AlmightyMichael

Novice Member
So I recently placed an order for the emotiva XPA HC-1 mono blocks to power my bowers and wilkins 603 anniversary editions. I have a yahama A6A currently running a full 7.2.4 home theater. I've been using a old yamaha RX A780 reciever as external power for my rear atmos and it was time for an upgrade. I've been going back and fourth on emotiva vs rotel cause the price was similar but I'm still trying to figure out the whole power amp conversation. The emotiva does 300 watts into 1 channel. 879 each. Rotel is a stereo power amp doing 200w into 2 channels 1899. I know more power doesn't always mean it's better but 300 watts to each speaker vs 200 sounded better to me so I went with the emotiva. Again i know that isn't all there is to it with power amps. Which is why I'm here. Looking for more advice. It dawned on me that the emotiva won't do BI-amping but the rotel will, but idk if that's enough to justify a switch. I know it's apples to oranges comparing different brands, power, and stereo vs mono blocks amd it all comes down to my preference in sound but I just want to be confident in my decision and hopefully not buying the rotel anyway later on down the line just cause my curiosity got to me. Bi Ampang isn't everything either but if anyone else has has any extra insight into what exactly I should be looking for with a power amp that would be greatly appreciated.

rccarguy2

Distinguished Member
At these power levels it really doesn't matter as even at above ear damage and speakers damage levels you're likely not even using half of the power so the only differences would be design, that monoblocs have the upper hand due to isolation. But so does biamping. It's not you're comparing four emotiva monoblocs biamping versus £300 AVR

tekken57

Novice Member
I'm fairly new to high end audio so I can't comment on the Emotiva, however I've recently purchased the Rotel 1582 to drive my 703's in a 7.1 setup. The sound is improved over using just my Denon AVR to power all 7 speakers.

I tried Bi Amp'ing the 703's using the Rotel as it has two binding posts per channel. However I didn't notice a significant difference, so I'm just running one cable per speaker from the Rotel now and it sounds pretty good.

Hope this helps as it seems like bi amping is your concern.

rccarguy2

Distinguished Member
I'm fairly new to high end audio so I can't comment on the Emotiva, however I've recently purchased the Rotel 1582 to drive my 703's in a 7.1 setup. The sound is improved over using just my Denon AVR to power all 7 speakers.

I tried Bi Amp'ing the 703's using the Rotel as it has two binding posts per channel. However I didn't notice a significant difference, so I'm just running one cable per speaker from the Rotel now and it sounds pretty good.

Hope this helps as it seems like bi amping is your concern.

That isn't biamping it's bi wiring

Bi amping will require four channels of amplification.

Full on active biamping will require the same four channels but speakers don't have any crossover instead it's done at the pre stage between pre and power so you have hf and lf power amplifiers. The speaker terminals go directly into the drivers

tekken57

Novice Member
That isn't biamping it's bi wiring

Bi amping will require four channels of amplification.

Full on active biamping will require the same four channels but speakers don't have any crossover instead it's done at the pre stage between pre and power so you have hf and lf power amplifiers. The speaker terminals go directly into the drivers
Thanks for clarifying. I've never seen an active bi amping connection like you mentioned before.

rccarguy2

Distinguished Member
Thanks for clarifying. I've never seen an active bi amping connection like you mentioned before.

Active monitor speakers sometimes have biamping it'll show in advertising like 35w treble 50w for mid/bass
For Linn hifi speakers there's Linn aktiv

You can do this with regular speakers need knowledge in crossover and speaker design and ability to customise the active crossover network specific for that speaker

The latest video from AVForums

Samsung QN95B 4K QLED TV Review
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom