Emotiva XMC-2 vs Lyngdorf MP50 upg Shootout

orange55

Okay, please excuse my stupidity about this, but I just want to be clear: I took measurements within and around the listening area until it reached 98%.

The (paper) instruction manual suggested NOT to take any measurements within 50 cm of walls and ceiling, but you're suggesting that it's okay to do so once you've gone over 90%, is this right?

I'm thinking of changing my speakers next year and will run RP again, so this extra information will come in handy then.

Happy to help no problem. I have added the screen shots of the PDF manual which came with the Lyngdorf. I would say that as the first diagram shows you should measure around the whole room, not just around the listening listening area. Assuming I have interrupted your response correctly. The more of the room you do the better response you get.

You are correct once you get over 90% doing some near the walls and ceilings, in fact the diagram at the bottom shows the floor also, which I did.

MP502.png
MP501.png

Here is a link to the PDF manual: https://lyngdorf.steinwaylyngdorf.c...773&filename=MP-50 ENG Manual August 2018.pdf

oaklandraiders

Update time !
I’ve been using the MP50 for the Last week and hooked up the XMC-2 yesterday.
The picture is better on the MP50 because it upscales 2k or 4k ( albeit eshift as jvc isn’t proper 4k)
The upscale on MP50 is better than one in JVC
XMC-2 doesn’t upscale .
So picture winner is MP50
But the sound on XMC-2 is to me better, it’s more flexible with the Memory slots, so I can have MLP as default then if I sit on the floor, switch to that filter(as that’s a saved measured setting)
The MP50 is easier to use and rerun RP far easier than Dirac.

For me the winner is XMC-2, there’s hardly anything between them, but I can prob sell the MP50, buy a Lumagen and have a much better picture.
I’ll run the XMC-2 this week then a final compare to MP50

Quorra

I always hear people seem to love the sound on the xmc-2 but I never hear about rmc-1 or rmc-l .. shouldnt they all sound the same.

orange55

Update time !
I’ve been using the MP50 for the Last week and hooked up the XMC-2 yesterday.
The picture is better on the MP50 because it upscales 2k or 4k ( albeit eshift as jvc isn’t proper 4k)
The upscale on MP50 is better than one in JVC
XMC-2 doesn’t upscale .
So picture winner is MP50
But the sound on XMC-2 is to me better, it’s more flexible with the Memory slots, so I can have MLP as default then if I sit on the floor, switch to that filter(as that’s a saved measured setting)
The MP50 is easier to use and rerun RP far easier than Dirac.

For me the winner is XMC-2, there’s hardly anything between them, but I can prob sell the MP50, buy a Lumagen and have a much better picture.
I’ll run the XMC-2 this week then a final compare to MP50
Btw on the MP-50 you can set multiple listening positions in memory. They are called focus points. You add a new focus point, set distances and take one measurement at the position and your good to go. Then just use the mobile app to change them.

I see your going to let you’re go, but for anyone reading this it’s worth knowing this feature exists on the Lyngdorf.

oaklandraiders

Btw on the MP-50 you can set multiple listening positions in memory. They are called focus points. You add a new focus point, set distances and take one measurement at the position and your good to go. Then just use the mobile app to change them.

I see your going to let you’re go, but for anyone reading this it’s worth knowing this feature exists on the Lyngdorf.
Ok I thought could only have 1 focus point, I’ll try that when I connect it again.

markymiles

Distinguished Member
Interesting comparison and echoes my thoughts that there really isn't much in it once you get past the cheaper rubbish and is mostly down to your preferences of which EQ system you like the results of best. Without Eq differences between decent gear are very very subtle.

oaklandraiders

Just going to take some further RP measurements.
Plugged MP50 in last night after about a week on XMC-2, it’s weird it sounded very clean and sharp, there’s really nothing between them. I also upped the bass slightly.

MickB

Are you sure MP-50 upscales? My understanding was it just passed through the input resolution of the picture to the output device.

MickB

Yes thats what I thought - I think possibly the MP50 non-upgrade might upscale.
Good point - I bought mine already upgraded & I'm sure there's no scaling done,my Radiance does it all....

oaklandraiders

Let me check scaling, but thought it did.
Got RP upto 98% and added 2nd focus.
I didnt think 2nd focus sounded any different

MartR

98% is to high... then it start to sound more clinical and there is more filtering going on.
Try to get between 93 and 95%.

orange55

Seems it’s worth trying different levels of room knowledge and see what you like.

For me the 100% gives improved clarity and timing to music, which suits me well because about 80% of my listening is 2 channel music with my MP-50.

oaklandraiders

An update of sort,
Spent this morning flicking between the 2, playing the last 5 minutes of ‘The Girl Before’ episode 3
They sound different but which is better is anybodys guess.
I honestly couldn’t pick ‘em and would be happy with either.
So on that basis I’m tempted to sell the MP50 and see what happens.
The other half likes the MP50 because it looks nicer.

oaklandraiders

So after Xmas on the XMC-2 I hooked up the MP50 and reran RP with the sub on manual.
RP did it’s stuff at a much louder level than before.
I then played a few CD’s, much to my surprise the MP50 sounded very good, much better than before. I’ll try a few films over next day or so, but the MP50 has edged ahead.
Main doubts with MP50 are no OSD and the HDMI handshake with Oppo 203 is painful.

mattmarsden

Its worth downgrading the firmware on the MP50 as I had no end of HDMI problems with the current firmware but none with the firmware I’m on at the moment - can’t remember what version it is but can let you know if you want to try.

Doubleroll

My understanding is there will be a firmware update from Lyngdorf to address the “know“ HDMI issues…sometime this year…patiently waiting ;-)

nigelk1

So after Xmas on the XMC-2 I hooked up the MP50 and reran RP with the sub on manual.
RP did it’s stuff at a much louder level than before.
I then played a few CD’s, much to my surprise the MP50 sounded very good, much better than before. I’ll try a few films over next day or so, but the MP50 has edged ahead.
Main doubts with MP50 are no OSD and the HDMI handshake with Oppo 203 is painful.
Hi, what do you mean by running RP with sub on manual ?

Also what issues are you having with the handshaking to the Oppo, I haven’t seen any problems with my MP-40 and 203, but I do only send audio to it, video is direct to TV.

oaklandraiders

@nigelk1
By Sub on manual I mean the volume control is active on sub, not in auto mode.
The Oppo menu shows, you put in a disc to play and black screen, flickers occasionally, green light on x5500 goes off, wait……nothing happens. If I turn MP50 off/on then disc menu is on screen.

nigelk1

Ok, I don’t have an auto mode on my subs.

I presume you have your oppo video and audio going to your MP-50 through a single hdmi ?

oaklandraiders

By auto, it’s actually THX, then processor has full control of volume, but everyone says use the manual control.
Yes single HDMI

orange55

@nigelk1
By Sub on manual I mean the volume control is active on sub, not in auto mode.
The Oppo menu shows, you put in a disc to play and black screen, flickers occasionally, green light on x5500 goes off, wait……nothing happens. If I turn MP50 off/on then disc menu is on screen.
I might be able to help with the Oppo. Adjust the colour on the Oppo to just 4:2:0, not 4:4:4. I had same problem with Apple TV and that fixed it. It sounds like it when the Oppo refresh rate change.

Hope that helps.

Rock Danger

Distinguished Member
98% is to high... then it start to sound more clinical and there is more filtering going on.
Try to get between 93 and 95%.

This is not correct. At 95% RP has a good idea of what's going on. Pretty much every CI will run it to 97 or 98%

One of the head engineers said there was no point in running it to 100% however as it wouldn't be of any benefit. This weird myth of too much filtering is not backed up by any data or advice from Lyngdorf, it is purely subjective.

If I had to pick between RP and Dirac, I would take RP. The only Dirac I did like was on the Storm, but felt that the Lyngdorf was tighter in the bass at the end of the day.

None of these processors get everything right, the Trinnov is kinda weird and clonky to navigate vs the others and does a few weird things too, but has the best DSP and being software based it bloody should have.

The latest video from AVForums

Maverick UK Premiere IMAX Review + Top Gun, Tom Cruise, Tony Scott and 4K + Movie/TV News
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Latest News

LG UltraGear Gaming Monitors get VESA certification
  • By Ian Collen
  • Published
LG announces new CineBeam HU915QE 4K laser projector
  • By Ian Collen
  • Published
Movies Podcast | Maverick IMAX Review, 4K Disc News and More
  • By Phil Hinton
  • Published

Full fat HDMI teeshirts