1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Empire Direct Vs. Dixons

Discussion in 'General TV Discussions Forum' started by JohnnyPanix, Mar 14, 2002.

1. JohnnyPanix

JohnnyPanix
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hey List,

Well tomorrow is the day. The day I get paid, and therefore the day i order my JVC 28WFT1. Hurrah!

One last question though (thanks all by the way for guiding me to my choice), I can get the tv from empire direct for about £460 inc delivery, but i can also get it from Dixons Online for £499 inc delivery.

I have read many horror stories about Empire Direct on these forums, and i was just wondering if anyone had any experience with Dixons in this regard.

Or if anyone has very positive views of any other company. I would try John Lewis, but I'm miles away and have no car.

any help much appreiciated.

Johnny

2. mansell

mansell

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +39
    make sure ED has it in stock, they take your money straight away even if they have nil stock !!

3. Orson

Orson

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +668
    I've used Empire for the purchase of a washing machine, & they delivered the correct item on the allocated day. This may be down to the manufacturer delivering direct, but it got delivered on time. However they didn't send an Invoice (to enable me to fill in the warranty) until this week (after several requests), some 5 months after purchase. I've yet to see if this causes a problem with the manufacturer....

I've just been after a Panny TV and VCR, but Empire didn't have the TV in stock, and the VCR was cheaper elsewhere (HED.co.uk). Empire refused to price match the VCR (the reason was "my boss says no") unless I ordered the TV as well...BUT...
    They couldn't give a delivery date other than PROBABLY no more than a couple of weeks, they wouldn't send the VCR until the TV was in stock, and they WOULD debit my credit card immediately. I decided against using them, but as mansell says, if they have it in stock, you could save a few quid.

Don't know if this helps, but there you go :confused:

4. shaunthedude

shaunthedude

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    i got my tv from currys (same as dixons) and I cant praise them enough. They have delivered me 6 tvs in 8 months as I kept getting faults. No bother, just rang them, an engineer came the next day to verify the fault. then a new tv would arrive. GREAT SERVICE

5. Woodman

Woodman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    John Lewis will match any local store price but not the internet. What they do offer is the valuable 5 year guarantee. From other threads they are also very responsive to any problems you might have.

I'll certainly be buying my new TV from JL (no, I don't work there!!). That's once I can decide which one to go for. I was thinking about the FQ75. Do I need to say more..........................

6. shaunthedude

shaunthedude

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    i was going to buy mine from John Lewis too but the 5 year gaurentee is not as good as it sounds when looked into properly. Yeah, its free and they will send an engineer out to look at it. BUT, my mates tv went wrong and JL had it 4 months trying to fix it, he was then told it was an in spec fault. Currys on the other hand have 4 weeks to fix it after which they have to give you a new tv. The extended warranty costs a couple of hundred but they are great with their aftersales service.

7. Joe Pineapples

Joe Pineapples

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,129
    i thought i read somewhere that this actually the law - then again i might be wrong - could be worth finding out about.

Dean

8. JohnnyPanix

JohnnyPanix
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    But no one has any tale of terror as far as Dixons are concerned?

9. shaunthedude

shaunthedude

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    currys and dixons are the same company and like I said earlier, they have been fantastic wiith me.:D

10. Brianjhussey

Brianjhussey

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    A couple of years ago I bought the wife a digital camcorder for Christmas from Currys. I had not bothered with an extended guarantee as I think they are a complete rip off. Anyway, within a month the thing would not work, I can't remember what was wrong with it.
    I returned to Currys and they suggested I get in touch with Sony. Upon being advised that my contract was with them, they generously offered to send it to their workship for repair. Having spent £1500, I advised the assistant that I required a replacement.
    To cut a very long story short, it took the best part of 30minutes for the manager to agree a replacement, repeatedly telling me what the Company policy was until he eventually got the message that I was aware of my entitlement under law, and did not care what his company's policy was.
    Make of that what you will.
    Brian.