1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Emperor's New Groove Problems

Discussion in 'Movie Forum' started by Black 5, Apr 29, 2001.

1. Black 5

Black 5

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    Just watched this and the presentation is punctuated by (DTS) sound dropouts and glitches. I've cleaned the disc and it's spotless and my system works fine otherwise. As the glitches occur in exactly the same place each time, I wonder if this isn't another Disney problem on mastering.

Anyone else out there found anything similar?

2. Guest

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Player ?

Amp/Decoder ?

3. Ono

Ono

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +94
    No problems with my disc. (the Ultimate Groove) on DTS.

Good film actually. Much better than I thought it would be.

4. Black 5

Black 5

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    CW

The player, amp and processor all work fine with other discs and all sound formats - it's an all TAGMclaren setup.

5. Force Field

Force Field

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Drop the disk off to me and I will test it on my system. Sounds like it might just be a dodgy disk.

6. Black 5

Black 5

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    Al,

Will do - tried both dd and dts tracks and the problem's the same at the same points in the disc. Maybe one more polish?

7. Force Field

Force Field

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Brian - time you went to bed. What's been on the movies tonite?

8. Guest

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    The problem wouldn't happen to occur in chapter 5 would it - just when the Ertha Kitt character meets the emporer? On my copy I get sound dropouts in both DTS and DD5.1 at this point plus the picture goes funny - like its displaying only 1 out of 4 frames or something. There are actually a couple of other points where it happens too but thats the most obvious
    I too have a dvd32r (though connected to a Meridian processor) maybe I ought to give it a spin on my old Toshiba 2109.
    Hmm. Disney strikes again...

9. AOD

AOD

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    I also have a problem, but a somewhat different one. The second disc with the heap of extras refuses to play at all on my player (a genuine R1 Philips Magnavox 850).

The film plays fine but the second disc just spins away for a while then stops. No menu, no "error" messages from the player. Nothing!

Good old Disney. Now buying a DVD is like taking part in a lottery. Will it work or won't it?

10. PoochJD

PoochJD

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,862
    Hi,

The only problem with my copy is that the Emperor isn't new, and he doesn't groove! ;)

Don't suppose I could sue Disney under the Trade Descriptions Act could I?!

Pooch

11. cittauk

cittauk
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    While I have not yet watched the full movie, disk one plays but disk 2 has been giving me problems.
    When I attempt to play disk 2 on my Denon 2500 (Stereo Stereo Mod) I get the on-screen message "This type of disk cannot be played. Please insert a different disk".
    My Toshiba 100E (Techtronics Mod) plays disk 2, but disk tracking and time for menus very slow.
    This is the first disk to trip up the Denon, any (polite) suggestions appreciated.

12. cozzer

cozzer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    both discs work fine on my sony 7700 - no sound dropouts on either audio track on disc 1 and disc 2 navigation is fairly smooth (well, for disney anyway).

13. Guest

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    The issue with this disc was highlighted on the Tag Mclaren board under DVD problems.

Apparently it does not actually carry the DVD logo hence does not strictly conform to the DVD standards.

The disc is not actually a bona-fide DVD. What a hassle eh?ENG Link

14. bigguy

bigguy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    on my collectors edition 2 disc set
    it clearly says "Disney DVD"on both the spine and back of the box

15. Black 5

Black 5

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    bigguy,

but it doesn't use the formal "DVD" logo and therefore passes itself off as a disc that would seem to be compatible, but which isn't - outrageous con :mad:

I don't know about others here, but Disney's attitude really ***ses me off - they condascend to give us a few discs that are worth the effort (Tarzan, Toy Story) but otherwise stubbornly refuse to release any of their other real recent classics - Lion King, Aladdin or Beauty and the Beast are examples. What are we being allowed to collect this year? Snow White and the Seven Dwarves - yawn!!

It is my sincere wish that by the time they get around to issuing these titles, dvds will be nothing more than history and they will have missed the boat, the money grabbing *****s :mad: :mad:

16. Guest

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0

Emperor's New Groove is within spec according to Disneys tests, but it go to close to the edges of the spec at some points, some player/decoder manufacturers misinterpreted parts of the dvd spec (not hard to do as not everything has a specific value) and this causes problems with the disc (normally correctable by firmware update)

It could be because Emperor's New Groove use half bit rate DTS, a few decoders (normally based around a certain decoder chip) can't cope with this very well (audio dropouts etc). Is you amp updatable if so contact TAG to see if they have a software update or if they know of a solution.

Lion King, Aladdin or Beauty and the Beast are part of Disneys Platinum collection of 10 movies, they are being released over the next 10 year (one every october), This years release is Snow White and the Seven Dwarves, next year is most proberly Beauty and the Beast.

17. Black 5

Black 5

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    CW2000

Do you think Disney will submit their disc to the dvdforum for review? Then we will see if their disc is up to spec!

The problem is not an audio dropout, although it would be the first disc in my 230+ collection to exhibit this. The picture momentarily stutters and freezes. Tag have analysed the data on the disc (because they are concerned that owners of their kit should have that level of backup) that I sent them and they bought their own copy and their analysis was that the disc doesn't conform to the technical standards required by the dvdforum. However, as Disney are pulling a fast one by not describing their product as a 'proper dvd', that keeps them in the clear.

Once again, outrageous :mad:

I did know about the so-called platinum collection malarki, but this is more condascending than a certain Mr Lucas :rolleyes:

18. Guest

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Black 5 have you posted the problem on Disneys DVD Support site then ?