1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Empire Direct

Discussion in 'TVs' started by mansell, Jan 16, 2003.

1. mansell

mansell

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +39
    Can anybody help , this is a bit of a shot in the dark but I’m waiting for a replacement TV from ED and a I’ve had a message left by the courier M1 Logistics but I can’t make out their number

Does anybody have it , I think it maybe 01246 827717

Can anyone help as Directory enquires could not

2. shack

shack
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Mansell,

The number you have is correct, as I have just had to return a TV via them. They are hard to get hold of (just like Empire!) but be patient and someone will eventually answer the phone, I found it better to phone early on a week day morning.

Hope this helps.

3. Bam

Bam

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi Mansell & Shack,

Just a question for you both

In view of the fact you have had some sort of problem with your online purchases, getting replacements etc.. Would this affect your decision to buy online in the future? ie. would you consider paying more money from a local retailer?

I am planning to purchase in the near future and have serious reservations about buying online so would appreciate your feedback.

Bam

4. JonathanKnight

JonathanKnight
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I purchased a number of large electrical items on line last summer when we got our new house. Things like fridge, dishwasher, hob, etc. The prices were a lot cheaper than anywhere else and we saved quiet a lot of money as we were buying a lot of stuff. The on line retailers mainly seemed to just be middle men. Our dishwasher needed a new door as the original was scratched. We phoned the company we bought it from and they just passed us on to Bosch directly. Bosch were good though and sorted it very quickly. Basically once the stuff is signed for its as if the company you bought the stuff from have nothing more to do with you. So I suppose its best to make sure the kit you are buying comes from a manufacturer with a good after sales service.

5. Stuart Wright

Stuart Wright
    AVForums Founder Staff Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9,663
    I recently bought a Hostess Trolly for my mum from ED and though there was a long wait - which I was aware of - they did phone up to ask whether intended delivery would be convenient and the goods did turn up as expected.

6. shack

shack
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    There was no problem in ordering the TV or taking delivery, just the after sales, when it needed replacing. Having spoken to numerous people in 'customer services' just to get someone to actually do anything to help is a real problem.

7. mansell

mansell

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +39
    update

I managed to contact M1 , they are coming out on Friday to replace my TV , I will insist I test it first !

8. mansell

mansell

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +39

I would have to agree with everything shak has just said
    Their customer service is typical of this country ,Appalling !! . Most of the problem is a lack of communication to the customer

they never phone or even return your e-mails , the courier people are totally inflexable , i.e they will only deliver tues and fri to Bristol and they don't even give you some idea of the time , not even AM or PM .

9. vegnomeat

vegnomeat

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    it took 2 phone calls, 2 letters and a County Court summons to get Empire Direct's notice regarding my faulty TV.

I get a phone call from them stating that they would collect the TV week commencing the 13th Jan, guess what, they didn't collect it, I have now had to apply for judgement.

If anyone at ED is reading this, I am Wayne Ballinger of Worcester. The TV is a Toshiba 42wt29. I am still waiting for the TV to be collected and my refund of £2167.00

Wayne

10. mansell

mansell

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +39
    Vegnomeat

Interesting , how old was your TV ?

11. Sam V

Sam V

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +43
    Hi All

I too am having problems with Empire Direct. I orderd an RGB only Scart cable from them on the 2nd December. The money has been debited out my account but I have recieved no delivery date or order confirmation by email.

Their after sales service seems to consist of a system with absolutely no one to speak to on the phone. All you do is log it in their system via the web. I have done 4 of these now and the only response I have had is what looks like a standard response saying it has been passed on to a representative for investigation. Then NOTHING. I have ranted and raved in my updates that i have posted but no one seems to read them.

Anyone successfully contacted them after sale by phone? Have you still got the number? I know its not a TV or anything but I was looking forward to getting the lead to plug in to my new Sony FS76 (ordered with no problem from ElectricalDiscountUK on the web). Besides they have taken my money so there is principle involved now.

Cheers Guys

Sam

12. mansell

mansell

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +39
    regarding their E-Mail system , isn't it fantastic , you get a automatic responce within seconds , Now that's what i call service !!

try 0870-9016080 for customer services , don't be put of by the long wait (normally 10-15min's) , stick the phone on handsfree and make a cup of tea (that's what their staff are obviously doing , or maybe their counting the interest on your money)

I wouldn't recommend anyone buying from ED in the future !!

13. wayne

wayne
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I purchased the TV in November of last year

Waybe

14. gringottsdirect

gringottsdirect

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +29
    It is a different service protocol for " white " goods ( washers, fridges, freezers, dishwashers etc ), than " brown " goods ( tvs, dvds, audio etc ).
    White goods manufacturers and distributors Bosch, Miele, AEG, Hotpoint etc have their own service and parts network, wherever you buy from they will resolve issues.
    Brown goods manufacturers mostly do not have their own network but instead rely on the supplying retailer to resolve your problems.
    By law the onus is on your retailer to resolve your issues, technically the manufacturer need only refer you back to them.
    Before buying items such as large CRTs mail order it is worthwhile investigating how service will be provided following " swap-out " periods. You may find that local dealers to whom you will be referred will not help but refer you back to your on-line supplier.
    Panasonic and Sony dealers in particular have a clause in their contract specifically excluding any obligation to offer service assistance to customers they did not supply.
    In practice, though your service problem will be resolved ultimately by your retailer, the maker will often try to help, with smaller items ( such as LCD projectors ) they may ask you to return it directly to them.
    With large ( 100kg plus ) CRTs this is more difficult, and can result in frustration.

15. Desert Rain

Desert Rain
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I am also having problems with Empire Direct's after sales service. I think that most of the problem is their woefully inadequate telephone system. It takes between 10 - 30 minutes on hold to speak to someone, so by the time you get through you are already pi**ed off.

Their staff generally seem to want to be helpful, but are obviously snowed under with calls. Maybe this is why they never seem to do much about what I called them about in the first place. They haven't got any time because they are going round in ever decreasing circles until the inevitable happens!

I would think long and hard before ordering from them again.

Peter:(

16. celticprince

celticprince

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Sam V. Try e-mailing this guy: npyne@empiredirect.co.uk He is an after sales manager, and I would hope you get a reply. It worked for me when I had problems. Cheers.

17. Mark Spanner

Mark Spanner

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    Best advice is to check out the supplier on the internet first.

Usually if they are rubbish they'll be loads on forums, search engines etc.
    Obviously you have to take some things with a pinch of salt as rival (dodgy) firms will bad mouth but common sense will show these as false.

18. Sam V

Sam V

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +43
    Thanks Mansel and everyone elsel. I am gonna give them a ring and put the kettle on!!!!!!!

Will let you know what happens

19. Sam V

Sam V

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +43
    Got through on the 0870 9016080 number. Not too bad. Only on hold 10 minutes. (Amazing isn't it now that such a vast majority of places have such bad Customer Services and cue times for phones what we deem as acceptable)

Anyway I ordered it over a month and a half ago and they say thay have not had the QED RGB only Scart lead in for over 3 months. So 'why did they say that it was in stock when I first ordered.?' I say. 'Dont know' they reply. 'Will you get any more in' I say. 'Dont know' they say.

Oh well........So I ask for me dosh back and they say that will be back on my card in 3 or 4 days. Fingers crossed this is the case.

Thay have actually lowered the price since I ordered it so they better credit me the right amount. Why lower the price of something not in stock???? Unless shock horror they are not telling the whole truth!!

Anyway Gotta check out somewhere else to get my lead from now when I get my refund.

Thanks again for all your help and good luck to everyone having problems with these guys.

Sam

20. vegnomeat

vegnomeat

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    My situation as of now.

Empire Direct didn't even respond to my County Court summons for £2167, a week ago I obtained judgement against them in the Northampton County Court.

They still haven't arranged to collect the TV and neither have they refunded the £2167 purchase price.

I have now issued a Warrant against Empire Direct, next week (at a cost of £45) the Bailiffs will be entering Empire Directs premises to remove goods, these will be sold at auction to raise the money owed to me.

I will keep you informed.

Wayne

21. Mark Spanner

Mark Spanner

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    Have you tried contacting Watchdog?
    Get Nikki Campbell to name & shame?

22. vegnomeat

vegnomeat

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Update .....

I have been informed by Leeds County Court that Empire Direct have now settled my full claim including all costs.

From my point of view it seems that a total lack of communication from ED allowed what was basically a small problem with the TV to escalate in to my issuing Court Proceedings.

Only one problem remains in that the TV, DVD and VCR are now at my home awaiting collection by ED, I have again written to them today (recorded delivery) advising them that the goods are ready to be collected.

I bear no malice nor illwill towards ED at all, I am sure that many thousands of purchasers every year are extremely happy with their goods.

Apart from the one niggly problem I was more than happy with the TV.

Wayne Ballinger

23. mansell

mansell

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +39
    I've just been onto the phone to them as my 2nd replacement I received last week has Geometry error's . They will replace it again

Can't fault them in this regards really , like you said it all comes down to communication !!!!

24. kelvin

kelvin

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +45
    Maybe someone should make ED aware of this thread. I would have thought that any self respecting business would take note of some of the comments on here. Who knows - some issues may even be resolved!!

I had my own share of "ED Torture" just before Christmas. The end result was that on Xmas eve I had to go out and purchase form the Sony Centre instead. Needless to say I won't be buying (or rather, attempting to buy!) from them again! :rolleyes:

Kelvin.

25. mansell

mansell

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +39
    I don't blame them for the problem's I've had with these Panasonic TV's ,at the end of the day it's the manufacture's fault .

What I do blame ED for is there lack of communication to the customer .

Any company can sell you something but it's the good ones that solve your problem quickly .

At the moment I think ED are fantastic as they keep agreeing to send out replacement TV's

26. andy_mart

andy_mart

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi Guys

Can I add my tuppence worth? Basically if you went to the extent of issuing court procedures against ED to recover your money, why did you not issue a summons instead for insolvency?

I dont mean this to be malicious but there is what I beleive another way for really troublesome suppliers.

From what I can remember, and I maybe wrong you have the right to do this even before trying to recover your costs or money refund.

There is an upside to this as well, once this hits the court and is approved, the banks all keep careful eye on any insolvency case whereas they do not for CCJs. All the banks will then freeze the company or persons accounts and all possible creditors will be informed of the insolvency. You will be the first on creditors list to get your money.

It is not an ideal position and you will have to wait for your money, but you will get it.

Can you imagine the customer service manager, trying to explain to the CEO why their company can no longer trade as they had not resolved a simple refund matter.

If you read between the lines here you know the type of letter of complaint that will make any company sit up and listen and realise that you will not be messed about with.

Always make purchases with a credit card as you definately have recourse through the credit company as well. There is also ammendments to the sale of goods act for distance selling which help as well.

I hope this helps

27. The_blue

The_blue
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I've just bought a yamaha dd amp from ED and was sent 2!!

One to my addy and one to the billing addy (moved house not changed details etc..)

took 4 calls and a chat to the manager to get a refund from them.

Delivery was very quick and the 2nd set was sent back with the driver.

28. neilybealy

neilybealy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +55
    so they actually billed you for both of them??

29. The_blue

The_blue
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    yep, 310 quid a pop :rolleyes: