Emotiva XPA-11 Gen3 11-Channel Power Amplifier Review & Comments

Thanks Steve, I’ve got one of these myself.

I was a little concerned about the power output of the 8 “surround channels” prior to installing, but listening with my arendal speakers, they have no problems going to reference level and above.

Another advantage is that they remain stone cold to the touch regardless of how loud you listen and how hard you push them.

A great one box solution.

Last edited:
I've run one of these in two different demo rooms and at home and it has never failed to impress. Killer amp, nice to see it get a bit of credit this side of the pond.

Dan

I've run one of these in two different demo rooms and at home and it has never failed to impress. Killer amp, nice to see it get a bit of credit this side of the pond.

Dan

It pairs pretty damn well with the RMC-1 as well mate 👍🏻

Thanks for the review @Steve Withers, I can see that you are using JBL Control Ones for the Atmos duties. I have them installed to do surround duties given the space/budget/usage constraints. They still continue to impress and they blend superbly with my LS50s and REL T5. Did you mount them on ceiling and just as height channels on the front and rear walls?

I am contemplating in getting an XTZ-A2 300 poweramp to expand the system to 7.1.2 and later 7.1.4 down the line. This Emotiva look a good option with modular design.

Thanks for the review @Steve Withers, I can see that you are using JBL Control Ones for the Atmos duties. I have them installed to do surround duties given the space/budget/usage constraints. They still continue to impress and they blend superbly with my LS50s and REL T5. Did you mount them on ceiling and just as height channels on the front and rear walls?

I am contemplating in getting an XTZ-A2 300 poweramp to expand the system to 7.1.2 and later 7.1.4 down the line. This Emotiva look a good option with modular design.
I've got six of them on the ceiling, firing downwards for front, middle and rear top channels.

I've got six of them on the ceiling, firing downwards for front, middle and rear top channels.
Now I need to convince my wife so that she lets me hang these on the ceiling, not the most nicer looking I must admit but I am more interested in the sound and Atmos :D

With a lottery win, I would certainly consider buying this Emotiva 11-channel power amplifer and using my Denon receiver as only a processor.

Hi Steve,

Cracking review, for those of us only realistically needing 3 channels , would you suggest the 3 channel version of the Emotiva or are there other recommendations that you would be able to share?

Thanks

G
I'd definitely recommend getting the 3-channel version, not only because it's excellent but also because if you decide to expand your system you can add more channels.

Now I need to convince my wife so that she lets me hang these on the ceiling, not the most nicer looking I must admit but I am more interested in the sound and Atmos :D
I'm lucky enough to have a dedicated home cinema, but I can see why it would be an issue if you're trying to hang a bunch of speakers from the ceiling.

@Steve Withers Hello Mr Withers! Do you happen to have the prices of the versions with fewer channels please? I'm specifically interested in the seven-channel version, how much would that cost? On further reflection of my post #11 above, I was thinking of a seven-channel version for the base layer, and using whichever Denon receiver for the height / width channels - it would be a shame to entirely waste all the built-in amplification of the Denon receiver!

I'm guessing that the seven-channel version of the Emotiva would cost about £1.500. In that case, how would you compare its performance to that of the £1,050 seven-channel IOTA AVXP1 power amplifier? All other things being roughly equal I would like to support the British IOTA rather than the American Emotiva, but that's the thing, are they roughly equal please?

@Steve Withers Hello Mr Withers! Do you happen to have the prices of the versions with fewer channels please? I'm specifically interested in the seven-channel version, how much would that cost? On further reflection of my post #11 above, I was thinking of a seven-channel version for the base layer, and using whichever Denon receiver for the height / width channels - it would be a shame to entirely waste all the built-in amplification of the Denon receiver!

I'm guessing that the seven-channel version of the Emotiva would cost about £1.500. In that case, how would you compare its performance to that of the £1,050 seven-channel IOTA AVXP1 power amplifier? All other things being roughly equal I would like to support the British IOTA rather than the American Emotiva, but that's the thing, are they roughly equal please?

I’ve had both, although the IOTA is excellent value for money, the emotiva is better than the IOTA in every department IMO.

The IOTA is also massive and can be a bit difficult to fit into racking.

good review - I have the 5 channel version, I was wondering if there would be much noticeable improvement of buying a dedicated 2 channel to power L&R and having the 5 channel emotiva to run the other channels? another words getting more power to L&R by using a dedicated 2 channel rather than running them in with 3 others using the 5 channel amp

@mb3195 Thanks for your input! Always good to hear from an owner. Let's hope that Mr Withers also gives his opinion.

good review - I have the 5 channel version, I was wondering if there would be much noticeable improvement of buying a dedicated 2 channel to power L&R and having the 5 channel emotiva to run the other channels? another words getting more power to L&R by using a dedicated 2 channel rather than running them in with 3 others using the 5 channel amp

I think due to their design you’ll have the same power output as you’re currently getting. It’s only on the higher channel versions (9 and 11 I think) that they have lower output channels on the “lower channels”.

I think due to their design you’ll have the same power output as you’re currently getting. It’s only on the higher channel versions (9 and 11 I think) that they have lower output channels on the “lower channels”.
thanks for that - may I ask then in your setup what the Basx-a150 is for?

thanks for that - may I ask then in your setup what the Basx-a150 is for?

I’ve got 6 Atmos speakers. It is for the 2 middle ones.

The basx is not a patch on the gen3 though, even the lower powered surround modules are more powerful than the basx one despite quoted figures being lower.

It’s fine for what I need it for though.

I'm guessing that the seven-channel version of the Emotiva would cost about £1.500.

I believe the 7 Channel retails for the same price. Probably due to the config of the Single and Stereo Modules as the 7 Channel would be 7 Single Modules.

I believe the 7 Channel retails for the same price. Probably due to the config of the Single and Stereo Modules as the 7 Channel would be 7 Single Modules.
Sorry Dodge, I'm not clear the same price as what? I would be interested in a seven-channel amplifier consisting of three more powerful mono modules for front left, centre and right, and then two lesser powered stereo modules for the surround pair of speakers and for the rear pair of speakers.

The same price as the 11 Channel. Ask Dan (above) for that specific pricing. My assumption would be a similar price to the 5 Channel.

Indeed, more channels = less power but they price them the same on the 7, 9 & 11.
So are the 7 channel, 9-channel and 11-channel configurations all the same price? Again, I'm concerned about the presence (or not!) of the three powerful mono modules for the front left, centre and right channels in whichever configuration.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom