Empire: Total War

slackbladder

A new bug for me. Yayyy!
Just made a fleet of First Rate and Heavy First Rate ships - serious firepower. But now, when I click them on the game crashes to desktop.
Looking on the forums it seems there is an issue with making First Rate ships. Basically don't make any or your game might crash!
As for the campaign slowing down, basically it's to do with trade and ships pirating trade routes. The more trade routes you have (i.e the more trade you get) the slower the game gets. If you are at war then your trade routes will be pirated and you can have 10 or 20 different enemy fleets sitting on them. And because you can see all this it puts a real strain on the hardware. It also effects the AI too. Waiting for the AI turns can take well over a minute, sometimes two. Basically, if possible, don't have any sea trade routes (or just one).
The game is bugged beyond belief. If it's the first time anyone's played the Campaign be prepared for CtD's regularly.

SuperSportBilly

I want 3 copies of this game but I can't stomach paying £135 for the Special Forces editions from Steam.

Can anyone recommend a good place to buy, preferably one that will give a discount for buying 3 copies at once :D

Cheers.
Hi

I have had an eye on this and notice it`s £17.99 at shopto this week.

I see pretty mixed opinions of it here though.

Cheers

slackbladder

Not sure what good the patch has done as I am still suffering from a few of the same old CtD's. But it also looks like some people have had all their saves deleted which has obviously made people very unhappy. I got to say I have never read so many angry and accusative posts in a forum then I have there. It's vitriolic!

Miyazaki

Novice Member
I deleted my catalyst driver set and just have the display driver that vista asks me to install.

Seems to work much better now.

caz2005

I have a laptop with Core 2 Duo 2.4Ghz, 6Gb Ram, x2 GF8800GTX sli, Vista 64 bit.

Do you think I'll be able to run this game with some decent settings?

Cheers

:thumbsup:

slackbladder

Well, your spec is pretty similar to mine. Only my CPU is a 2.9ghz dual core. Unfortunately Empire doesn't support Sli as far as I know but you should be able to run the game with most settings at medium, though big battles with 30+ units can slow things down (of course reducing army size to small compensates).
Of course you have to be connected to the internet to activate the game via Steam. Careful when you do as Steam may try and download the game, all 15GB's.
The recent patch has helped. AI turns are much faster now and trade doesn't bog the game down so much. There are still many issues though. Ships can be unresponsive when you click them on. I get odd texture problems on some battle maps (the ground texture is a hatched green colour). I have the 'insufficient video memory' bug, more now than before and the occasional CtD for no obvious reason (usually on AI turns). It's a little better but more patches and game fixing is needed nd no doubt are on their way.

caz2005

I'm very surprised the game doesn't support SLI. :confused: Will they patch this or is it something the game has been built around?

cheers

Goooner

Distinguished Member
New patch out now on Steam.

No idea what it does though :)

D

davo_walker

Will i be able to play Empires total war, full graphics, i have an Intel Quad Core 2.83 Q9550, a SAPPHIRE HD 4890 1GB GDDR5 PCI-E OC 4gb of RAM Nvidia GeForce 7150 motherboard, 500gb Hard Drive 7200rpm, i have a HD Screen, 28" 1080p, 650 Watt supply. Cheers.

robfosters

Will i be able to play Empires total war, full graphics, i have an Intel Quad Core 2.83 Q9550, a SAPPHIRE HD 4890 1GB GDDR5 PCI-E OC 4gb of RAM Nvidia GeForce 7150 motherboard, 500gb Hard Drive 7200rpm, i have a HD Screen, 28" 1080p, 650 Watt supply. Cheers.
Yes, with the greatest of ease.

slackbladder

However, as your graphics card has 1GB of memory you may encounter 'out of video memory' errors as I have with my 1GB card.
Total War Forums

slackbladder

It's somewhat complicated but it is explained here
I certainly have had this problem with a 1GB 9600GT but I'm also using 64 bit Vista.
It may or may not happen as it depends on each computer. But supposedly it is being patched at some point (along with quite a few other patches as the game is somewhat buggy).

D

davo_walker

It's somewhat complicated but it is explained here
I certainly have had this problem with a 1GB 9600GT but I'm also using 64 bit Vista.
It may or may not happen as it depends on each computer. But supposedly it is being patched at some point (along with quite a few other patches as the game is somewhat buggy).
I have Xp Pro

Mattyxboxfan

Hi all,

I really like the look of this game but it sounds like it has more than its fair share of bugs.

Before I shell out to purchase, please can you let me know if the patches have now made it at least playable?

Cheers
Matty

z5461313

Its playable online if you like playing against other people

Has some of best graphics you will see

Can't comment on the single player campaign as like online too much

z5461313

Don't know if the mac can play it without windows?

Is very good game online

Just downloaded a mod that has more smoke and flutes play when marching into battle

jelli

Standard Member
Wasn't too impressed today when I got round to playing it again, a large patch had been released a couple of weeks back and when I came to play I found that instead of getting around 50k+ a turn in profiit I was now around 35k in the red and my nation would be going bankrupt. Evidently they ahve made a fair few changes to the way upkeep works and tax revenue is collected. Needless to say I wasn't on it for long, wonder when the other multiplayer components are being added?

Precurzor

Found it very difficult to get a game goin tbh, a problem ive never had with a total war game b4. Tried about 5-6 times now and end up losin interest after a few hours. Any tips? :confused:

jelli

Standard Member
Do you keep starting with the same faction? Might be wise to try different factions as some have varying starting conditions.

Precurzor

Tried a different faction each time but struggle to get any sort of game goin. Ive tried attackin straight away and buildin up forces patiently but it all falls apart rather quickly. :(

I think i'll try again 2nite, any recommendations of a relatively easy startin faction that i might find easier to get a campaign goin with?

slackbladder

Currently can't play Empire because Steam is playing up. There's an update window that pops up, hangs around for a while on 0% then promptly says "Cannot connect to Steam, please try again later". Looked on Steams FAQ's and Help page and everything seems fine; no connection problems at my end, no firewall settings getting in the way. Steam simply doesn't work.
But what really makes me furious is that I cannot play ANY of my games that I have on Steam; Empire, Dawn of War II, Fear 2. I really, really do not like Steam at all.
As for the Empire patch, yes I had noticed how hard is it to make money. It's harder to start a Campaign now and I can see how that really will put people off.

slackbladder

It looks like no one else is playing Empire here anymore. No surprise as it's a crock. Got the patch yesterday and got the elite units dlc and now the game crashes on start up. This game has been the worst experience I've had with any game in my entire life. An absolute shocking launch and support and a complete waste of time and money. Utter garbage. Same goes for Steam.
:thumbsdow:mad:

Edit: Got it working by taking out the patch and re-patching. But the games is still full of bugs. There is still no proper support for Nvidia cards as I'm still having the same graphical glitches and the occasional freeze. If there's an award for the most badly developed PC game of the year Empire wins it easily.

Last edited:

Sonic67

Banned
Has this game been sorted yet?

The latest video from AVForums

LG SN11RG Dolby Atmos Soundbar, plus, XBOOM Go PN7 & PL7 Wireless Speaker Reviews

Latest News

Lypertek renames TEVI wireless earphones to PurePlay Z3
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
What's new on Disney+ UK for December 2020
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
Bang & Olufsen adds 48-inch OLED to Beovision TV range
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
AVForums Podcast: 18th November 2020
  • By Phil Hinton