employment law - holiday entitlement

I’m not a hgv driver and all I’m saying is that on this current accrued holiday scheme I can’t take my holiday when I like normally I use all my holiday by august as I don’t like taking holiday in the autumn/ winter and can’t do this on a accrued scheme

I’m not a hgv driver and all I’m saying is that on this current accrued holiday scheme I can’t take my holiday when I like normally I use all my holiday by august as I don’t like taking holiday in the autumn/ winter and can’t do this on a accrued scheme
What more do you want from the forum ? You always have the option of changing to another company and check their holiday policy before taking the job.

My initial hope was someone else was on a accrued holiday scheme and managed to get of it after one year

But I’ve not had that yet on here so was going to archive this thread anyway

It's unfortunate that you joined right at the end of the year, as it means that you will need to work about 22 months before you have worked a full holiday year.

I would imagine that by next year, you might have a good case for this.

Part of the problem is that businesses cannot claw back holiday they have given you by reducing your final pay packet, so if you use up more than you have accrued, they are the losers.

Unpaid is the way to go and then see if once its accrued, they will then count it as paid and give you some money back.

Part of the problem is that businesses cannot claw back holiday they have given you by reducing your final pay packet, so if you use up more than you have accrued, they are the losers.

I'm not sure if I agree with you on this point.

It's pretty standard on all employment contract's that if one use's more holiday than they have accrued, it will be clawed back from the employee's final pay.

I'm not sure if I agree with you on this point.

It's pretty standard on all employment contract's that if one use's more holiday than they have accrued, it will be clawed back from the employee's final pay.
Something at the back of my mind is saying yes it can but can't take you under minimum wage.

My initial hope was someone else was on a accrued holiday scheme and managed to get of it after one year

Yes, but that would be a different company.

Just because Company X allows you to start accruing holiday after a year it doesn't mean that your company has to.

Presumably the vacation system was outlined in your contract and I just don't see you have grounds to file a grievance procedure.

My understand was they could if it was written into the contract, but not otherwise.

My understand was they could if it was written into the contract, but not otherwise.
You are probably right, but guidance is that you don't, particularly with minimum wage workers, as you could be prosecuted for not paying the minimum wage.

I know the company I work for won't attempt to claim back holiday taken but not accrued.

I guess it's possible, depending on notice period (which may not even be worked), pay frequency, and duration of leave, that even withholding final pay might still leave the employee overpaid. And that's not accounting for a dismissal situation.

I’ve been advised by citizens advice that when you work on a zero hour contract you have to work 1 year on a accrued holiday scheme and then after the first year the company should use my first year’s employment pay as a average to work out what my daily holiday rate should be in my 2nd year employment

I’ve been advised by citizens advice that when you work on a zero hour contract you have to work 1 year on a accrued holiday scheme and then after the first year the company should use my first year’s employment pay as a average to work out what my daily holiday rate should be in my 2nd year employment
But wasn't your problem that you don't have any holiday entitlement in January rather than the pay rate ?

Yes that’s correct but the first years work should be for a average for the next years holiday

Click on 'report' on your post and choose a reason - mods will be alerted.
Bear in mind the topic might still have discussion value to other members now and in the future.
1625953397272.png

You can just switch off notifications if you don't want to see any more replies.

Agreed.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom