Emotiva XPA Amplifiers

MJ81

Prominent Member
Reaction score
What is the problem with Emotiva amplifiers? I have two XPA 7 amps powering my home cinema and people tend to turn their noses up to them compared to ATI, parasound and Trinnov variants. I have a fairly high end cinema with a trinnov Alt 16, wisdom speakers and subs and MadVR extreme, but I get many comments that say Emotiva just doesn’t belong in that category. I’m guessing it has more to do with brand recognition than anything else. These amps of mine are driving very low resistance speakers and have so much head room. Distortion levels are inaudible and there is no hissing during dead quiet parts of movies.

I’m looking for other peoples opinions on this who have actually heard differences between the XPA amps and other high end. I feel I should upgrade the amps to another brand in future but my head just keeps asking why?

Attachments

• E049E0A6-6AB5-4B05-B19D-6C9613C9AF36.jpeg
    E049E0A6-6AB5-4B05-B19D-6C9613C9AF36.jpeg
    159.4 KB · Views: 111
  • 0413027F-0B94-4F6C-8307-0DB3C5AE7731.jpeg
    0413027F-0B94-4F6C-8307-0DB3C5AE7731.jpeg
    175 KB · Views: 94
  • AD803774-06E7-4656-AC93-325E621C677E.jpeg
    AD803774-06E7-4656-AC93-325E621C677E.jpeg
    274.1 KB · Views: 104
I’ve not heard the difference myself (same kit in the same room) but I have just purchased a 9 channel XPA from @Canary_Jules who has just replaced his XPA’s with an Amplitude.
He told me he upgraded to free up rack space by going to just one box and his only other comment was that the Amplitude runs cooler.
Hopefully he’ll add his thoughts if not it might be worth sending him a PM.

Last edited:
It's brand snobbery. I have had many variants of the XPA Gen3 and they sound excellent, run cool and give no issues. The 5 year warranty which is transferrable is also a bonus. I get the feeling high end audiophiles have probably had their ear bent by dealers who can get 3 times the cash for their shiny new parasound so go with that but in my opinion the XPA is a hidden gem....

Last edited:
What is the problem with Emotiva amplifiers? I have two XPA 7 amps powering my home cinema and people tend to turn their noses up to them compared to ATI, parasound and Trinnov variants. I have a fairly high end cinema with a trinnov Alt 16, wisdom speakers and subs and MadVR extreme, but I get many comments that say Emotiva just doesn’t belong in that category. I’m guessing it has more to do with brand recognition than anything else. These amps of mine are driving very low resistance speakers and have so much head room. Distortion levels are inaudible and there is no hissing during dead quiet parts of movies.

I’m looking for other peoples opinions on this who have actually heard differences between the XPA amps and other high end. I feel I should upgrade the amps to another brand in future but my head just keeps asking why?
Nothing. I recently changed from several (count 5) Emo XPA amps to 2 ATI 7 Channel to achieve, similar to what Jules wanted. Extra rack space and cooler running amps. Huge difference? - hmmm not so sure - expectation bias (definitely). I did achieve one thing though - extra rack space :).

I used to be a "if it ain't broke don't fix it type of guy" - until I started reading these damn forums :facepalm:.

Nice rack and some cracking high-end kit to go with it too - what kind is it?

Nothing. I recently changed from several (count 5) Emo XPA amps to 2 ATI 7 Channel to achieve, similar to what Jules wanted. Extra rack space and cooler running amps. Huge difference? - hmmm not so sure - expectation bias (definitely). I did achieve one thing though - extra rack space :).

I used to be a "if it ain't broke don't fix it type of guy" - until I started reading these damn forums :facepalm:.

Nice rack and some cracking high-end kit to go with it too - what kind is it?
It’s a penn Penn Elcom EMS-6842BK 42U

I’m in the same boat. I feel kind of pushed along with popular opinion. “it cost more so it must be better”. Most people who do decide to upgrade and pay three times what their old amps cost, are going to bloody hear a difference for sure whether it’s there or not! Appreciate your honesty 👍🏻

No issues with heat in the enclosed rack? I have an "open" rack, but some of the equipment does generate some noise that I'd like to deal with.

No issues with heat in the enclosed rack? I have an "open" rack, but some of the equipment does generate some noise that I'd like to deal with.
It has extract fans at the top and the room has air conditioning. When I built my cinema I put ac in the cinema as well as the playroom that the rack is in. The whole rack can get up to 35 deg when I’m watching a movie but general is sat at 25 deg depending on the room temperature. I always keep an eye on it

Attachments

• C899DBBE-3D22-4D24-A70B-3DD98BF4BC10.jpeg
    C899DBBE-3D22-4D24-A70B-3DD98BF4BC10.jpeg
    242.4 KB · Views: 92
It has extract fans at the top and the room has air conditioning. When I built my cinema I put ac in the cinema as well as the playroom that the rack is in. The whole rack can get up to 35 deg when I’m watching a movie but general is sat at 25 deg depending on the room temperature. I always keep an eye on it
Nice setup! Not speaking from experience, only research but it sounds like you don't need to swap out those XPA's. Any differences will not be audible ones, so you'd be paying extra for the benefit of insects etc.

Only thing I would change is that black door, can you find a white one? 😉

Just to add I bought an Emotiva XPA-DR3 a few months ago and it has given me no issues whatsoever. I'm delighted and would happily recommend unlike some PAs I could mention.

I had emotiva amps before my amplitudes.

Definite buyer bias, but there was a slight increase in dynamics.

Blind testing would probably show the same thing but the difference isn’t huge and certainly not worth the money difference.

However, the low gain matching of the amplitude and altitude does make the noise floor completely silent, and I mean silent. Even from 5cm away there is absolutely no hiss coming from the speakers. It certainly wasn’t bad with the emotivas, but the amplitude it quieter in this regard.

had emotiva amps before my amplitudes.

Blind testing would probably show the same thing but the difference isn’t huge and certainly not worth the money difference.

However, the low gain matching of the amplitude and altitude does make the noise floor completely silent, and I mean silent. Even from 5cm away there is absolutely no hiss coming from the speakers. It certainly wasn’t bad with the emotivas, but the amplitude it quieter in this regard.

Low gain means you need capable pre outs?

I had emotiva amps before my amplitudes.

I left my post sit for while and was ready to post mentioning you for the OP, but you beat me to it as wanted to hear your thoughts on those two. :) Intresting and just what i was expecting more or less. 16500£ for two power amps is quite tough pill to swallow, but with the no compromise approach in your cinema, not suprising.

The XPA Gen 3 is absolute powerhouse, but some things were found on Stereophile review when the experienced John Atkinson measured the unit and Herb the "golden ear" did the subjective listening tests.

Emotiva's XPA Gen3 amplifier offers high power with low levels of noise and distortion, at least at frequencies below 10kHz, at a very affordable price. But the amplifier's problems at the top of the audioband bother me. Predicting the subjective effect of this objective behavior is probably an exercise in futility, but I do wonder if it correlates with Herb's finding that the Emotiva sounded "hard and 100% masculine" through two of the speakers he tried with it.—John Atkinson

Stereophile reviews are focused exclusively on two-channel listening. Even then, providing an amp has sufficient power for the speakers, the audible differences between an Emotiva and ATI/Trinnov/Parasound are likely to be miniscule.

It’s a different decision if your amps have insufficient power to adequately drive your speakers.

Out of all devices in the audio chain, I find that power amps make the least difference, especially for multichannel systems. You have some great kit by the way 👍🏻.

Last edited:
I’ve had a Gen 1 XPA-5 for probably 11-12 years I reckon. Beast of an amp and flawless.

Used it with a 5.1 B&W setup and Jamo D600’s.

tremendous set up .

the natural switch would be to an amplitude 16 i guess but i dont blame you for needing to be persuaded that the cost is worth it. seems like a great bit of kit though and i guess the cost is justified for what you are getting.

but do you need to free up rack space or simplify wiring? it doesnt look like it.

fwiw i have been using two XPA gen 3 amps in my set up for just over a year and have had nothing but good experience with them

😂

I hope a glossary was included with the review!

Subjective reviews are always fun to read when you bored due to these fancy words they use. AVForums XPA-11 Gen3 review talked about the "powerful and muscular delivery", but lacking some refinement which he founds on more expensive power amps. Little OT, but he funniest comment i have seen was toward Marantz avr at WHF "Powerfull and smooth, but lacks a romantic spark". :rotfl:

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom