1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Empire Direct

Discussion in 'Plasma TVs' started by PlasmaVirgin, Mar 24, 2005.

1. PlasmaVirgin

PlasmaVirgin

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +132
    Hi all. I was just wondering if any of you guys have ever had problems dealing with Empire Direct. I ordered some kit from them a year ago which turned out to be wrong when it arrived so I refused delivery an cancelled the order. A year on though, and their finance company has started taking payments for the cancelled order from my current account. They say that they paid Empire Direct the full amount 1 year ago, and someone at ED should have cancelled the order.

Called ED and after arguing with some foreign bloke, they said that it's not their problem and wouldn;t let me speak to the manager or have his full name. Legal letter time I think! :mad:

2. Mep

Mep

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +468
    do you have any paper work from empire backing up the cancellation?

3. John_N

John_N

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hopefully when you refused delivery the courier should have given you a receipt showing that you didn't receive the parcel.
    Otherwise you could possibly speak to the courier firm and they could verify you didn't receive the item from their records.
    Do you have a copy of the cancellation email / letter you sent?
    You can cancel the direct debit that the finance company has on your a/c. I would recommend you do that, then write to them explaining that you have cancelled the order, never received the item, and telling them to sort the issue out internally with ED.

If they want to pursue you for money, the burden of proof is on them to prove that you received goods that you have not paid for. Without a signed receipt from you saying that you took the goods - and particularly if you have any of the above documentation, that isn't going to happen.

You can also contact your bank and invoke the DD guaranteee - your bank should be able to get the funds back from the finance firm since they have been taken without your permision.

4. Tejstar

Tejstar

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +995
    I had a bad experience at Empire Direct a couple of years back and have refused to use them since. Imo there are companies with much better customer service and prices out there, you just need to know where to look! ;)

5. Brooktop

Brooktop

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +86
    I had a problem with them a couple of years ago: started off with poor delivery and then proceeded into a customer services mess.

I recently organised a Viera for my g/f's father and they made a hash of the order! They seem inable to follow basic instructions. If there had been any other company that had it at the same price, we would have ordered from them. I guess that the price you pay for getting discount goods from the net is the poor customer services. Guess on such low margins, they can only afford to employ monkeys (or am I being harsh on monkeys?) :rolleyes:

6. samjet

samjet
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    have dealt with them only once but fortunately i live only about 1 hour away from them and collected :D

the guys i dealt with were fine but a bit clueless!!

also if you go to collect in bradford don't follow their directions :thumbsdow

got well and truly lost!!!

7. PlasmaVirgin

PlasmaVirgin

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +132
    Problem is that because the order was a year ago, and I thought that this was all dead and buried, I have almost certainly chucked any paperwork I might have had regarding it. Spoke to the finance house who said that I could cancel the direct debit, but that this would then mean me being credit blacklisted as I signed an agreement a year ago when attempting to purchase the goods! Aaaagh!

8. Brooktop

Brooktop

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +86
    Most solicitors will give you a free consultation. Try calling one if you don't know one personally, or try the Citizens Advice Bureau.

9. Supersonic72

Supersonic72
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    For legal advice, my trades union has a service where their designated solicotor
    helps for 30mins witha phone call sort of thing, very useful as a starting point.

Some car insurance policies have this added on too, its not just for motoring
    based incidents....

10. Rahmorak

Rahmorak

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +10
    Sorry to hear about your situation.

We ordered an Hitachi 4200 bback in November, after a few weeks of it being sat with their delivery guys we cancelled. Getting the money refunded was a nightmare and I certainly won't use them again.

Unfortunately that doesn't help you at the moment but hopefully other people will be more wary. Cheapest is definitely not best.

11. DAS

DAS
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I bought a stand from them for my old sony CRT a few years ago. It didn't come when expected, despite having taken a day off. I seem to recall them givig gme some of my money back as compensation. I've not used them since.

12. OkUThinkOfAName

OkUThinkOfAName
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have ordered from Empire Direct a lot over the last few years and have never had any problems.

I bought a Toshiba RDXS32 HD/DVD recorder about 2 years ago and thought it was faulty, they collected it, checked it and returned it all in a week and there was no charge. It was the TV that was at fault.

It seems when something does go wrong with online retailers, it can turn into a nightmare to get sorted.

Good luck.

13. GiZZeRR

GiZZeRR
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I didn't get as far as signing any papers just last month, I failed to hear anything from them and bought from Richer sounds last week. I'm glad, as I saved myself over £600.
    Anyway just yesterday I got a call at work form Empire and the chap said he had a nightmare trying to contact me over the past 2 weeks.....utter rubbish as I have been at work and the phone is always answered. So he wanted to know if I still wanted to go on with the purchase :nono: had great pleasure in telling him I was now sorted. :clap: So never doing any dealings with them, ever.

14. Wolfman310

Wolfman310

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    Don't quote me, but all it would do is put a mark against your name against your credit file, either with Experian, or equifax, depending who they use. Then, if they do, and you sort it out, if you get your credit file from the aforementioned, for £2, and they have put something on that is not correct, then you can request that equifax(i always use them) to request that the company in question take it off. They then contact them and ask if they would remove it, if not, then you go your own course. Usually they comply.

To be blacklisted i thought it had to go to court.

15. PlasmaVirgin

PlasmaVirgin

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +132
    Thanks for everyone's help on this one. After weighing up all the advice I received, I had just finished writing a strongly worded letter to Empire Direct, when they rang me and apologised for the problems I had encountered with the order (over a year ago). Basically, someone finally looked into my problem, and agreed I was right and decided to sort out the refund and apologise profusely.

Apparently, I am due to recieve a refund within 10 days, but I'm not sure I'll be holding my breath...! :D

16. Rahmorak

Rahmorak

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +10
    Glad to hear they have sorted it, keep on their backs though as it took my wife numerous phone calls, and several weeks, to get the refund we had been promised.

17. DOCTOR_d

DOCTOR_d
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Glad you got it sorted, I've also used Empire Direct in the past and got let down on stock they didn't even hold.

If you need to speak to the Manager his name is Imran, the easy way to get hold of him is to ask for the Manchester collection branch number.