"Empire" readers on drugs - official

Status
Not open for further replies.

the_pauley

Ex Member
Reaction score
Gave up on this magazine a long time ago - when the fanboy mentality overtook it, round about the time they gave "Independence Day" a 5 star review.

Anyway, took a look at the latest issue which contains a "Top 100 Movies" poll voted for by the readers, so large pinch of salt required.

Needless to say there are movies that shouldn't get anywhere near a Top 500 let alone Top 100 ("Pirates of the Carribean" - 19th greatest movie of all time, anyone?).

And have a guess what's number one?

Ah well - at least it'll **** off the "Star Wars" fans! :)

Well I pretty much agree with the list, maybe not the order mind you, but it is infinately better than the AFI list and there are some great films in there.

I don't buy any magazines, gave up after i realised magazines such as What HiFi give great reviews to companies which advertise in their magazine.

Can't believe i bought a RELQ201E subwoofer based on a What HiFi review and the damn thing can't cope with every film out there for the money i paid for it i could have almost imported an SVS Subwoofer, i also started to disagree with the ratings some magazines gave for picture and sound quality and believe the reviewers are given backhanders for positive reviews.

...but it is infinately better than the AFI list and there are some great films in there...

:rolleyes: Only on the internet! :rolleyes:

I bought the magazine. A few questionable entires include:

-Braveheart at 98 - well, I'm possibly alone in saying it's one of the most infuriatingly dull and innacurate 'Historical' epics ever made, but I'm sure other members with have other hateful comments to launch toward it.

-Spiderman at 92 - need I say more?

-Alien at 75 - I thought this should've been placed higher.

-Die Hard at 59 - WTF!? ITS BLOODY AWFUL!

-Moulin Rouge at 37 - I'm not really in a position to comment on this movie, as I absolutely refuse to waste any seconds of my life watching it. And when will people realise that Nicole Kidman is a really BAD (and unnattractive) actress?!?!?

-Gladiator at 28 - well, it looked nice, the plot was easy to follow, the action scenes were great and it's a descent test of your home cinema system. But judged by the highest standards is it really better than 'Vertigo' and 'One Flew Over The Cuckoo's Nest'??? Both of which are ranked below it...

-Citizen Kane at 22 - another one which should've been ranked much higher, especially considering the next film I'm about to mention was ranked at 19...

-Pirates Of The Caribbean at 19 - [no comment]

-The Usual Suspects at 19 - just, no! It was a fun two hours! But once you've watched it once :rolleyes:

-Grease at 16 - quite a ridiculous placement for such a comparatively dull film. In my mind, Singing In The Rain was far grander and more respectable an achievement than this, whilst belonging to a similar genre, yet still ranked about 50 places lower.

-Jurrassic Park at 11 - I'd place this (probably) in my top 5.

-Fight Club at 9 - nothing will give me greater satisfaction than when the day arrives that Brad Pitt is no longer reveared by women as "fit".

-The Shawshank Redemption at 5 - I HATE this movie, even more than Nicole Kidman...

I'll stop now, as people can probably guess what's in the top four.

I think The_Pauley got it right first time, Empire Readers are on drugs, and have either lost the ability to interpet the best cinema, or can no longer count and thus are unable to rank films anymore...

It depends on your type of films, if I was to class the greatest films of all times depending on how often I like watching them, then my top list would comprise of Friday the 13th series, John Carpenter films, Manga and Arnie films.

I like good cinema, but I like watching dross over and over, b-movies are great!

Originally posted by Sinzer
I like good cinema, but I like watching dross over and over, b-movies are great!

could not agree more!

(thought it was just me:rolleyes: )

Originally posted by Dimmy
I bought the magazine. A few questionable entires include:

-Die Hard at 59 - WTF!? ITS BLOODY AWFUL!

-Moulin Rouge at 37 - I'm not really in a position to comment on this movie, as I absolutely refuse to waste any seconds of my life watching it. And when will people realise that Nicole Kidman is a really BAD (and unnattractive) actress?!?!?

-Fight Club at 9 - nothing will give me greater satisfaction than when the day arrives that Brad Pitt is no longer reveared by women as "fit".

-The Shawshank Redemption at 5 - I HATE this movie, even more than Nicole Kidman...

Shame you don't like these films as they are 4 of the best in their respective genres, not that there is a genre for fight club :)

:boring:

:clap:

Now which is worse, Empires top 100 or Dimmys top 100....... to close to call... :rolleyes:

The :boring: wasn't for your post Crispy, it was for one that was there before you that now has vanished.

Originally posted by the_pauley
The :boring: wasn't for your post Crispy, it was for one that was there before you that now has vanished.

Sorry, jetlagged & defensive, my bad.

its nice to see the inclusion of Back to the Future BTW

I quite like Empire. Some of its reviews are a tad dodgy. Whenever they give something like Pearl harbour 5* and receive a pasting. Their comment is always the same the office was divided on this film. H'mmmmmm

The actual movie reviews are only a small part of the mag

With regards the poll how arogant of anyone to say it is wrong it simply represents peoples opinions. If someones favourite film is LOTR it is their favourite film they can not be wrong. You may have a different opinion but it doesn't mean everyone who thinks differently is wrong.

I don't think the list really represents the 'best' films anyway, it is more like the most popular films. Look at the poll here about the best film oscar, does that mean the majority of people here are wrong? It is an opinion.

Dimmy, just because you do not agree with someones views doesn't mean they are on drugs. Whilst I do not agree with many of your opinions I suspect I may agree on a few, you never know.

Does your argument against The Usual Suspects mean that no film with a twist can be considered good?

Shawshank
Usual Suspects
Moulin Rouge

would all be in my top 10

I also think Braveheart, Gladiator and Fight club ere excellent films

You do need to say more about Spiderman, should it be higher or not in the top 100. My personal opinion is the latter.

Whilst I can understand that Citizen Kane has had a huge influence on cinema and was ground breaking at the time, i think it is an extremely dull film.

Jurasic park, nice dinosaurs that is about it.

The problem with these lists is they are very subjective and only certain types of people a) read the magazine and b) submit their movies.
The results are therefore obviously going to be skewed.

I suspect that every single member of this forum would have a different top 100 and it would be influenced by things such as age, demographics and personality.

What's particularly disappointing however is that Debbie Does Dallas didn't even merit a mention...;):D

I voted in this poll, for the hell of it, I can't remember exactly what I put in my top 10. I know Jurrasic Park, Godfather Part II, City Of God, Ghosbusters, Jackie Brown, This Is Spinal Tap were all in there.

I may or may not have included The Evil Dead, The Matrix, Star Wars. I don't remember :laugh:. I think I put 'The Ice Storm' in there somewhere...

Originally posted by Brogan
Ghostbusters?!
GHOSTBUSTERS?!?!

Yes Ghostbusters!, f~~~ing brilliant!

So - you were the other one who voted for it - that's how it got in the 100!

rather watch ghostbusters than gone with the wind

Ghostbusters is awesome!

I like Spiderman too, maybe not a Top 100 but I quite enjoy watching it.

Some people don't spend their life watching movies, most the people who voted maybe go to the cinema once a month, they most probably don't buy endless amounts of DVDs, they most probably don't spend hours on the internet looking for obscure horror or HK action flicks or anime movies or French relationship dramas.

If all they have seen is 5 films in the last year, no doubt one of their votes will go towards the blockbusters! Is it right? Who knows..... Are they on drugs? Most likely no, cos the people on drugs are the ones who sit around getting high brow and do nothing but watch movies :p

Originally posted by Sinzer
Are they on drugs? Most likely no, cos the people on drugs are the ones who sit around getting high brow and do nothing but watch movies :p

this man is a prophet... :zonked:

Originally posted by Dimmy
I voted in this poll, for the hell of it, I can't remember exactly what I put in my top 10. I know Jurrasic Park, Godfather Part II, City Of God, Ghosbusters, Jackie Brown, This Is Spinal Tap were all in there.

I may or may not have included The Evil Dead, The Matrix, Star Wars. I don't remember :laugh:. I think I put 'The Ice Storm' in there somewhere...

Godfather II and City of God would probably make my top 10 too

Jurrasic Park would not. Jurrasic Poke maybe ;)

blockbusters always do better in these polls simply because more people see them. They usually appear in both best and worst films of the year

I'd have at least 5 Kurosawa films in the top ten!
:smashin:

Status
Not open for further replies.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom