enable dhcp on laptop

marko polo

Standard Member
Reaction score
not sure if this is the right place to post this.anyway,i tried to connect my sony bdp-s370 bluray to a laptop for the first time and it wont connect to the internet.the screen message says about making sure you are plugged in,correct cable,power is on etc.the last thing it says is check that the routers dhpc server is enabled.how do i do that? i havent a clue.

Connect the laptop to 1 of the router's LAN ports via a standard RJ45 ethernet cable.
Then log into the router.
(Open Internet Explorer and type the router's IP address in your browser's address bar and press enter).
Depending on your make and model of router you may have to enter a password to get into "router admin" mode.
Most router's state the IP address on the base or rear of the router - something like 192.168.1.1
Some also state the default user name and password for admin login. If not, your router's manual, normally downloadable as a PDF file from the manufacturer's support website, will tell you).
Once logged into the router you should be able to find , check and change (if necessary) settings like DHCP.
Again the manual will describe this.

Why are you trying to connect the Blu Ray player to your laptop? It needs to be connected to your router in order to get internet access.

That's a very good point (that I didn't spot at past midnight today when I posted).

Why are you trying to connect the Blu Ray player to your laptop? It needs to be connected to your router in order to get internet access.

i dont have a router,just the laptop.why does it make a difference? surely the internet signal can be gotten through the laptop?

How are you connecting it to the laptop. If it is with a cable you may need a crossover cable.

Also how does you laptop connect to the net?

How are you connecting it to the laptop. If it is with a cable you may need a crossover cable.

Also how does you laptop connect to the net?

its connected with a ethernet cable.just moved house and theres no signal with the dongle so the neighbour told me his code for connecting to his router.

You would need to set up a bridge on the laptop to share the connection with the Blu ray player. Thats how I used to have my Xbox wired up (PC wireless to downstairs, xbox connected to PC via LAN, connections bridged)

DHCP will already be enabled on the router, otherwise your laptop wouldn't be getting an IP address and working.

Be easier just waiting though till you have your own net set-up, and connecting direct to the router.

Last edited:
I believe You are breaking the law by connecting wirelessly to a BB connection that you do not own even if the owner gives you permission.

Given that costs are not excessive you should get your own connection sorted out.

I believe You are breaking the law by connecting wirelessly to a BB connection that you do not own even if the owner gives you permission.

Given that costs are not excessive you should get your own connection sorted out.

Im sure you can go around to a friends house and connect to the wifi, and ther cant be an issue with the number of devices connected to the router (according to the ISP), unless it says something specifically in the T'c & C's,

As per OP's question, im sure the only way to do this is bridging or sharing the computer's connection.

Im sure you can go around to a friends house and connect to the wifi, and ther cant be an issue with the number of devices connected to the router (according to the ISP), unless it says something specifically in the T'c & C's,

As per OP's question, im sure the only way to do this is bridging or sharing the computer's connection.

Suggest you reread the post. He is not in his neighbours house he is in his own house. T&C state quite clearly that the connection is for use at the address provided by the payer. That includes wireless connections.

Do you have any links to these T's & C's?

In terms of legalities, if this is the case (and this may well vary between the ISP's), does it state the consequences of breaching contract?

If my neighbour is my relative or friend and I want to share files wirelessly he would obviously need to be on the same network. In this case, my ISP doesnt provide technical assistance so that only my files are shared but internet access is restricted to only the PC's in my home. So then how is this enforced?

Last edited:
I used T&Cs for BT as that is my ISP. Their one states that the connection is for use at the address given by the payee. I suspect most other ISPs would be the same. You can ,at the same instance, see a problem with a statement like that. WiFi has a greater range than the walls of your house.
Worst consequences stated is termination of internet connection. What it doesn't say is if you would be liable for remaining costs if terminated before end of minimum contract time.(usually 12 months)

Legally the only way it can be enforced is if someone reports the party or parties concerned. However in the example here the 2 parties have agreed to share the connection.(so I don't think they will report each other) The T&Cs and Law dont have a provision for this. The way to avoid the legal side would be for both parties to have a written agreement stating that the cost of the connection is shared between the 2 parties for the duration of use.The extra safe way is to also have money transfers to back it up but in most cases because of the sums involved it would be more like cash transactions(receipts instead)

At the end of the day this post shows the black and white view of the Law(no grey or inbetween) and the short comings of the T&Cs to cover all possibilities for usage.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom