1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Emergency help needed!!!!!

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Speakers' started by shodan, Oct 16, 2002.

1. shodan

shodan
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,405
    Hi guys,

I need help (apparantly)!! Going round to a freinds house tonight as he has one of these Sony Pascal speaker setups and he want's me to try and sort it out as he isn't happy with it. Trouble is, I've never been near one before.

He has a SONY DVD725 going to 6ch input on a pro logic amp to give him D.D. and from the amp one lead to the input on the sub and the other speakers from the amp too.

Is this the best way of doing it?
    I know there is a way where all or some (?) of the speakers are plugged into the Subwoofer and the sub is plugged into something????

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Regards
    John

2. James45

James45
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    some subs offer hi-level distribution for speakers although direct connection to the amp is best.
    It sounds like it's set up correctly already. what's he not happy about?

3. shodan

shodan
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,405
    Hi James,

He isn't happy because there is hardly any bass unless everything is turned up full!
    +5db on the DVD player settings and the dial on the sub (whatever it does) has to be turned right round to the right and there is just no oomph or slam or anything.
    Hi room is about 10'x10' so it's small and this setup should be fine for it.
    I think he tried it before with the other speakers plugged into the sub (I seem to remember) and he said it sounded better but there was a constant hum/buzz from the sub......

Thanks
    John

4. James45

James45
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    try moving the sub around, it should be somewhere near the front speakers but a sub's location (in relation to the room it's in) is critical to getting the best from it. It can take ages to get the sub's position just right. I heard a pascal system in a similar sized room and it had a fair bit of oomph, not particularly clean but fair enough.

5. Jase

Jase

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +856
    Might be worth checking the speaker setup in the dvd player menu, see what he´s got them set as. Best to set them all to small and have all the bass going to the sub. Probably find you´ll have to adjust speaker delays, channel levels etc as well.

I´d say he should just leave each speaker connected to the amp as normal, rather than route them all through the sub (unless this is specificly required for their proper setup).

6. shodan

shodan
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,405
    Thanks guys,

Thanks for all the help on this one!

Unfortunatley, as I remember the lead from the amp to the sub was relatively short but I'll see what I can do about moving it around.... And I told him ages ago to set the speakers to Small and make sure all the bass goes to the sub.....

We'll see when I get there, he probably has it all plugged into the microwave....

I'll let you guys nkow how I get on so stay tuned and if you think of anything else, please let me know!!!!!!

Thanks again
    John