EMERGENCY World Cup PROJECT

DuWolfy

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi,
Suddenly been nominated to host the world cup from my garden so thought id splash out for a projector for the garden for the guests to enjoy.

Budget £1000

Would love to incorporate Sky3D into it as each of the guests (20+) are prepared to front the cash for glasses if I could get an appropriate projector.

Must Haves

1) Projector
2) Screen
3) Sky Compatible (Min 1 HDMI Port)

Must Nots

1) Be over £1000 for Projector
2) Wife find out

Would love to have

1) SKY3D compatible

Much appriciated any help with this rush job. Back in a couple hours , got buy a marquee.

P.S. dont volunteer to do anything when your at a wedding and slightly inebriated ><

There's no world cup games on sky sports so you won't be needing 3D unless you are talking for future Premiership games that will be shown in 3d.

The w/c games are in hd on BBCHD and ITVHD.

An Optoma HD600x is £499 so that will do for the projector.

Screen will depend on how big you want to go but free standing screens are expensive and will cost another £500-£1000 depending on size.You will need speakers and amplifier for the sound unless you already have that covered.

Also as the games are on in the afternoon and early/mid evening it really won't be dark enough to see the picture on the screen anyway as it don't get dark enough till around 10pm.

I think you need to think again pal.

Original plan was using my current setup whch was

Samsung 46" LCD
Onkyo 607 Amp
Tannoy Arena Lite 7.1 Setup
Tannoy 500w Sub

I'll have a look @ that projector as the marquee im using is big enough to have an olde army heavy canvas 3 sided tent erected inside to cast a dark shadow were I intend to have the Screen erected.

Good point about broadcasting in normal HD, but future proofing is always handy if the option is available.

Yikes, just rememberd .. need some beer bins

You should be Ok if you can fit up some sort of tent within a tent to make it dark enough.:)

And as far as the screen goes you could maybe make your own out of a big sheet of 54" deep x 8-10ft wide blackout cloth.

You could either stretch it over a frame or simply rig it up over a couple of poles.Either way that should only cost £20-£30.

Blackout Lining - Dunelm Mill

i have an hd ready hp035 projector and an 88" screen if interesed. ceiling or wall mountable

One other point have you thought how you are going to get the video signal from your SKY HD box to the projector (assuming that is in the house).

If the distance is more than 10mtrs you may find the signal will not pass without deterioration/loss of signal.

You can run a longer length but would need a splitter amplifier to go up to 15mtrs/20mtrs.Any longer and i doubt you will get a picture.

Audio will also be a problem as you will either need very long speaker cables or if sighting the amp in the tent will need a long optical lead to connect to the Sky box.

Unfortunately the 600x doesnt support Sky3D currently

3D Compatibility
The 3D features of the HD600X can only be used with compatible 3D content and do not support 3D TV broadcast systems, including the 3D SKY service in the UK, or 3D Bluray. Support for these applications may be added in future using additional hardware

Bugger !!!

We have the Sky cable from the dish to the rear of the house, the Sky box can sit just outside the window and and reach the Amp via a 2m HDMI cable which itself will connect to the project via a 4m cable. So the distance isnt that great.
The marquee would be facing down the garden as the sun sets from that direction, but extra food for thought

Much easier to watch indoors, especially as the weather doesn't look too good for Saturday! :D

Just do what I'm doing - hosting as you are - have a BBQ outside in the afternoon, then when the footie is starting just move inside! Escpecially worth doing as the weather isn't looking great....
Still worth getting projector for it, I have my HD20 projecting about a 130" picture on the wall, going to be awesome! Come on ENGLAND!

Just do what I'm doing - hosting as you are - have a BBQ outside in the afternoon, then when the footie is starting just move inside! Escpecially worth doing as the weather isn't looking great....
Still worth getting projector for it, I have my HD20 projecting about a 130" picture on the wall, going to be awesome! Come on ENGLAND!

Exactly what I am doing mate Infocus X9 and 120" screen inside, BBQ from 5 outside, penalty shoot out girls v boys at half time and then SINGSTAR on the PJ after(just bought 3 lions for it). If it goes on long enough then Lets dance on WII when nobody can stand up anyway :)

Exactly what I am doing mate Infocus X9 and 120" screen inside, BBQ from 5 outside, penalty shoot out girls v boys at half time and then SINGSTAR on the PJ after(just bought 3 lions for it). If it goes on long enough then Lets dance on WII when nobody can stand up anyway :)

Can i come? Sounds like a right blast! :rotfl: I've planned on putting my H5360 outside for the Algeria game. I actually tested it on Wednesday night using the last England game recorded in HD and i was surprised by the brightness and contrast of the picture at 7:30pm it was pretty decent. Just test it first lads!!!

Enjoy the game too:smashin:

A six foot wide blackout blind from B&Q costs maybe £20, you just need a rig of some sort to mount it and you're away. Don't economise by going for non-blackout.

For daytime viewing, if you have a room with a large window without any divides facing your garden I suppose you could try rigging a translucent shower curtain across the window, blackening all other windows or light sources in the room and setting the projector up in the room pointing at the window in reverse so giving a reverse projection when viewed from outside. No idea how well that would work but might be a last resort if daytime viewing isn't good enough.

Dave

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom