Emotiva XMC-2 vs Lyngdorf MP50 upg Shootout

Is the trinnov the natural progression for most? It appears to be…

For the enthusiast market in the UK, yes. For the high end every day customer will go for the Lyngdorf or Steinway Lyngdorf. In the US with typically bigger dedicated rooms and more speakers, their only option really is the Trinnov until Lyngdorf punch back with their 32ch processor this year or early next.

edit: Assuming Lyngdorf actually bother their arse to do any marketing in the Us of course.

Regular people will be a lot more fussy on aesthetics as well. The forums are a very tiny subset of the UK/US market. Most of AVS are people just waffling to the nth degree about a projector image that 100% of people wouldn't notice unless shown or a graph.

Then you look at their theatres and it's red carpet and brown walls and ornate crowning etc - so obviously contrast wasn't important even tho the person was arguing the point to death - it's a very confusing place.

@orange55
I tried the 4:2:0, it’s better, but switching inputs is still a bit hit n miss, it would appear to be the Oppo confusing it.

@orange55
I tried the 4:2:0, it’s better, but switching inputs is still a bit hit n miss, it would appear to be the Oppo confusing it.
Do you not have the option to split your audio and video so you don’t get this issue ?

@orange55
Ok. Must be the latest firmware, I am still running an older version to avoid the hdmi issues which were reported.

What version are you on, can’t see any old ones on Lyngdorf site

What version are you on, can’t see any old ones on Lyngdorf site
4.2.0. If you contact Lyngdorf they have sent out previous versions to other users.

Instead of changing firmware, if I just use Oppo its fine. If I want to watch other sources, just turn off Oppo and power cycle MP50. I wouldn't normally be flicking between Sky/Roku and Oppo anyway. Decision has been made( I think) 🤷‍♀️ and I'll add my final thoughts in next few days.

Just for info, after getting sync issues switching, Support sent me v4.0.3, which seems to be much more stable.

Ok the results are in, the judges scorecards have been marked and verified…..
I need Kirstie and Phil for a love it or list it.

I’m going to sell the MP50, but only because I want to try for a Trinnov 🤪
If the lure of a Trinnov wasn’t there I would have kept the MP50, not sure I can get to a Trinnov, but without cash from MP50 it’s a non starter.

There is absolutely nothing between the MP50 and XMC-2, they both have quirks. The XMC2 can probably be tuned more with a Dirac expert.
So going back to 1st post and thoughts, here’s the amended one

Emotiva
Pros
Osd
Sounds great out of the box

Cons
Dirac a fiddle to setup and you have to use a laptop

Lyngdorf
Pros
RP is very easy to run with great results
Premium build quality, looks expensive.

Cons
No Osd
Out of the box sounds bad

The result is probably a draw and just comes down to what you want and budget. I can see why Lyngdorf is popular because it’s just so easy to setup and rerunning RP is easy and that’s why I’d keep the MP50.

I hope that all makes sense

If you're interested in hearing a Trinnov and having a play with one, let me know.

If you're interested in hearing a Trinnov and having a play with one, let me know.
He’s already heard mine, that’s why he wants one 😂

And here’s the ad

Well it’s an unexpected update. I swapped my speakers to MKSound MPS2520P.
I haven’t rerun Dirac
Decided to try the MP50, as sale thread was quiet, they sounded pretty good, so reran RP and the sound was quite transformational. Sounds very good and the bass is spot on, not that I ever thought it wasn’t,
I also downgraded FW to fix the sync issues with Oppo, Freesat and ATV4K so sync is now ok, takes about 5 secs with PJ.
I need to rerun Dirac on XMC-2 to compare, but the MP50 has left ahead at the moment.

The Trinnov is out of the equation as getting a Lumagen.

Nothing new here…
Reran Dirac several times as 1st run was terrible 🤷🏻‍♂️
2nd run added a 4db HK curve. Then compared 4 cd tracks over and over….so only testing 2.1
There’s clearly more to be tweaked in XMC-2 but not sure it’s within my capabilities.
The MP50 sounds better, maybe warmer, but it’s so easy with RP.
But I’d like to keep Trinnov dream alive so will sell MP50, then if dream fails will look at getting XMC-2 setup by an expert.

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom