, 2005.

1. sg4455

sg4455

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Does anybody know whether Sony's HC18E camcorder can be hacked to enable DV-in functionality? This is my first dabble in the field digital video and never appreciated the benefit of having a camera with DV-in capabilities and hence naturally bought the cheaper version which doesnt do it.

A have noticed (from the web) that a number of cameras on the market can be modified but I havent found anything for this particular camera. Any help would be much appreciated as my hard disk is now bursting at the seems and I need to transfer the footage back to the camera.

2. MarkE19

MarkE19

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,380
    If your camcorder is a new model then there is no way of enabling the DV-in function as it is hardware disabled.
    Earlier models were able to be enabled because they were normally only locked down in the firmware as without DV-in they were classed lower for tax reasons and could therefore be sold cheaper. But now the EU have said that if it is possible to enable the DV-in then it will be classed as being a VCR, that pays more tax, rather than as a camcorder which is charged less tax.

:censored: EU tax laws!

Mark.

3. silverrope

silverrope

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I am new to digital camcorders as I have (or I should say had) a Video 8 camcorder for many years which recently died. I am planning on buying a Sony Digital 8 camcorder (TRV480) to playback/digitize the old Video 8 tapes and use the firewire link to a borrowed miniDV JVC camcorder to make backup copies on miniDV. This means using DV-in on the JVC. But by reading this and other threads, it seems DV-in are disabled on European camcorders. The manual of the JVC (printed in Germany) indicates that one can record digital signals using DV-in so it seems like it would work. But I wouldn't want to buy a new camcorder before knowing if my backup plan is ok. Is there a list of European model camcorders that have DV-in enabled?

I guess if one cannot find a DV-in enabled camcorder, then the only choice is to make backups on DVD??? Any help or info is appreciated.

Best regards,
    Mak

4. Roy Mallard

Roy Mallard

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Not quite, as in any market the cheapest cameras tend to have the lowest specification, and don't tend to have DV-in, if you go up the range a bit then DV-In starts to appear. There are loads of DV-In JVC camcorders kicking around, the problem is that new camcorders with DV-out only cannot be altered (some older cameras could).

5. Centurion

Centurion

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    you can by what they call a widget which allows dv-in if they still sell em

6. MarkE19

MarkE19

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,380
    They do still sell them, but they definately wont work on the latest models as the EU have said that if DV-in can be enabled then it counts as being enabled when the cam is sold! Therefore DV-in is now hardware disabled. See my previous post stating this.

Mark.