Empire: Total War

robfosters

Prominent Member
Reaction score
This game looks the absolute nuts.

http://www.totalwar.com/index.html?page=/en/communityandforums/empire.html&nav=/en/6/8/

No ETA yet, but it should give you more than enough time to upgrade your graphics cards as it looks pretty hardware intensive.

If your a total war fan, it looks brilliant. Entire new engine, built from the ground up, with full scale naval battles where you control entire fleets.

This has the possibility of being an absolute classic :smashin:

Will this purely be about naval battles or are land battles still a feature? Graphics look great!

Naval and land battles. The entire graphics engine has been done to include realistic land and sea scapes as well.

The land battles give you stuff like muskets and cannons and all the weapons that were used late 18th-early 19th century. It also includes famous characters to fight, such as Wellington and Napoleon.

robfosters, what kind of system would you need to run this game?

Cheers mate...:)

Well, there is no ETA yet, so they will continue it update the engine to keep in line with current specs.

However, I would guess along these lines to play at a decent level:-

Quad Core
2GB RAM
512MB Graphics card (like the 8800GT series). Although the new 9 series may be worth waiting for.
Decent sound card like the creative gamer series is a must.

It may be even higher when released. Game is supposed to be much more advanced than previous TW games.

We'll just have to wait till nearer the time. I am already saving though for some new hardware. Gonna run 2 X 9 series Nvidia cards in SLI mode. That should easily cover it.

Oh,the joys of wallet busting PC gaming ;)

We'll just have to wait till nearer the time. I am already saving though for some new hardware. Gonna run 2 X 9 series Nvidia cards in SLI mode. That should easily cover it.

The 9 series due soon is effectively two chips on one card (well effectively two PCB's) does that mean you plan to run a quad SLI? :eek:

Why not :smashin:

The more the merrier.

However, it's not double the speed as you think. It's architecture is different, so it's not quite like having an sli setup. Each GPU chip has to share the card resources with the other GPU on the card, whereas in sli, each chip has all available resources to itself. It can still only send data as fast as the bus speed. One of the main advantages in having 2 chips on one card really is just the cooling. If 2 GPU's share the load, then the card will run cooler, which leads to better system stability under a heavy load (like Crysis at max settings), and you may not need to shell out on expensive cooling options like liquid cooling. However, the in's and out's of this remain to be seen. However the cooling theory has already been proved with the lower running temps of the dual and quad core series. Nvidia obviously thought this was the way to go.

At the moment (with the 780i), tri-sli is the max, but it's all you need. 3 9 series cards in one rig. Jesus! That would be off the page. It may cost the same as a new PC!, but you're future proofed for a long time.

One of the main advantages in having 2 chips on one card really is just the cooling. If 2 GPU's share the load, then the card will run cooler

But I've heard that the card will run very hot and will end up having a massive cooler in the middle! :eek:

Surely they can't be in-game realtime screenshots :eek: Seems like release date will be a good time to buy a new PC.

Mind you Total War battle graphics are generally amazing. This is my most anticipated title of 2008 and that includes PS3 and Wii games. Loved Rome: Total War.

I generally prefer my strategy games to be turn based and my battles to be real time. Creative Assembly have come up with the perfect combination. The awesome graphics are just the icing on a very nice cake (chocolate fudge cake to be precise :cool: :blush: )

RDB :smashin:

They could very well be in game screenshots.

I remember looking at Rome: Total war shots, and i thought "surely thats cut scenes". I was wrong. Zoom in close and they were there in all their glory.

CA have been accused of resting on their laurels with MTW2. Industry insiders said that CA actually agreed with this criticism, and now they realise that with PC hardware going through the roof and the power of quad cores and 8800's upwards, they can produce an absolute blockbuster of a game that will sweep all before it.

We know they can do it, as they have done it repeatedly before. And I believe they will do it again.

Absolutely cannot wait :smashin:

I remember looking at Rome: Total war shots, and i thought "surely thats cut scenes". I was wrong. Zoom in close and they were there in all their glory.

Same here. I bought the game out of curiosity about the graphics and found the playability was amazing too. Easily my favourite ever PC game.

I've just seen some exclusive footage over at Eurogamer and I have to say it's looking incredible (they've got gameplay footage). They have also said that the game will be released on 6th February 2009. :thumbsup:

Empire is now officially released on 4 March.

minimum specs have been released and are as follows:

2.4Ghz single core processor
256MB Gfx card (DX9 compaitble)
1GB RAM (For XP, 2GB if using Vista)

However, as any one who reads this board is aware, dont expect a great experience using that hardware.

I think to be safe you should be looking at:

2.4Ghz dual core
512MB GFX card (Nvidia 8, 9 or GTX series would do nicely as game could possibly be DX10 optimised).
Minimum 2GB of RAM.

Special edition will be released. this is it:-

empire.jpg

Another little trailer:

Empire: Total War Special Forces Edition with GAME Exclusive 'Death's Head Hussars' In-Game Unit - PC Games - GAME.co.uk

This is without doubt my most anticipated game ever

It looks really good, I always like this kind of games. Although you need a powerful computer which can support it.

Looking forward to it! Rome Total War was one of my favorite games ever.

I hope my Rig can handle it though!

Even with 2 8800GTXs, I am using a pretty high res monitor so kinda worried...

Anyway, im the gamplay will be sweet. Looking forward to the sea battles.

Just brought a similar system to yours AML, and i hope mine can run it close to full settings. I only went for a single Radeon HD 4870 1024MB though, so will be a little bit behind you. On the flip side i just want 1980x1200

I see you have Overclocked to 3.6gz, that is certainly something i need to consider.

I see you have Overclocked to 3.6gz, that is certainly something i need to consider.

That chip overclocks really well. Its 45nm (same as the newer i7) so it runs much cooler than previous chips.

Depending on your mobo and memory, you should be able to do the same.

And im only using air cooling by the way!

stock is 2.8ghz so you should be able to get it to at least 3.2ghz easy.

Right now for me its my old(ish) graphics cards that are the bottleneck of my system. If i want better frame rates I would need a newer card.

That chip overclocks really well. Its 45nm (same as the newer i7) so it runs much cooler than previous chips.

Depending on your mobo and memory, you should be able to do the same.

And im only using air cooling by the way!

stock is 2.8ghz so you should be able to get it to at least 3.2ghz easy.

Right now for me its my old(ish) graphics cards that are the bottleneck of my system. If i want better frame rates I would need a newer card.

Youre system definitely deserves a GTX295. I still only have 1 8800GTS, but am now looking to upgrade to a GTX285. My CPU would bottleneck a 295 too much to make it worthwhile.

I just do not want to play this game on anything less than max settings. My res is only 1680X1050, so thats not too bad.

I feel so out of date its stupid.

I am assuming the Radeon HD 4870 is a step down from the 8800gt, is this correct?

No. It's quite a step up from the 8800GTX. List your specs here.

I had a single 8800GTX and decided to get a second one (nice and cheap now) for a little extra boost in frame rates.

To be honest though even now a 8800GTX is still a pretty good card!

There isnt THAT much difference between what it can do Versus a newer card like the GTX 280/295.

These newer cards are just faster and have a little more memory so you get more frames per sec.

Nvidia only brought these cards out to keep up in the fight agains AMD/ATi.

Im sort of waiting for a propper new chip to come out from Nvidia.

The newer 295 chip is newer in that its smaller/cooler, but thats all I think.

All the cards Ive mentioned are DX10 cards and support the same technologies. (i think)

Newer cards will support DX11 and so on.

My new computer (when it arrives) will be:

Intel Core 2 Quad Core Q9550 2.83GHz Processor
Arctic Cooling Freezer 7 Pro CPU Cooler
Asus P5Q P45 Motherboard
8GB PC2-6400 Memory
Radeon HD 4870 1024MB
750GB 7200RPM Hard Disk
Onboard Gigabit Networking
Creative Sound Blaster X-Fi Xtreme Audio
Microsoft Windows Vista Home Premium 64-Bit OEM
Samsung SM-2443BW 24" Widescreen TFT Monitor

*cry* My PC is much more humble... but hopefully it'll manage highish detail at 1440x900. I haven't really played a Total War game since the demo for the original game way back... This one looks incredible though! :thumbsup:

I fully agree with you AML. I've had my 8800GTX sli set up for a couple of years now and it still breezes through most games at 1900x1200. I certainly won't be upgrading my graphics until it's really going to be worth the money.

My new computer (when it arrives) will be:

Intel Core 2 Quad Core Q9550 2.83GHz Processor
Arctic Cooling Freezer 7 Pro CPU Cooler
Asus P5Q P45 Motherboard
8GB PC2-6400 Memory
Radeon HD 4870 1024MB
750GB 7200RPM Hard Disk
Onboard Gigabit Networking
Creative Sound Blaster X-Fi Xtreme Audio
Microsoft Windows Vista Home Premium 64-Bit OEM
Samsung SM-2443BW 24" Widescreen TFT Monitor

You should have no probs with Empire: TW on that system. Creative assembly are very accomplished coders, and will make sure it runs on systems a lot weaker than yours.

AML,

I actually have come round to your way of thinking and I think I will add a second 8800GTS to my system and wait for the Nvidia revolution rather than the evolution.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom