Emergency: Help for plasma wall mount install required

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Buying & Building' started by MrJubbly, May 4, 2007.

1. MrJubbly

MrJubbly
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi,

Firstly apologies if this is not the correct board to post on. Wasn't sure if it should be here, the DIY board, or elsewhere. Anyway here goes....

Basically my wife decided that we should start to decorate our lounge recently and some of the work we have been doing has meant that we are going to need a fair bit of re-plastering doing.

Presently we haven't got a flat screen TV, but my wife has always said that if/when we get one, she would like it wall mounted. In view of this, and the state of our lounge now, we've decided that now would be an ideal time to do the prep work for a wall mounted screen, that we'll get until a later date. The problem is I have very limited time to work in, so I'm after some quick advice please, as follows:

- I'm not sure at this stage what cable runs I'm going to want running to and from my amp and the screen so I want to lay a conduit that's going to have enough room to manoeuvre cable through. I reckon I'd want something about 5" x 2" (W x D) that I will run to a suitable length. I've been looking around and I can't seem to find anything that fits the bill. Am I missing something here? I'm of the opinion now that I'm better off creating something myself. At the moment I'm thinking using some wood beading sandwiched between some ply to form a box which I can lay in the plaster/brickwork. Does this sound reasonable?

- Cable inlet/outlet presentation. As I'm not sure what cabling I'm going to have running behind the wall yet there's no point in having any form of sockets (not that I'm a lover of these anyway) for connecting Amp and TV. So what's available that would offer a more 'open' solution. Again not been able to find anything so I'm thinking that I use a an electrical sockets with the bottom cut out for the top of the cable run, and the top cut out for the bottom of the run. I could then use a blanking plate with a 'letterbox' cut out to make things look tidy if needs be. Does this sound reasonable?

- The next problems is where do I place the cable inlet/outlet in order for it to be hidden behind the TV? The one for the Amp will be get hidden, for sure, ehind my cabinet. For the TV though I'm working with the unknown. I guess positioning depends on the size of the screen and the mount being used, both of which don't exist yet. I view of this, is there any sort of 'rule' I can apply here that will help me position the outlet/inlet accordingly? From looking around there appear to be a lot of generic mounts that can be used to mount a 42"/50" plasma (which is what I'd be in the market for). Would I be better off getting one of these now to work with or is this too much o a gamble until I know what screen we're getting?

- I'm assuming a standard wall (undercoat plaster on breezeblock) will be
    sufficient to hold a 50" plasma?

Any help, suggestion, etc gratefully appreciated.

Cheers,

Jubbly

2. kdog

kdog

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +61
    Hi MrJubbly,

First things first, fantastic username :D

Right lets get on,

1. B&Q do loads of plastic conduit, if you can't find the right size for the amount of cable you require, use two :thumbsup:.

2. Blanking plate/Letterbox solution sounds perfect, see Brogans thread in the Home cinema gallery, I nicked his idea :smashin:.

3. Don't cut any inlet/outlet holes until you have the TV. You will have to take measurements from the unit itself as all TV's differ, and it depends what cables you are connecting with. You might have all the HD, component stuff more to the right and the PC composite stuff to left or vice versa?

Hope this helps,

Cheers :thumbsup:

3. MrJubbly

MrJubbly
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for the replay kdog.

In the I went to a B&Q warehouse and got exactly what I wanted. For face plates I found some 'Grid Plates' which fit a standard 2 gang socket box, This has four neat cut outs which should take the cables I intend to run.

I've taken a best guess on the postion of the inlet/outlet that will go behind the screen. Hopefully this will be right when the time comes to get the screen.

Cheers,

Jubbly