Enabling Atmos on Sony PS4 / STR-DN1080

ChrisA777

Novice Member
Hi folks,

I set up my new STR-DN1080 receiver yesterday and was disappointed that I was unable to get Atmos tracks to play. My PS4, connected by HDMI, is acting as my Bluray player. The receiver is in turn connected by HDMI to a Sony XBR-65X850C TV if that matters.

What I've tried:

I followed the instructions here: Dolby Developer

to set the PS4 to prioritize bitstream (priority port is HDMI OUT, audio format is "Bistream (Dolby)"). I then set the Bluray (Roger Waters' the Wall, the only Atmos Bluray I own) to "Atmos" from the Bluray's home menu. And when the movie is playing I open options->settings->audio and select "Bitstream (Direct)".

The receiver reports it's getting TrueHD, not Atmos.

I am not sure what could be wrong or what else to try. Any tips appreciated.

Thanks, Chris.

dante01

Distinguished Member
What you already done in relation to the PS4's settings is all that would be required for you to bitstream the TrueHD audio and the associated Atmos metadata. I's suggest you make sure the PS4's settings are indeed correct and if so then the issue is wit yur receiver not recognising the Atmos metadata present within the Dolby TrueHD stream. Also ensure you are not applying any additional upmixing or sound modes to the incoming audio stream. Neural:X for example will negate the Atmos metadata in favour of its upmixing.

Last edited:

ChrisA777

Novice Member
Thanks for the response. I've (repeatedly) verified the PS4's settings are correct. Do you know how I can verify the problem is the receiver not recognizing Atmos metadata and, more importantly, fix that issue if it is the problem? Thanks again.

Edit: I figured it out thanks to the suggestion to check if the receiver was set to add any effects. Under the somewhat confusing "sound effects" menu on the receiver I had selected "Direct," which is supposed to do nothing to the incoming signal. When I instead select "Auto Format Decoding" it now recognizes the Atmos stream. So apparently "direct" actually does something to the Atmos metadata.

Thanks again for the help.

Last edited:

dante01

Distinguished Member
The fact that the AV receiver is getting TrueHD is proof that the source is in fact bitsreaming the audio. It therefore has to be something t do with the receiver as to why it isn't recognising the presence of the Atmos metadata within the TrueHD stream.

citywalker

Do you have all the speakers connected, which are needed for Atmos?
Upfiring or in ceiling speakers must be installed.

dante01

Distinguished Member
That is a good point. You'd need at least a 5.1.2 speaker configuration to be able to play Atmos audio or even have the receiver acknowledge the presence of Atmos metadata. If you've not the additional speaker then you'd only get the TrueHD base layer and the Atmos metadata would be ignored by the receiver.

dante01

Distinguished Member
I realize this is a year old... But I had to comment. PS4 don't support Atmos. At all.

A source doesn't need to support Atmos, all it needs is an ability to bitstream TrueHD and or Dolby Digital Plus. Atmos is simply metadata held within either TrueHD or Dolby Digital Plus formatted audio. Bitstream such audio including the Atmos metadata to an AV receiver with Atmos decoding abilities and you will get Atmos via a PS4. You cannot however decode the audio using the source device and output it as PCM if wanting to access the Atmos metadata. Audio has to be Bitstreamed to the AV receiver for the AV receiver to decode.

Last edited:

SunnyIntervals

Currently though, there are no PS4 games that support Atmos, which is a shame. Hoping BF V might offer it

I must admit, my PS4 outputs PCM at the moment, but I don't use it for watching films anymore. Might switch it to Bitstream out of interest though.

There is always confusing "advice" out there about the best settings for this, that and the other!

dante01

Distinguished Member
Currently though, there are no PS4 games that support Atmos, which is a shame. Hoping BF V might offer it

I must admit, my PS4 outputs PCM at the moment, but I don't use it for watching films anymore. Might switch it to Bitstream out of interest though.

There is always confusing "advice" out there about the best settings for this, that and the other!

You can quite happily configure a PS4 to bitstream audio accessed via Blu-ray discs. Although they are less abundant than UHD titles including it , you can get HD Blu-rays that do include Atmos audio.

There's little if any advantage gained by having the source decode the audio prior to output as opposed to bitstreaming it and having the AV receiver handle the decoding. Most of the sentiment expressed on dedicated gaming boards is utter crap expressed by people who have no idea what PCM is. REgardless of which device does the decoding, you get the exact same audio quality. The only difference is which device does the decoding.

Blu-ray Disc Audio - Bitstream vs PCM Output - Which Is Best?

Note that you have to bitstream in order to gain access to the metadata associated with Atmos and or DTS:X.

MrJagermeister

Novice Member
Hi folks,

I set up my new STR-DN1080 receiver yesterday and was disappointed that I was unable to get Atmos tracks to play. My PS4, connected by HDMI, is acting as my Bluray player. The receiver is in turn connected by HDMI to a Sony XBR-65X850C TV if that matters.

What I've tried:

I followed the instructions here: Dolby Developer

to set the PS4 to prioritize bitstream (priority port is HDMI OUT, audio format is "Bistream (Dolby)"). I then set the Bluray (Roger Waters' the Wall, the only Atmos Bluray I own) to "Atmos" from the Bluray's home menu. And when the movie is playing I open options->settings->audio and select "Bitstream (Direct)".

The receiver reports it's getting TrueHD, not Atmos.

I am not sure what could be wrong or what else to try. Any tips appreciated.

Thanks, Chris.

What you already done in relation to the PS4's settings is all that would be required for you to bitstream the TrueHD audio and the associated Atmos metadata. I's suggest you make sure the PS4's settings are indeed correct and if so then the issue is wit yur receiver not recognising the Atmos metadata present within the Dolby TrueHD stream. Also ensure you are not applying any additional upmixing or sound modes to the incoming audio stream. Neural:X for example will negate the Atmos metadata in favour of its upmixing.

——————

Hi, Chris —

I have the same AVR as you (Sony STR-DN1080) with a PS4 Pro, an XBOX One X, and I’m using an LG C8 OLED for my TV. For my speaker setup, I have a 5.1.2 (FH) with the Dolby Atmos height speakers mounted on the wall angled downwards (so much better of a result for me than the upward firing method since they don’t have to bounce off of anything to get to me and the room sounds much more full).

1. I was struggling with determining the best sound option for the PS4 — Linear PCM, Bitstream (Dolby), and Bitstream (DTS) for regular video game playing (to take best advantage of the 5.1.2 surround with the new Atmos height speakers that I just added). What did you end up deciding on, and why?

2. Which setting do you prefer for every-day cable TV viewing? It defaults to Dolby Digital whenever I change it to the cable input... But from there, do you mess with AFD/MultiStereo/Direct and/or Dolby Surround/DTS: Neural X?

3. Do you find any use in enabling DSD Native / Pure Direct under Audio Settings on the AVR?

4. Sound Optimizer / Dynamic Range Compressor? (I can’t really hear the difference at low volume).

5. How about calibration type (Full Flat / Engineer / Front Reference / Off)?

6. Is there anything else that you’ve discovered or think would be useful to know?

—————

I used the D.C.A.C function with the included microphone to auto-calibrate the AVR, to get the distances set. And then I went through and changed all speaker sizes to small and set the crossover frequency to 10Hz higher than the lowest threshold for each of them. And am using the Type A Phantom Surround (Back) Speakers. I was a little disappointed to find out that I couldn’t add another pair of speakers to make it 7.1.2 using the Zone 2, and am constantly frustrated with having to go into settings on my XB1X every time I turn it on and change the audio settings back to Dolby Atmos.

I ***really*** wish that the PS4/Pro had a Dolby Atmos app, so I pretty much entirely use my XB1X to watch Netflix/Vudu movies and shows with Dolby Vision/Dolby Atmos. I absolutely love the PS4 but they dropped the ball by not even offering the Atmos (which was a couple bucks to buy as an app on the XBOX One).

MrJagermeister

Novice Member
Oh!! For anyone coming across this in the future (that has this same AVR), I couldn’t figure out why setting it to Linear PCM kept setting it to 2.0 stereo (I used “Uncharted 4’s” audio menu that shows the number of channels available). I finally discovered that it was because I have the STR-DN1080 AVR settings set to: (HDMI Settings —> Audio Out —> TV+AMP). The LG C8 has a surprisingly great speaker for a TV and I usually set the TV’s volume to 10~15 or so to help fill out the center channel on top of the 5.1.2 surround (sort of like having an extra soundbar). I have it plugged into the ARC input but have eARC turned off because it makes it so you can’t have any volume coming from the LG C8 TV.

Anyhow, if someone finds this via googling and is wondering why LPCM is only giving them a stereo signal, you need to change the Audio Out from TV + AMP to AMP only. The LG C8 is a Dolby Atmos device, but I can’t figure out a way for it to be incorporated into the rest of the Dolby Atmos speakers (so I’m assuming it’s just advertising that to connect to a Dolby Atmos soundbar). For those that don’t care about having volume from their TV to fill out the center channel, setting it to AMP will fix it so Linear PCM gives you 7.1 again, and you can go to (Speaker Settings —> Center Speaker Lift Up) to add a bit of the center channel to the height speakers from 1-10, or adjust the level or equalization of your center speaker.

toggyuel

Standard Member
Oh!! For anyone coming across this in the future (that has this same AVR), I couldn’t figure out why setting it to Linear PCM kept setting it to 2.0 stereo (I used “Uncharted 4’s” audio menu that shows the number of channels available). I finally discovered that it was because I have the STR-DN1080 AVR settings set to: (HDMI Settings —> Audio Out —> TV+AMP). The LG C8 has a surprisingly great speaker for a TV and I usually set the TV’s volume to 10~15 or so to help fill out the center channel on top of the 5.1.2 surround (sort of like having an extra soundbar). I have it plugged into the ARC input but have eARC turned off because it makes it so you can’t have any volume coming from the LG C8 TV.

Anyhow, if someone finds this via googling and is wondering why LPCM is only giving them a stereo signal, you need to change the Audio Out from TV + AMP to AMP only. The LG C8 is a Dolby Atmos device, but I can’t figure out a way for it to be incorporated into the rest of the Dolby Atmos speakers (so I’m assuming it’s just advertising that to connect to a Dolby Atmos soundbar). For those that don’t care about having volume from their TV to fill out the center channel, setting it to AMP will fix it so Linear PCM gives you 7.1 again, and you can go to (Speaker Settings —> Center Speaker Lift Up) to add a bit of the center channel to the height speakers from 1-10, or adjust the level or equalization of your center speaker.

I’d just like to add to this ,I’ve been pulling my balding hair out with an Atmos issue on Xbox one x . The Xbox kept reverting to stereo from Atmos ,to confuse matters I got Atmos back a couple of times by going through set up ,on the Dolby Atmos app on the Xbox .but it kept reverting ? .I found the TV+AMP option on the 1080 receiver ,I don’t use the tv speakers so turned it to AMP. ,I was able to get Atmos straight away again on the Xbox . BUT THE BLOODY TV+AMP option has twice reverted from AMP back to TV+AMP . WHY ?,I must have a techs poltergeist ! Any answers ?

MrJagermeister

Novice Member
Ugh. I know the struggle — it’s a ritual now that every time I turn on my XBOX One X, I go first thing to change it from stereo uncompressed back to Dolby Atmos. It drives me f’in crazy beyond words. I’m not sure what your ARC setting is, and what you want from it? Maybe your TV is set to ARC even though the amp itself isn’t? I’ve experienced something like this while pulling my own balding hair out trying to figure out what was going on. If you have no need for the TV’s sound and don’t use the apps on it to play stuff (I’d imagine you get better results swapping to the XBOX anyway where you can have Dolby Atmos through your receiver, then you could ditch ARC entirely and just let your receiver do the work.

Assuming your cable (TV cable, I mean, like a DVR or box) is running through your receiver, that is. If that’s the case, then the only sound that would be coming out of your TV itself would be apps like Netflix/Hulu/Prime/Vudu or whatever, all of which you can just swap to the XBOX instead and use them there. Slightly less convenient, but I feel like having the XBOX set to Dolby Atmos enhances even non-Atmos encoded sources so I’ve quit using the LG’s apps entirely (as wonderful and convenient as they are). So if that’s the case with you, just go through and make sure that all ARC options aren’t selected on both your amp and TV (and any options like “let receiver control TV” or vice versa). Don’t know if that’s any help at all, but I wish you good luck in the fight against constantly resetting the Dolby Atmos configuration on the XBOX One.

toggyuel

Standard Member
I’ll give the arc delete a try ,I don’t use the Panasonic Fz802 apps so no big deal for me not using them as I normally do use the Xbox for apps and movies . I guess it could be arc resetting the TV+AMP setting ,god knows why .Modern tech getting to smart & dumb for our own good .thanks

The latest video from AVForums

Star Wars Andor, Woman King, more Star Trek 4K, Rings of Power & the latest TV, movies & 4K releases
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Full fat HDMI teeshirts

Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom