1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Empire Direct?

Discussion in 'TVs' started by micflair, Oct 17, 2001.

1. micflair

micflair

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    Hey peeps, ready to buy a Toshiba 40WH08B from Empire.. is this the best place to buy from at the moment? anyone had any probs with em?

Cheers!

Mick

2. Jon Weaver

Jon Weaver

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Born in Bristol but now in Newport, (for my sins)
    Ratings:
    +664
    I have used them many times and can highly recommend their services.

Admittedly, I have just had to get a refund from the over an ongoing issue with a TV.

But in fairness to them, they havn't been to blaim and htey have done more than I could expect anyone to do under the circumstances.

You shouldn't have any problems with them

3. Jobby

Jobby

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I'd second that. Everyone has problems at some time or another, and the good companies are the ones that sort them out.

I've had a problem with a TV which was a manufacturers fault, and a delivery delay, but both were sorted out satisfactorily, so I'm more than happy to keep buying from them because I know they'll give you a decent service even if there is a problem. Other than that I've had no trouble.

4. micflair

micflair

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    Cheers guys!! I think I will be going with them then after your positive response.. hang on, you guys work for em? :) haha

5. Ol

Ol

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Probably too late by now but I had loads of problems with Empire Direct and their couriers. They couldn't have done less to sort the problem out - I had to ring everyday for 12 days to get the problem sorted. They didn't respond to emails and were generally unhelpful - required large amounts of pressure to get results. Still, pretty good prices but my recommendation is to get someone else to price match them and buy it through them. Especially if you live in London - apparently Amtrac (the courier) are particular bad here.....

6. Guest

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I,ve just bought a TV from Empire Direct. As it was on 'back order' it took about 5 weeks to arrive. Works fine so I'm not complaining.

7. WILLDILL

WILLDILL

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    i'm looking to get the same 40WHO8B or possibly the Hitachi 36". www.hispek.com do the tosh for £1649 with 5 year extended warranty and the glass cabinet, plus 0% finance. Also RGB do it for £1435 delivered with cabinet i think.
    whats the price at empire?

8. Guest

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I'd recommend Hi-Spek - they have offered me excellent customer services for the issues I ran into with this set.

Cheers
    Daz

9. delta

delta
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Also try Sound & Vision, Bolton, they will try to beat any price. 01204 861861

10. bigH007

bigH007

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I reckon you should do a price match with John Lewis. That is what I did and you also get a five year guarantee as well.

Can't be bad. :) :) :) :)

11. zoolap

zoolap

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7
    Sorry to say that John Lewis ended price matches on internet dealers on 22nd Oct 2001. You can check, but this is what I remember.

12. Jon Weaver

Jon Weaver

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Born in Bristol but now in Newport, (for my sins)
    Ratings:
    +664
    I can confirm that this is definatly the case.

JL recently price matched 'Unbeatable' for a TV from £2200 to £2000.

Shortly afterwards, Empire Direct reduced their price to £1800.

I wrote to JL and was advised that they would refund the difference.. But the Customer Service Manager also advised that last tuesday (which was the 16th) was the last day that they would price match Internet prices!!

What ever the correct date is, it clear that they will no longer price match internet stores.. But I am happy as not only did I get a further £200 off, I also got a 5 year guarantee and a futher £100 of a VCR (Which is a deal which Sony are offering when you buy a large TV)

13. Kevo

Kevo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +146
    Can Empire Direct be classed as an 'internet dealer'?

Aren't they just an independent with mail order and a web page?

After all most chains and independents have an on-line ordering facility.

Are their goods 'grey imports'?
    They advertise that they are not, but somebody (a competitor) said they do.

Also, what they like for after sales service (Enginner call outs)?

14. graham.myers

graham.myers

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have had problems with both ED and S&B (bolton).

ED took my money the day I ordered, then took 12 weeks to deliver with no apology, unanswered emails, ignorant telephone staff. I wrote a letter of complaint, which was ignored.

However collegues at work have bought from ED and love 'em. The rule of thumb seems to be if its in stock they're good. If not, they/re not. So my recommendation is onyl order from them if its in stock.

I bought my KEF THX speakers + cable from S&B. When I got home (leeds, so 120 mile round trip) they had short changed me on the cable by about 5 meters. It wasn't cheap cable so I rang tem. It took about 6 weeks of hassle and broken promises to get the missing cable. Which, when they delievered, it was the wrong quality (1/2 the price!). Then a further 3 weeks to get the correct cable.

15. bertha

bertha

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +89
    hello - I have price matched against Empire Direct with Royalties Gold a service that the Royal Bank of Scotland provides, they price match with mail order companies such as Empire Direct, you just tell them which magazine you saw the ad in they check it out and call you back, this also includes a 2 year extended warranty - the catch? You have to have a Royalties or Royalties Gold account which is £7 a month or something but you also get loads of other benefits my mother has bought loads of stuff off them & seems pretty happy about it, possibly worth checking out....cheers

16. Blu-rayx

Blu-rayx

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +217
    about 7 weeks ago i ordered a denon 2800 player for £581.77,i cancelled after 4wks.
    get this, just looked on there site and it's on sale for £581.77.
    i hope this is an erro if not what a ripoff company

:devil:

dvd

17. micflair

micflair

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    haha, I was gonna order this tv from empire too.. you might as well end this thread as if you look they have actually stopped doing it now.. grrrrrr!

Mick

18. Nick Drew

Nick Drew

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I cannot recommend Empire Direct to anybody. I ordered a new Panasonic VCR from them on Sunday 16th December. Called them to order and got through fine, just try getting that far with QED!
    Anyway without any prompting from me they said the VCR is in stock and can be delivered on Tuesday 18th December. Which was perfect as I was off work on Tuesday to do some Xmas shopping and they said 98% of all deliverys arrive before 1pm.
    I waiting indoors until 2PM upon which I called them and they assured me they were delivering today and the driver would turn up. By 7PM parcel still hadn't arrived so I called them and was told I had to call the next morning to find out why my VCR had not arrived. I was so angry at my waste of time I told them instantly to cancel my order which shocked them I think.

Numerous E-mails to this company are completely ignored which has left me with no faith in them to even attempt to try them again in the future. I Just hope I don't have problems getting my refund put through now! Delivery wasn't attempted by couriers until Thursday - 2 days late - which I called Empire about and told them because they might be interested from a customer service point of view. But they couldn't care less! Well you be interested if you were a reputable company wouldn't you?

Suffice to say I shopped with my feet and purchased the VCR down Edgware Road. Which is the only way of showing companies like this who is boss. At the end of the day Empire Direct shouldn't promise what they can't deliver. I really was not being difficult as I couldn't stay home any more time before Christmas to wait for a delivery and saddest thing of all is they didn't attempt to correct the situation at all.

19. beng

beng

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi,

Reading these forum posts can be a little disconcerting.

I have just purchased my Hitachi Illumina from Empire Direct for a fantastic price. They were, however, a little hazy on when it would be delivered, even though it was in stock. Apparently, the delivery company will call me when it is good to go!

In my opinion, guys into AV do not like waiting around. They are also real people with incredibly busy lives as working professionals. They do not ususally have the time to sit in at home for a delivery that may never arrive. Time really can be money lost in the real world.

However, if you have any problems with Empire, they are subscribed to at least two web regulatory bodies that actually do have a lot of 'lean on' muscle. Getting a third party involved can often break the toughest of deadlocks and reporting bad customer service to Web Trader will always generate a response, no matter what stage of trading you are at with the company involved.

So, here is hoping that my TV turns up okay and that Techtonics deliver my chipped Sony NS300 on or around the same time.

Ben