1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Empire Strikes Back THX logo at beginning?

Discussion in 'Movie Forum' started by blue_harvester, May 12, 2005.

1. blue_harvester

blue_harvester
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I was watching The Empire Strikes Back on DVD last night and noticed that at the very beginning before the movie starts the THX logo that comes on (the one with the exploding glass ball and the thunder) doesn't appear to sound that good compared to the other SW discs including TPM and AOTC. There just seems to be no bass. Is this a fault on my disc or does this happen to everyone?

2. JBL 4645

JBL 4645
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    :smashin: :devil: No it hits me with rumble and slams and kicks, in the chest on all there introductions. :thumbsup: at 110dbc WOW! :smashin:

For my home cinema I use the Kenwood KRF-XS9050D THX select and Marantz amplifiers EQ’s active crossovers, and JBL control 5 for the 3x screen front the surrounds and the for the centre back surround JBL HT-1F,…

For the sub bass and the LFE track JBL 4645 THX approved cinema professional, with 600 watts program :smashin: and the ability to play at 120dbc, I keep her at the 110dbc for nearly all the 550 plus DVD’s and laserdiscs…. :smashin:

So have you checked to see if there is there is a problem with your home cinema set-up that would be the first thing I would be doing… :thumbsup:

My home cinema is just a little bit more fan than most of my friend’s home cinemas, so check it out mind you the dynamics on that introduction are huge.

I can talk about this a lot more, but I’ll wait for your response first.

http://www.jmgkorea.com/image/cinemasolution/4645c.gif

But hay…

….It’s only a movie…

Alfred Hitchcock.

3. blue_harvester

blue_harvester
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I don't have a subwoofer in my setup so the bass is handled by the LF on the floorstanders. It's a bit strange though that I get great bass on the other discs apart from ESB!? I've only really noticed since I changed my DVD player from a Wharefdale 750s to the Limit 900SE, so could it be something to do with the DVD player? Again I would ask the question why does it just happen on ESB and not the other discs?

4. MikeFish

MikeFish

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I don't have a sub either, all LFE go to my floorstanders too.
    From memory though, ESB had very good bass.

5. blue_harvester

blue_harvester
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Just tested all 5 Star Wars discs and ESB seems to be the only one with lack of bass in the THX intro, the rest of the movie has good quality bass though so that's not so bad. I'm just puzzled as to why the THX intro lacks some 'punch'?!