1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

EMP-TW100 heat question

Discussion in 'Projectors, Screens & Video Processors' started by TrickyDicky, Jul 10, 2003.

1. TrickyDicky

TrickyDicky
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Couldn't find the answer on the FAQ or a forum search so I guess I'll throw out a line...

I'm seriously considering the Epson (even more so after seeing Mr Wilby's shots :clap: )
    Question I have is where are the fans on the Epson model? I'm planning to place the PJ in an Alcove which won't allow for much rear clearance. The PJcentral review states it uses front fans to dissipate the heat but I've just read another review that says it expels heat from the right of the unit????

Can anybody clarify this for me?
    My room layout is here if you want a peek (please also tell me if I'm completely mad with the Alcove idea...top left in first pic)
    http://www.adslink.btinternet.co.uk/HC.htm

cheers,
    Rick

2. Messiah

Messiah

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +339
    I can't remember from the two I had where it dissipated the heat but there were definietly intake/s or outake/s on the side of the unit. Gril on the rear was a throw over from a speaker in previous models so no problem blocking that one but you definitely would not want to block any of the side grills.

That aside how would you plan on siting it. the TW100/LPX500 have no sideshot facility or horizontal keystone adjustment so cannot for the life of me see how you intend using that alcove to mount it :confused:

3. Hugh

Hugh

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,182
    TrickyDicky,

As Messiah says, you wont be able to place this PJ in that alcove as there isn't a horizontal keystone correction. Although with the unit upside down (As it would have to be at that height. Dont worry, there are supplied sticky feet for just that reason) the lens would be nearer to the centre of the room than if upright.

The heat is exhausted from the front of the unit. Lens is on the right, exhaust on the left (Looking at the front). The exhaust is angled to "fire" the heat away from the lens area. You do not want anything near this vent. The air is very warm, almost hot as it comes out. It's a bugger in the summer, but come winter and it'll heat the house up nicely :)

There are a couple of grills at the back and I'll go along with Messiah again and say that they may have had a previous use, but not anymore.

There are no inlets on either side of the unit either (Sorry Messiah. You got that one wrong :) ). One end has a handle, The other has 4 feet (Why on earth you'd want to stand it on it's side, I have no idea)

The only intake is underneath the front where the filter is.

Hope this helps.

4. TrickyDicky

TrickyDicky
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Doh!
    That puts a hold on my plans then, I thought it did have horizontal keystone :(
    Guess I've been looking at too many PJs and getting confused with all the different specs.
    I might look to see if I can do a ceiling mount but I think this will make the throw too short :rolleyes:
    good to hear about the heat exhaust anyway.

ah well...back to the research
    Many thanx for the feedback Messiah and Hugh

rick

5. Messiah

Messiah

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +339
    Oops :( Must be age. My memory is going :)