Emotiva Owners & Discussion Thread

DodgeTheViper

Reaction score
A little something, correction, a big heavy something has just been delivered to me. Just placed it in my room ready for the unboxing to begin. Looks like it could be an interesting weekend of testing :D

Last edited:
Let me know how the flux capacitors burn in.

I've just lifted it out of it's box and how glad am i that i changed my kit rack a few weeks ago in readiness for this :eek:

DodgeTheViper said:
I've just lifted it out of it's box and how glad am i that i changed my kit rack a few weeks ago in readiness for this :eek:

Dodge some pics and review please when you're ready ;-)

Just realised I forgot to get a power cable. The spare one that I have, I'm not sure is heavy duty enough, so may have to try my local Maplins.

I can do home made, just need the cable and parts. Don't really want to use the standard one that I have, and I'm kicking myself now :rolleyes:

EDIT: I wonder if I could cut the plug off the supplied cable and just fit a new plug, mmm

Last edited:
Yeh, I'm off to get a suitable plug. All other cabling is done and ready to go now ;)

Oh crap, the US use different colour coding for the cables :rolleyes:

Wikipedia is my friend :)

Last edited:
So this is what the 150's can sound like :D

I like to listen to movies fairly loud, and just using the Onkyo 818, some scenes with certain movies would appear on the harsh side, particularly with voices. So I used to find myself turning the volume down a little to reduce the harshness. This would also happen with action scenes as well, so there was probably a point that I couldn't cross for fear of adding some probable distortion into the mix.

Now though, things have changed somewhat. And yes there is a very noticeable difference in adding copious amounts of power for the 150's to relish in. There seems to be a huge amount of headroom with no distortion that I have heard yet, or indeed ever will now.

I have increased dynamics, a huge soundstage, full on and natural, clear sounding vocals. At no point did I want to decrease the volume because a certain element appeared to be harsh or distorted in any way. In fact I felt the opposite, I just had the feeling that it all could be pushed even harder.

I always had the feeling that my 150's were capable of more than what I was hearing with the 818, and to a point even with my previous 3009.

So am I a happy man, you bet I am. Will an upgrade to a seperate processor be on the cards for some time in the future, you bet it could. I just had particular reasons for not going down that route when I sold the 3009 for the 818. But for now, this setup will do me nicely. :smashin:

Excellent. Just need to update your Sig now. Enjoy it. I'm still looking at the possibility of an XPA-7 (when it is released) even though my UPA-7 doesn't seem to be lacking in my room/system.

I'm told the current high-end Onkyo's (including the 5509) are supposedly here until 2014. Just FYI. ;)

I think I will enjoy immensely, without thinking too much about what if, because I think I'm basically there, at least for the time being. ;-)

Looks like I won't see many reductions on the 5509 then, not a problem though.

Matt, what do you think the XPA-7 will bring you that the UPA-7 doesn't ?

Matt, what do you think the XPA-7 will bring you that the UPA-7 doesn't ?

I would hope that it would be an improvement in quality. Not that the UPA-7 isn't a good quality power amp, but I'd expect the XPA-7 to be that little bit better. As my speakers are not so easy to drive, I would also expect the XPA-7 to handle them a little better - again, not that the UPA-7 isn't doing a good job. I'm just thinking that I should have a 'better' power amp with my speakers. The XPA-7 will (possibly) only be a small step, but it's affordable one. I'm still considering other options, but none are really standing out at the moment.

If the XPA-7 had been around when I bought the UPA-7, I would have spent the extra money. Unfortunately it had been under discussion for well over a year and nothing was confirmed, it was more of a rumour than anything. So now that it seems the XPA-7 is closer to being scheduled for release, I think I want to give it a try.

I'd love to find out what a budget of around £10k on a power amp or two would bring to my system, but I don't have that kind of money to spend at the moment - and if I did it would more than likely be spent on a decent projector.

Dodge I am happy to hear that you are enjoying the XPA 5. I am still yet to fully test mine out as I have been working all week this week and I am off. I am off tomorrow and Monday so I will re calibrate with Audyssey and watch Avengers with DTS HD MASTER ;-)..Dodge. I was wondering if you plugged the XPA 5 into the main power socket on the wall or into an extension lead? Mine is on a Monster Power Strip but people on the emo forum swear by it making a huge difference when plugging directly into the wall outlet. I think I am going to try this and see what difference I can see. Did you try it yet? Thanks and again congratulations with your purchase. Also please pics of your amazing setup ;-)

I've got it plugged directly into a wall socket. I've always done that with my amps, but have everything else plugged into an extension, I.e. media players, Sonos etc.

I've got some pics, just need to post them up. ;)

DodgeTheViper said:
I've got it plugged directly into a wall socket. I've always done that with my amps, but have everything else plugged into an extension, I.e. media players, Sonos etc.

I've got some pics, just need to post them up. ;)

Thanks Dodge, in your experience does that make a difference then? Also is the Onkyo plugged into the wall socket or power strip...? Looking forward to the pictures ;-)

I'm not sure if it would make a big difference to be honest, although I do have the 818 and the XPA-5 into seperate wall sockets but are on the same ring main.

All Emotiva Power Amps have power conditioning, over voltage, under voltage and surge protection built in. So Emotiva recommend to plug them directly into the wall socket.

Even so, I power my UPA-7 off one of my IsoTek Sigmas units. I can't confirm if that makes a difference to the sound quality or not, maybe one day I'll compare it.

All Emotiva Power Amps have power conditioning, over voltage, under voltage and surge protection built in. So Emotiva recommend to plug them directly into the wall socket.

You are absolutely correct ;)

Just going to load some pics up now of my setup :D

Here we go . . . .

SAM_0314.jpg

SAM_0317.jpg

SAM_0318.jpg

SAM_0294.jpg

SAM_0319.jpg

SAM_0282.jpg

Dodge very Sexy and stylish dedicated room bro. Love your style and the star wars gear looks amazing ;-). Big congratulations on your purchase and hope you enjoy any tips and tricks in settings don't forget to tell your fellow emo friends ;-) all the best mate!

P.S would love to have a demo at your place (hint hint) ;-)

I am glad you like your XPA, i have taken the plunge and purchased my XPA-2 on Friday evening. The amount of trouble it got me in was unbelievable. It went as far as to block my card for fear of fraud transactions with me making that payment abroad.
How many working days did your item take to come from dispatch date, and how did you get on with tax and how long that holds the item up for. Its fair to say im over excited now and seeing everyone else get their hands on the Emotiva items is making me want even more

.... You lot have started something now, I'm going to have to look into this more now lol.
Very nice room you got there as well Kev.

Last edited:

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom