1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Emulation on TV

Discussion in 'General Video Gaming Chat' started by shoehorn, Jul 29, 2004.

1. shoehorn

shoehorn

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +32
    I've found a couple of emulators, after reading plenty of threads about them on here, and would like to play them on my TV.
    What's the best way to do this please.....?
    Can I simply get a TV out card for my PC and connet it up (if so, which one is recommended please) or should I look for a modded Xbox / Playstation.
    Thanks.....

2. Sinzer

Sinzer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,100
    Interesting question, I have really wanted to do this for a while, I think the cheapest solution is most probably use the TV-Out on your graphics card if you have one. The problem I have is that my TV is upstairs in my lounge whereas my PC is in my bedroom. There is no current option of moving either!

The next best solution would be to have a modded X-Box, however I don't really have a huge amount of knowledge on this and no experience. The emu's seem to fairly comprehensive but I don't know if they can cope with translation patches etc. or a variety of games, I certainly use two different MAME/CPS emulators to cater for different games. The same goes for the SNES as I have to use Snes9x for some games and Zsnes for others.

3. ian_guinan

ian_guinan

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +18
    I would recommend you go for the option of a chipped xbox and emulator. Can't beat it for classic arcade action on your tv.

As a bonus if you look hard enough you should also be able to have pretty much all the console games you wish at your fingertips!

Ian

4. shoehorn

shoehorn

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +32
    Thanks for the replys, tempted by the TV out, otherwise I'd have to "justify" another box to the Mrs....
    I know that I don't have TV out on my PC - I think I've got DVI - so is there a cheap card that anyone knows of, and will it output the sound too...?
    I guess I'm looking for something like card with UHF output.....

5. Solar

Solar

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +477
    ive been emulating ever since i got a pc years ago, and i always play them on my tv now, my tv is the other side of the room from my pc so i just went out and bought a 10 meter svhs cable and i havent regreted it yet
    for sound im just using a 3mm jack to 2phono lead of the same length straight from my sound card
    to top it off i have a n64/psx usb adapter with a 5m extension lead so i can basicly sit anywhere i want in the room

now i have snes, mega drive, nes, master system, psx@1024x768, n64@1024x768, mame and amiga all on my tv and are all emulated much better than the xbox can ever do :D

6. andy572

andy572
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    As has already been said, shoehorn, a video card with TV-out can be a good option - and if you aren't all that interested in modern-day games, you don't need a state-of-the-art card either (as emulation generally relies on the CPU). :smashin:

A year or so ago, I bought a second-hand Radeon 9000 Pro and haven't had any regrets. However, it should be noted that results do appear variable. Er, but I don't know which is the variable bit! :laugh: With that, I'm referring to the output of my brother's now defunct 9500 Pro card. It was good, but it gave a very soft image. Still, it could be thought of as 'free anti-aliasing'... :cool:

The variable parts involve the different TV and video card, along with one's own expectations and preferences. Oh, and there are some people for whom s-video just isn't good enough... :smoke:

For my purposes and means, I'm happy - and all those that have seen the Radeon output have been impressed (especially my brother... and that was before I turned off the TV's blur-o-vision™ (noise reduction)!).

If it's of any interest, I also find that although a 1024x768 resolution is 'passable', 800x600 gives a much clearer and brighter image.

Hmm, I think that's all. As little as thirty pounds-ish for the card, add some more beer tokens for the s-video and audio cables... and you're done.

Oh, there are nVidia alternatives to the ATi cards, too. I'd expect similar results, but didn't mention them as I have no experience of anything other than a few Radeon cards.

Good luck, anyway :)

7. Solar

Solar

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +477
    hmm
    i wouldnt say 1024x768 is passable, i seem to get a much better picture with psx and n64 emulation on that resolution
    but then i have a high end nvidia fx 256mb ddr using the openGL drivers with epsxe and project64 so the gfx card plays a big part on them emu's

i went from a 9000 pro 128mb ddr to this nvidia and its the biggest mistake i EVER made towards my pc :(

8. CAS FAN

CAS FAN

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7,728
    For emulation i'd definatelly recommend the PC as it's far more powerfull (allowing for better emulation of newer games), more versitile and can output far better resolutions. They are supposed to be bringing out wireless Audio & Video (s-video) transmitters and receivers but as of now I don;t think they are available in this country. The option is therefore a long S-Video or DVI lead to the TV/Plasma/PJ etc.

I'm not overly bothered in console emulation myself but I do enjoy a bit of Mame. For this you really can't beat a Jamma cab to give you the right feel etc. For me arcade games are rubbish when played on a joypad so to play them on a TV you'd need to build an arcade controller (not too difficult) or buy a custom made one like the Hotrod, X-Arcade or SlikStick. I guess not everyone has the room (or is allowed by her indoors!) to get an arcade cab but it really is the best option when it comes to emulation IMO. Whilst playing arcade games on a 8 ft projector screen may be pretty spectacular (and also worth doing if you can) it's not really emulating the arcade experience, which is personally what I am into.

9. Sinzer

Sinzer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,100
    Also, to stick with PC, I looked at getting a shuttle case (which I will when I do my next major upgrade), these things are tiny and can easily be moved to sit up by the tv.

The cost of putting one together assuming you move most of your old equipment across is not that far off a chipped x-box with bigger HD.

10. CAS FAN

CAS FAN

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7,728
    That's a great idea! I've been wondering what I could do with my PC next time I upgrade!

11. shoehorn

shoehorn

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +32
    OK - thanks for the replys.... I want to go down the PC route... but I'm still a little unsure of what I need to do.

Can you let me know if my current thinking is correct please?

I'd like to connect either the VGA or DVI from my graphics card to my TV by the way of an adaptor / cable...
    However I don't think these exist.

Therefore I'll need a new gaphics card.

If my only option is a new graphics card, will this replace my existing one, or can I have both cards installed, running at the same time, so that I can connect the TV to the new one and the Monitior to the existing one, and see the same output from both at the same time.

Thanks for any further help.... I'm still a little confused... :zonked:

12. Solar

Solar

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +477
    you can have 2 gfx cards but one of them will have to be a old pci card
    also you cant have some one browsing windows on one and you playing emu's on the tv
    the best bet will just to have 1 gfx card with a svhs lead to the tv, you can have both screens on at same time cloned(same pic on both) or extended (use 2 screens to make up 1 pic) vertical or horizontal

13. shoehorn

shoehorn

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +32
  14. Sinzer

Sinzer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,100
    Your info is slightly false Solar, the latest Nvidia and Ati cards allow you to utilise dual monitor displays, allowing you to set different resolutions and have different screens.

An example is here :-

http://graphics.tomshardware.com/graphic/20040216/dual_displya-01.html

I would buy a newish graphics card, anything around the 70-100quid mark should do and simply replace your old card. Or if you want to go budget :-

http://www.komplett.co.uk/k/ki.asp?sku=122219&cks=PRL

It is worth having a decent card as the bigger games on emus will benefit from it.

15. Solar

Solar

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +477
    nothing was false about my post :s
    i just never mentioned the different resolutions and stuff which are'nt that important for emulation

i was trying to tell him that you couldnt play games on one and browse the net on the other (example) not because the gfx card wont let you but because windows wouldnt

16. Sinzer

Sinzer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,100
    But the way I understand it is that Dual view monitors do allow you to do that, the GPU splits the signal and each screen is seperate.

Certainly my mate who works from home has two screens and he used to play EVE:Online on one and do his programming on the other.

I assume this is true for a signal split between monitor and TV. Windows XP certainly supports this capability, you may have trouble with 95/98.

Never really tried it myself :p