Empire Direct product standards

Discussion in 'General TV Discussions Forum' started by knoxy, Aug 17, 2004.

1. knoxy

knoxy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +31
    Now, before I go any further, I'd just like to say that I've bought off them before and their customer service was good, the delivery was speedy and post care was very good! In fact, I'm quite likely to by my next telly off them. :lesson:

---------------

I was in a very reputable bricks n mortar department store this evening checking out some tv's that I'm interested in buying and I asked them about price matching. Said they would match any other bricks n mortar price but not online store prices.

Mentioned Empires name a little futher into the conversation and he gave a wry smile and said 'i really wouldnt buy your telly from there'. When I asked him to flesh out his point he just said he wasnt going to explain any further. He just said they were cheap for a reason and it wasnt because they dont have the same overheads a physical store had although that made a price difference yes.

He also mentioned Sound & Vision.

Anybody else heard these stories or is it just a cheap shot? Are their products obtained from elsewhere? Are they the dodgy tellys that come out of the factories?

I'd bought a telly off them before and the service was fine but my telly broke down after 18 months hence the new search for a telly!

2. CLH

CLH

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +21
    I bought mine of S&V and the CS is appalling. I currently have IMO a defective product and they WILL NOT correspond with me.

I would advise anyone to use them for the price and then buy from John Lewis.

So the stories could be true. My personal experience is that S&V have the worst CS I have ever experienced.

3. knoxy

knoxy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +31
    In my experience, as long as you get an engineers report (about 25 quid) that states its faulty and wasn;t caused by anything you did to it, they have to pick it up, repair it and return it to you? But the fact that they won't correspond with you... ouch.

I know if I buy online, I'm sacrificing some of the customer service that I would normally get in a bricks n mortar store - I'm just curious as to know if the actual products are of inferior standard (in some places with fantastic prices) to the ones you get in places like John Lewis. :confused:

4. CLH

CLH

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +21
    Unless they send an engineer who's first line is

"I've never seen one of these before, what's progressive scan???"

I also know that my TV went to S&V (they say) on 31st March 2004 and despite telling me they sell every one that they receive mine was sold to me on 30th June.

For a TV that was golddust back in March I do find some trouble believing that statement.

5. knoxy

knoxy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +31
    Shame when these things happen :(

Not getting too much feedback on whether what I said above has any substance - not looking like anybody else has heard these comments - although now there's doubt in my mind!

6. preston

preston
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    My tube went and they sent a local engineer to collect and repair it. Unfortunately they couldn't get the spare part from JVC and Empire Direct refused to replace the set. After 2 months of no TV and numerous calls I reported them to Trading Standards. I rang them again and informed them of what I had done and they sent me a replacement the very next day. Three cheers for Trading Standards!

7. knoxy

knoxy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +31
    I had to use Trading Standards to get them to budge when my telly went - great service when u do that. Thats why I'm tempted to use em again knowing that I'm covered for up to 5/6 years later even though there's no warranty!

8. CLH

CLH

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +21
    I can't honestly imagine that any retailer would only buy the cast off TV's from factories.

The places that sell stuff cheap sell an awful lot and I just don't see how they could get such huge stock levels of dodgy things.

And whilst Dixons prices may be higher I'd imagine they still have considerably more buying power than Empire for example.

9. preston

preston
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    I'm with CLH on this one. I'd probably use ED again if they were cheap enough. They are big enough to get worried about bad publicity hence the rapid response once you incolve trading standards.

10. knoxy

knoxy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +31
    In all likelyhood, I reckon I'll use them again - I even asked them did they sell off refurbs and got this response:

All our stock is brand new boxed from the respective manufacturers, anything that is not is usually sold off as clearance on the web site

Who knows. Anyway - better place my order then, I can't find anything on the web to suggest otherwise! Think I'll get the Philips 32PW9509 (Pixel Plus 2) - an upgrade on the 28PW9527 I had before. Cannnnnnot wait!! :rotfl:

11. AV Junky

AV Junky

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +69
    Have bought several items from ED in the past without probs, but none have developed a fault (as yet).

Take a look over on the plasma forum for a report on the service levels (post-sale) from S&V. Come to your own conclusions about spending your money with them...

12. cwoj

cwoj

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    aha....Empire Direct do have a bricks & mortar store in Bradford. The best thing to do is go into the store, were they will price match themselves. That way you do get the service of at a shop at internet prices!!!

13. hornydragon

hornydragon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Somewhere near the M4 most of the time......
    Ratings:
    +1,218
    I would buy online as that gets you the distance selling regs, if you go instore and buy you loose these rights.

14. bigscreencrazy

bigscreencrazy
    Novice Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    hi folks,

just read the thread and now realised thar i am not the only one problem buying TV on internet.i bought toshiba 42wh36 from S & v and was advised by toshiba tech adviser to get enginner call out from s& v . while awaiting enginner , i did research on this forum and fixed myself.anyway enginner rang me next day for to check tv and i said i won't need it but he insist on visiting to my house to check in . He did not do anything but want my serial no from tv and left.

a month later i got bill from s&v said nothing wrong with tv and they charged 94£ for call out.i did sent email to C&S but no response.i have explained C&s and sent another email a week ago still no response.

Please advise what i should do,

bigscreen

15. cwoj

cwoj

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    to be honest i donlt have any exp on buying from S&V, but Empire aren;t as bad as some other companies (and no i don't have shares or a brother that works for them!!!)

I think with any trader who slash margins and try and operate in a colume market, they will somewhere along get things wrong and try and hold out on sorting issues out to try and maintain profits..

IMHO, i would say if your after a bargin use the online traders....but be warned if you have a prob, you may need to use the muscle of Trading Standards.

If you want support and customer service, they but from a local shop and pay that little bit more.

They are both selling the same thing, but in different ways!!!!

16. cwoj

cwoj

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Ring them, and document the date, time and response, then write, giving them at least 7 working days to respond. Send this recorded delivery. Then write to you credit card company....they will refund based on your endevours!!! :thumbsup: