• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.
  • Black Friday Deals
    Visit our Black Friday page for our frequently updated, hand picked deals on TVs and other tech.

Emerson, Lake & Palmer 2012 Reissues (with 5.1 DVD mixes)

windhoek

Two Emerson, Lake & Palmer albums (Emerson, Lake & Palmer and Tarkus) are being reissued in August. I know there's been some chat about this in the DVD-A/ SACD thread, but I thought I'd create a separate thread to accommodate specific discussion about it.

Although the DVDs was originally going to contain DD/ DTS 5.1 mixes, Steven Wilson announced here on Twitter that after some persuasion, the DVDs would be hi-res DVD-A discs. Unfortunately, it looks like there will be a dichotomised release. According to this SA-CD.net thread, New York based company Razor & Tie will release a CD/ DVD-A edition while the rest of us (i.e not America) will have to make do with a lo-res CD/ DVD release.

Things are still a bit muddy but sadly, it does look like Sony will release a lo-res CD/ DVD edition and allow Razor & Tie to release the hi-res CD/ DVD-A edition. In some way I suppose, it does make sense because why would Sony release a DVD-A when they rarely release SACDs!?

Last edited:

Theo Maxtible

Two Emerson, Lake & Palmer albums (Emerson, Lake & Palmer and Tarkus) are being reissued in August. I know there's been some chat about this in the DVD-A/ SACD thread, but I thought I'd create a separate thread to accommodate specific discussion about it.

Although the DVDs was originally going to contain DD/ DTS 5.1 mixes, Steven Wilson announced here on Twitter that after some persuasion, the DVDs would be hi-res DVD-A discs. Unfortunately, it looks like there will be a dichotomised release. According to this SA-CD.net thread, New York based company Razor & Tie will release a CD/ DVD-A edition while the rest of us (i.e not America) will have to make do with a lo-res CD/ DVD release.

Things are still a bit muddy but sadly, it does look like Sony will release a lo-res CD/ DVD edition and allow Razor & Tie to release the hi-res CD/ DVD-A edition. In some way I suppose, it does make sense because why would Sony release a DVD-A when they rarely release SACDs!?

A good idea, windhoek!

I'm sure I'm not mistaken, but has anyone else noticed that the main description of the Amazon UK ELP releases has changed over the last week? I reckon that when I placed my pre-order early last week, they were listed as Deluxe Editions. The whole product description was a bit lacking, but (using info given by someone on SA-CD.net), I notice like you that there are Razor & Tie versions on Amazon UK also at £29.02 each. Product description is even worse for these.

windhoek

I'm sure I'm not mistaken, but has anyone else noticed that the main description of the Amazon UK ELP releases has changed over the last week? I reckon that when I placed my pre-order early last week, they were listed as Deluxe Editions. The whole product description was a bit lacking, but (using info given by someone on SA-CD.net), I notice like you that there are Razor & Tie versions on Amazon UK also at £29.02 each. Product description is even worse for these.

I'm sure you're right Theo. Someone else says the same thing in the SA-CD.net thread and I'm sure I ordered the Deluxe boxset. It's a bit disappointing after the news that Steven Wilson talked Sony into doing the DVDs as DVD-A discs only to learn the DVD-A discs will be released primarily for the American market.

I might just cancel my pre-orders for the £9 versions and wait till after they've been released to find out what's what because as you say, information is quite patchy.

Theo Maxtible

I'm sure you're right Theo. Someone else says the same thing in the SA-CD.net thread and I'm sure I ordered the Deluxe boxset. It's a bit disappointing after the news that Steven Wilson talked Sony into doing the DVDs as DVD-A discs only to learn the DVD-A discs will be released primarily for the American market.

I might just cancel my pre-orders for the £9 versions and wait till after they've been released to find out what's what because as you say, information is quite patchy.

I'll keep an eye on my order to see what I do - but my interest is only in the DVD-A, i.e. not really in a DTS encoded DVD-V given the choice.

With regard to the DVD-As being (possibly) primarily for the US market, I wouldn't worry too much about that - as long as we can order from either Amazon UK (where they are at least listed now) - or Amazon US.

I have quite a few DVD-As that have come from the USA.

PS You've probably seen me in that SA-CD.net thread - under a different moniker!

Last edited:

overkill

Distinguished Member
This is what happened with the Floyd SACD releases with UK buyers having to buy from US sources.

Windhoek is right in that Sony (and Phillips lest we forget) were behind SACD, but I can't see why that would hinder the production section (another dept of the Fony empire) releasing a DVD-A Worldwide?

I was looking forward to hearing you guys feedback on these as I was going to get them if the response was positive! :(

Theo Maxtible

I was looking forward to hearing you guys feedback on these as I was going to get them if the response was positive! :(

Well that puts the pressure on!:D

I'm either naiive - or an eternal optimist - but after reading the Steve Wilson messages, I'm confident that these releases will go ahead as DVD-As.

windhoek

I just read Steven Wilson's Twitter posts (11th July) and he says with regard to the Razor & Tie Press Release that the albums are on Sony in Europe. This seems to me to suggest that the only difference will be the issuing label: R&T in America and Sony in Europe. I replied to one of his tweets and asked whether the Sony release will contain a DVD-A, so let's hope he can clarify things for us.

If the Sony release does contain a DVD-A, then that's great and a lot easier on the wallet!

https://twitter.com/StevenWilsonHQ

Tetlee

Distinguished Member
Only just seen this thread, reading through I've gone from "damn, cancel those then" to "oh wait, there's hope":laugh:

Will keep an eye to see what gets confirmed, really hope we don't get screwed over with a DTS or worst Dolby 5.1 if the US are receiving a proper high-res DVD-A.

Anyway thanks for the updates windhoek, keep us posted:smashin:

windhoek

Only just seen this thread, reading through I've gone from "damn, cancel those then" to "oh wait, there's hope":laugh:

Will keep an eye to see what gets confirmed, really hope we don't get screwed over with a DTS or worst Dolby 5.1 if the US are receiving a proper high-res DVD-A.

Anyway thanks for the updates windhoek, keep us posted:smashin:

I know the feeling Tetlee, it's been a roller coaster this one. I think I'm just gonna plump for the £9 Sony releases because they're £9 and even before DVD-A discs were mentioned, I intended to buy them anyway. Re-reading Wilson's tweets however, gives me hope that they will include a DVD-A disc - fingers crossed...

windhoek

PS You've probably seen me in that SA-CD.net thread - under a different moniker!

Ahh, let me guess, are you Kutyatest aka Steve? If yes, it was your latest post in that thread that gave it away when you so cordially welcomed me :smashin:

If you're not Kutyatest then I'm stumped.

Last edited:

Theo Maxtible

Ahh, let me guess, are you Kutyatest aka Steve? If yes, it was your latest post in that thread that gave it away when you so cordially welcomed me :smashin:

If you're not Kutyatest then I'm stumped.

windhoek - you guessed correctly! :smashin:

Redflecting on these forthcoming ELP releases (hoping obviously that they're DVD-As), I've realised that this was the first music that my older brother was buying all those years ago that I actually liked. I've no idea what attracted me to it - as I used to hate earlier music he was buying, like The Beatles, Monkees etc.

It also promoted a greater interest in classical/orchestral music - leading me also to the likes of Tomita.

windhoek

I just received an email saying my order (ELP & Tarkus) has been dispatched :clap:

overkill

Distinguished Member
We can expect feedback soon then guys? ;) The Burning Shed has completely sold out of the new ELP CD/DVD-A's! :rolleyes:

Theo Maxtible

We can expect feedback soon then guys? ;) The Burning Shed has completely sold out of the new ELP CD/DVD-A's! :rolleyes:

Yes - mine have now been despatched also. First thing I noticed yesterday was the appearance of a pending transaction on my credit card for £19.00. I then put two and two together, and figured that my pre-order would move to "being prepared for dispatch" status.

Yes, overkill - I think you can expect some feedback soon. You're puting me under pressure!:D Seriously though, I can't imagine that these new releases won't sound significantly better than my Castle-label ELP CDs.

I can't imagine why they needed to be 3-disc releases, but still am surprised at how relatively cheap they are. Amazing value for money (hopefully).

windhoek

Mine have just arrived but I won't have time to play them until tonight. Yes they are DVD-A. Triple disc sets in 4 way fold out digipacks. For £9 an absolute bargain.

Last edited:

windhoek

Mine have just arrived but I won't have time to play them until tonight. Yes they are DVD-A. Triple disc sets in 4 way fold out digipacks. For £9 an absolute bargain.

Snap! :)

Theo Maxtible

I'm busy at work (just taking a few moments off to do this post!) - wondering if my ELP DVD-As have arrived at home.

I wonder if I'll be able to listen to any tonight when I get in? It's my wife's birthday today - so it may prove tricky!

overkill

Distinguished Member
I'm busy at work (just taking a few moments off to do this post!) - wondering if my ELP DVD-As have arrived at home.

I wonder if I'll be able to listen to any tonight when I get in? It's my wife's birthday today - so it may prove tricky!
I think we can all wait for feedback - to avoid marital conflict. :D

Tetlee

Distinguished Member
Strange, mine didn't arrive yet(despatched the same time as everyone elses here), good old random Royal Mail:rolleyes:

Should have them tomorrow I guess, will be interested in opinions in the mean time. Good to hear they are indeed DVD-A's anyway:)

windhoek

I just listened to ELP and notwithstanding the fact that I've never heard it before (or Tarkus), the SQ is fantastic as you'd expect from Steven Wilson. There were a few times during track two I could hear distortion when high notes were played on the piano, but otherwise it was great, as is the surround mix.

The 2 CD/ DVD-A package contains so much material that it's unquestionably one of the best bang for buck buys ever!

overkill

Distinguished Member
I just listened to ELP and notwithstanding the fact that I've never heard it before (or Tarkus), the SQ is fantastic as you'd expect from Steven Wilson. There were a few times during track two I could hear distortion when high notes were played on the piano, but otherwise it was great, as is the surround mix.

The 2 CD/ DVD-A package contains so much material that it's unquestionably one of the best bang for buck buys ever!
You've never heard ELP or Tarkus before! :eek: Well done for taking the plunge - and thanks for the feedback. :smashin:

Waiting to hear from Theo now as he's a fan he'll be able to compare and contrast as well as comment on the SQ.

Theo Maxtible

You've never heard ELP or Tarkus before! :eek: Well done for taking the plunge - and thanks for the feedback. :smashin:

Waiting to hear from Theo now as he's a fan he'll be able to compare and contrast as well as comment on the SQ.

Blimey - I must be as shocked as you, overkill.

I'm impressed at windhoek also - I mean, I wouldn't call this mainstream music! Good on you, windhoek! :smashin:

I'm at home now, and spending quality time with my wife!:devil: Seriously, she's on the phone right now, so I've got a few minutes (read half an hour) free! My ELP DVD-As did not arrive today, so I'll have to wait and see if they turn up tomorrow or whenever. Admittedly, as always, I opt for the Amazon Super Saver delivery option - I'm just not someone that has to have things quickly.

I feel that you've paid me a compliment, overkill - that's nice of you. :)

You might have to wait a bit longer for my feedback on these ELP releases, only as I'm due to go away for three weeks from Saturday. Yes, I'm definately a fan of ELP - and I've looked forward to these releases enormously. I like to think that I can be objective and critical if necessary, and I've never wanted to appear "anti-vinyl" as such. I remember playing these LPs (from original) over and over, and absolutely loving them. It was my older brother that bought them - me being just slightly too young at that time - but recording the LPs onto a Grunding reel-to-reel tape recorder and taking them to school to play at some sort of "disco/party" evening. No other kids were minutely interested, and my entire audience consisted of the lab technician called Mr. Adams - a wonderful chap - who stayed with me the whole time. Perhaps I just appeared an unbalanced child!? This was SE London in the early 70s for me.

Unfortunately - sort of - I no longer have access to the original LPs, but I do remember these being poor pressings. I also think, and I'm no exception, that it's very difficult for us to store a lot of audio memories in our brains. OK, perhaps if something was particularly dire - or the opposite - but not a lot of the subtelties. Pity.

I'll do my best to give an objective report when I'm able to. You give me confidence, windhoek, that the 40+ year wait will have been worth it. Just like the King Crimson "In The Court Of The Crimson King" DVD-A.

Thanks all.

Last edited:

windhoek

I'd heard of them of course, but somehow hadn't ever heard them. Now that I've got an excellent surround sound setup (especially excellent for music) , I'll try just about anything in 5.1. I'm glad I went for the ELP releases because after listening to it earlier, I know I'll be playing it again. :smashin:

The latest video from AVForums

Guardians of the Galaxy Xmas Special, Strange World, Bones and All, and Cabinet of Dr Caligari in 4K
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Full fat HDMI teeshirts

Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom