Empire say 'If light bleed bothers u buy a CRT TV'

I

iantib

I called empire as in my opinion my tv has light bleed. I was eventually passed to technical support & the man said its not a fault at all, it happens with all lcd tv's. he said if it bothers me I should buy a CRT TV.

He said I should just live with it as its not a fault.

Will one of you experts have a look & see if in your opinion its a fault?

TankTopLover

I think all lcd sets have very slight bleed but imo the bleed on your display is unacceptable and should be returned.Do not swallow any crap from empire,just insist that it is too distracting and say your friend has an lcd with no bleed at all.

My set has very slight bleed but i have to have a pitch black screen to even notice it so it really is not a problem,nut yours looks like a fault,the panel is slightly off-set so it is causing the bleed.Notice how the other corners are ok? Phone them back and be confident and demand a replacement or a refund.What brand of tv is it btw mate?

Damian1978

That's pretty bad! My Relisys has developed backlight bleed over the time I've had it but isn't too bad and the two Goodmans I've tried recently have been perfect for backlights (exept buzzing etc...long story).

Sounds like rubbish to me...but have heard Sony's are known for it!

I

iantib

Its a sony KDL 40W2000

Just before I left work I phoned EMPIRE again & was more confident, but again met the same sort of a response. This time (& by now I was made to feel like a winger), they gave me the number of sony. They said I had to phone them and get a reference number and only then would they consider replacing my TV, but he said that the replacement would probably be exactly the same. He more or less told me they would only send 1 replacement and I would have to settle for that whether it be better or worse than my first one AND only after I have spoken to SONY to get them to admit its faulty :confused: Merry Christmas to me :mad:

Damian1978

How old is it?

How was it paid for?

I can't see Sony saying "yes Sir, all our backlights are inconsistent!"

GoodKingAlf

Standard Member
By law if it is faulty then you are entitled to a full refund.

It is at their discretion whether or not they replace it.

It is their policy that they only give you one replacement but if that arrived and you still thought it was faulty then you can ask for your money back.

They are trying it on, don't back down, don't let them win.

Also, send them a letter. The power of the hard copy vastly, vastly, vastly outweighs that of the lodging a complaint vertbally. If you send them a letter they have to action it. I used ot work in a call centre and when a letter was sent in it was like all hands to the pumps... it got fixed and it got fixed quickly.

Good luck.

neilmcl

Its 1 day old. I paid £1660 for it.
Then return it under the distance selling regs, although you may have to pay for the shipping costs, but if you want to get Sony out to inspect it then be aware that you should be asking for a full refund, don't accept any kind of repair at this stage.

jpb82

Novice Member
Its a sony KDL 40W2000

Just before I left work I phoned EMPIRE again & was more confident, but again met the same sort of a response. This time (& by now I was made to feel like a winger), they gave me the number of sony. They said I had to phone them and get a reference number and only then would they consider replacing my TV, but he said that the replacement would probably be exactly the same. He more or less told me they would only send 1 replacement and I would have to settle for that whether it be better or worse than my first one AND only after I have spoken to SONY to get them to admit its faulty :confused: Merry Christmas to me :mad:
the problems your having with empire direct is why i want to by my new tv from my local dealer because you may end up spending an extra £300 or so but local stores are usually alot more simpathetic and if you think your tv needs to be replaced because its faultly you can get a replacement very quickly without any fuss.

Damian1978

Another reason why I won't use Empire Direct for getting my Samsung F71 even though they have it in stock and are reasonably priced.

Manunkind

I had a similar problem with my v2000 Sony Bravia, but after 3 weeks of use its pretty much all gone. Very happy with mine now.

Hope you get it sorted soon

sparkymark75

Within the first 6 months, the onus is on the supplier to prove it's NOT faulty. After that, the onus is then on you to prove it IS faulty. Don't let them fob you off.

Phone trading standards.

charlton111

thanks for letting us know about empie direct,was thinking of getting a tv from them,as john lewis is out of stock for the tv i want ,will now stay well clear,if the tvs just a day old i think you can return it i would try and get my money back and not have anything to with the company,by the way any one know what john lewis are like if you have a problem with one of there tvs

Mr-Bananas

I had a similar problem with my v2000 Sony Bravia, but after 3 weeks of use its pretty much all gone. Very happy with mine now.

Hope you get it sorted soon

Are you saying that your light bleed dissapeared after 3 weeks ?. I did not think it changed no matter how long an LCD was used for.

To be fair to Empire, its true that pretty much ALL LCD's have un even backlights. Minor bleed is not really a fault, its just an LCD thing. If you want to avoid this issue then dont one.

Having said that some of these W2000's are the worst I have ever seen, totally unacceptable. Its a shame because apart from this problem its one of the best TV's om Earth.

Aminator

Novice Member
tbh, imho, that is an absoloute joke! ok so LCDs are prone to this to a certain degree, but that is completley unnacceptable, especially under 1 day old. As said before on here you are covered by the distance selling act so you can legally send it back if you are not happy with your purchase.

What I said to them when I called was look, ive got pictures which I can email you right now so you can see for your self, no sir that wont be necessary I was told and they just swapped mine out after having it for about 2 weeks.

I wouldnt accept what you have, especially if you have shelled out £1600 for it:suicide:

Watching films in widescreen I can imagine would be well annoying when the blakc bars have different brightness

J80FAB

Novice Member
I had this problem with a Philips and Currys which is outlined in the Currys bad experience thread. Though the backlight wasn't problematic in the corners like yours but randomly over the whole screen.

Would be interesting to know if that sort of backlighting issue where it appears only in the corners actually disappears after a certain period of time :confused:

Anyway whether it does or does not it's still a poor do that you should have that sort of rubbish on your screen after paying £1660 for a new TV.

Manufacturers should get their act together and stop churning out stuff like this if they are not able to manage making screens to an acceptable quality. I they can't then perhaps we should all go back to buying CRTs !

How local is a local dealer supposed to be :confused: Perhaps a local independent dealer ? I only ask because ED is just a mile or so down the road from me.

I personally don't like them either, but they are an alternative to the likes of Currys & I did recently buy a home cinema system from them as they are local, were the cheapest and I was able to collect it rather than have it delivered.

You have to stand firm, say you previously owned an LCD which it replaces and did not have such a problem. And say it's not running to manufacturer's spec as there are lighter patches on darker scenes.

You have the right to return it under the 7 day distance selling regulation as the product is not satisfactory.

If they do not want to acknowledge this send it in writing to them stating that this is UK law which they are refusing to acknowledge and that you will be bound to seek legal action if they fail to refund or replace.

dan54

Novice Member
If the guy at Empire said "if it bothers you buy a crt" I would of replied "give me my money back and I will".Seriously though I bought a £130 lcd for the bedroom yesterday and although its got some leakage its nowhere near as bad as that-theres too many retailers trying to wriggle out of their responsibilities by trying to fob people off with the old "contact the manufacturer" rubbish or certain amount of dead pixels nonsense.I wouldnt settle for that tv mate fight your corner.It seems to be problem that pops up everyday on here,personally I'd rather buy from a store I can physically walk into and take back face to face if theres a problem.

Mr Cole

thanks for letting us know about empie direct,was thinking of getting a tv from them,as john lewis is out of stock for the tv i want ,will now stay well clear,if the tvs just a day old i think you can return it i would try and get my money back and not have anything to with the company,by the way any one know what john lewis are like if you have a problem with one of there tvs
John Lewis are pretty good with returns. If you change your mind within 28 days you can have a full refund or exchange as long as the goods are perfect condition as new. I think if you have a faulty set that's beyond the 28 day exchange period they get an engineer out to look at it to confirm it's faulty before replacing the set. A just had a 26" Sony from John Lewis online for the bedroom which I returned to my local store & exchanged for a Panasonic as I changed my mind & had no problem at all.

Also, John Lewis include an extended 5 year warranty in with the price.

It's a fault. It's a display problem that you were not made aware of at the time of sale.

Would a CRT screen that had off-colour blobs in these areas be considered faulty? I bet it would. So why shouldn't this be?

CLH

Right, I can state categorically that my 2 year old Sharp 32 GA4E shows no bleed whatsoever and never has.

I

iantib

I've only had my set 1 day, but was interested to see that Manunkind's problem fixed itself. Should I leave my set a few weeks before sking for a replacement. can light bleed improve?

p.s. I have tried connecting the tv up to my laptop via a VGA cable. Is it normal for the icons & test to flicker while in PC mode? Does one need to configure it for pc use or should it work with the factory settings?

astonbilla

I've only had my set 1 day, but was interested to see that Manunkind's problem fixed itself. Should I leave my set a few weeks before sking for a replacement. can light bleed improve?

p.s. I have tried connecting the tv up to my laptop via a VGA cable. Is it normal for the icons & test to flicker while in PC mode? Does one need to configure it for pc use or should it work with the factory settings?
Mate, odds are it will not improve - its just the nature of the beast.

If you can't live with it - get rid, sooner rather than later.

The 7 day distance selling law is a God send. Also if Empire still push the point, and you paid by Visa, then get Visa on to them. Watch how quickly they will change their tune.

The latest video from AVForums

Podcast: CES 2021 Special - Sony, LG, Panasonic, Samsung, TCL and Hisense TV news and more...

Latest News

iFi Audio launches iDSD Diablo DAC/Headphone amp
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
Samsung launches Galaxy Buds Pro
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
Samsung launches Galaxy S21, S21+ and S21 Ultra smart phones
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
Mola Mola debuts Kula integrated amplifier
  • By Andy Bassett