Empire: Total War

Goooner

Distinguished Member
Also meant to mention the loading times are much, much better than the demo :)

Harry84

Novice Member
So what system spec do you guys think is required to run this game at 1920 x 1200 and everything set to ultra?

slackbladder

Seeing as the Anti-Steam thread is dead can I ask here for some help?
My bro has his computer in his bedroom and we share the same modem/router. He's tried to get Total War to run but every time it says "Game is unavailable -please try again later". Just to add, this is a disc install, not from Steam.
There is absolutely no clue as to why this is happening as Steam is very unhelpful when a problem happens. The Steam client has been updated with a supposed fix link but it doesn't help. What could be the problem? I tried using my account and the same thing happens. I mean, what the hell does "please try again later" mean? He's just spent £30 on a game he's installed on his computer and he can't play it. You can see why people hate Steam.
Oh and I can't ask this question on the Steam forums because I'm waiting for validation 4 hours after joining.:mad:
(Rant over)
Anyway, any help would be greatly appreciated.

CRZombie

Novice Member
If anyone wants a cheap copy of the game, my friends copy wont work on his pc. So if anyone wants a copy, I can put it in classifieds, I just didn't see many pc games in there and didn't want to waste time :smashin:

McPhee

For anyone finding the Grand Campaign too daunting at first, try playing as the Maratha Confederacy. It eases you in to the game nicely, you only have to worry about India, you start with two provinces and there's only 5 factions (including Maratha) on the map. Money comes pretty easily too, there's some rich provinces down there :)

I think I am gonna wait a while before I purchase this, not got a lot of spare time and I want to wait for a few patches, the loads times were horrendous on the demo. It looks like an amazing game, but being able to make a cup of tea and drink it by the time the battle has loaded in, puts me off a bit :p
You should see how long it takes after you click "End Turn"! A good 5 minutes+ for me some times! Think i need a faster processor though really (1.9GHz Dual Core).

If anyone wants a cheap copy of the game, my friends copy wont work on his pc. So if anyone wants a copy, I can put it in classifieds, I just didn't see many pc games in there and didn't want to waste time :smashin:
It's a Steam game, so AFAIK he's stuck with it now that it's registered to his Steam account.

Miyazaki

Novice Member
So what system spec do you guys think is required to run this game at 1920 x 1200 and everything set to ultra?
I'm playing at that level and have the following spec:

4 gb ram
e6600 2.4ghz @ 3.0ghz
Ati Radeon 2900XT

Runs perfect with AA turned off which you don't need at 1900x1200 anyways.

Miyazaki

Novice Member
Anyone else having problems with the in game events like death of a nation and a rake or gentleman duelling?

Mine stutter and fly all over the place.

At the end of episode 3 on the road to independence campaign it also hangs and can crash.

Goooner

Distinguished Member
I finally see why people have a problem with Steam :mad:

So, I think I'll just have a quick go on Empire before I go to bed, load up Steam, launch the game, or should I say try to launch the game and get the message that the Steam servers are too busy to handle my request :mad:

If I wanted to play multi-player, I could maybe understand it, but I don't I want to play single player, play a game that I've paid for and got the discs sat in front of me, but I can't play because the Steam servers are too busy, isn't that just great?

Hadn't had a problem in my limited experience with Steam before now, and it's been nice not having to worry about finding the disc every time I want to play a game, but this is ridiculous :nono:

Rasuphas

Novice Member
I finally see why people have a problem with Steam :mad:

So, I think I'll just have a quick go on Empire before I go to bed, load up Steam, launch the game, or should I say try to launch the game and get the message that the Steam servers are too busy to handle my request :mad:

If I wanted to play multi-player, I could maybe understand it, but I don't I want to play single player, play a game that I've paid for and got the discs sat in front of me, but I can't play because the Steam servers are too busy, isn't that just great?

Hadn't had a problem in my limited experience with Steam before now, and it's been nice not having to worry about finding the disc every time I want to play a game, but this is ridiculous :nono:

A patch was released for Empire last night. You may have been unlucky and found a time where the game was stuck in limbo as far as Steam was concerned.

Goooner

Distinguished Member
A patch was released for Empire last night. You may have been unlucky and found a time where the game was stuck in limbo as far as Steam was concerned.
Yes, that would appear to have been the case.

I don't have a problem activating a game via Steam, as a one off, when I first install, but I'd like to be able to play it completely without Steam after the initial installation if I choose to.

Not to mention the fact, that I'd rather decide for myself, if I want to patch a game or not, not have it forced upon me. I'll often download a patch for a game and yet wait a few days for user feedback as to whether it actually fixes more than it breaks.

Miyazaki

Novice Member
The "patch" has made my game worse. The intro movie and sega logo flash in the kind of fun way that gives people epilepsy! :rolleyes:

Miyazaki

Novice Member
Yes, that would appear to have been the case.

I don't have a problem activating a game via Steam, as a one off, when I first install, but I'd like to be able to play it completely without Steam after the initial installation if I choose to.

Not to mention the fact, that I'd rather decide for myself, if I want to patch a game or not, not have it forced upon me. I'll often download a patch for a game and yet wait a few days for user feedback as to whether it actually fixes more than it breaks.
You can turn off patching if you go into options. But you are right, steam is a pile of *****.

Smurfin

Distinguished Member
Having a nightmare with this currently. I'm playing the grand campaign as England, I've just besieged the final Huron city to wipe out the nation ( :devil: )...but whatever I do, whether I automatically resolve the siege of their city, or physically fight, the game crashes when it's finished, just after the victory screen :(

Steam really is a pile of poo too.

Miyazaki

Novice Member
How do you turn it off? I couldn't see an option anywhere.
Right i'll just load up steam.... :rolleyes:

1. Go to my games
2. Right click on Empire Total War and click properties
3. Go to updates tab
4. Select "do not update this game" from the drop down box.

Miyazaki

Novice Member
Having a nightmare with this currently. I'm playing the grand campaign as England, I've just besieged the final Huron city to wipe out the nation ( :devil: )...but whatever I do, whether I automatically resolve the siege of their city, or physically fight, the game crashes when it's finished, just after the victory screen :(

Steam really is a pile of poo too.
Have you got the latest drivers for your graphics card?

That solved more issues than the patch for me.

fab game! really enjoying it a lot more than others in the series and it looks absolutely gorgeous maxed out!

There seems to be an offline mode for people who dont like steam, although you have to go online to do it. Heres what they say on the main website...

Using Offline Mode
Please follow the instructions below to configure Offline Mode on your machine:

Start Steam online - make sure the Remember my password box on the login window is checked
Verify that all game files are completely updated - you can see the update status for a game under the My Games tab (when the game shows as 100% - Ready it is ready to be played in Offline Mode)
Launch the game you would like to play offline to verify that there are no further updates to download - shut down the game and return to Steam once you have confirmed that the game can be played
Go to Settings to ensure the Do not store account information on this computer option is not selected
From the main Steam window, go to File and select Go Offline
Click OK to restart Steam in Offline Mode
Ill give it a bash tongiht as ive a long train journey coming up and would like to play this on the way if poss.

Alan_Breck

Novice Member
Well I downloaded the demo from Steam and it looks really great.
I cant tell just how good the computer AI is from the one battle and with all the probs people seem to have I think I'll sit on my hands until its fully patched.

Alan_Breck

Novice Member
Quick question for anyone with the full game. You can capture enemy ships in the sea battles but can you capture the enemy's cannon in land battles?

That would be so cool.

Goooner

Distinguished Member
I don't think you can, I tried it once, but when I'd seen off the enemy guys and they'd left their artillery undefended, I tried to move some of my guys over to it, but didn't get the hand icon, like you do with your own people if you try to send them back to re-man your cannon. Not sure which troops I was using though, so it may make a difference if you send your artillery guys to capture an opponents artillery, rather than just general troops, which would make sense I suppose.

slackbladder

I must say that Empire is probably the most unfinished, bug ridden PC game I've ever played. Why?
I just neared the end of my Grand Campaign (long), just 12 turns left and the game crashes to desktop everytime Sweden comes up on the AI turns. Nothing I can do about it. Game over. Extraordinarily frustrating and annoying.
Clearly Empire Total War is an ambitious game. But it seems to me that Creative Assembly's ambition has out done their ability. There are many, many bugs and flaws in the game. Yet nearly all are on the Campaign side. The battles are generally fine. It's the rest.
Another bug I had was that for some reason I could'nt buy a region from another country. They would'nt even show up. Enemy nations never use ships to transport armies. Diplomacy is worthless unless you want to go to war or make peace. Generally Diplomacy makes so little sense that it's baffling.
Yet, even throughout all this I have enjoyed it. The battles can be great fun. But truthfully the game is incomplete and bugged to hell. Hopefully the next, proper patch will put (most) things right.

McGraw

Novice Member
I want 3 copies of this game but I can't stomach paying £135 for the Special Forces editions from Steam.

Can anyone recommend a good place to buy, preferably one that will give a discount for buying 3 copies at once :D

Cheers.

AML

Finaly got round to playing this.

Its a bit weird, the battles run fine for me but the main campaign map seems to chug quite a bit!

I think theres just too much going on at once (due to the size of the map) to have it at my resolution!

Ill have to lower the settings quite a bit I think.

Other than that, the sea battles are impressive. A lot of detail. Love the sinking ships with people in the water and debris everywhere!

Overall the game seems different from the last one and I cant seem to just jump into it like I thought I would.

Gonna have to go back and do the tutorials :rolleyes:

z5461313

Being playing multi-player quick match a bit now and I think its the most fun you can have

Quick match deals all players a random army with a selection of balanced units.

Then its up to you to use your army to the best of your ability

Had such a close game last night I was still going over it in the morning

So you can cavalry charge, move your horse artillery into tactical positions, try and split your opponents army and generally use any war game strategy you like

Watching the muskets go off when your camera angle is on the ground is awesome. The graphics are brilliant

So if your having problems with the campaign, try the quick match multiplayer

Think they are trying to fix game though with patches

The latest video from AVForums

Podcast: Best Hi-Fi products of 2020, Plus Best of the Month for TV Shows & Movies

Latest News

Elipson adds Connect 250 streaming amp to Connected range
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
Cyrus Audio announces XR series Hi-Fi products
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
Sonus faber announces Maxima Amator speaker
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
TCL announces new soundbars for UK TV consumers
  • By Andy Bassett