• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

Emergency Charge without power Ipad 2

peebly

Established Member
thepolarbear said:
Is there something that you can get to do this.

I often fly more than 20 hours which means over 10h battery life

Could you not ask the pilot if you could plug it into the cigarette lighter in the cockpit, only kidding.

Like these you mean, this one is for an iPhone but there are others that should work with an iPad.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Griffin-TuneJuice-6242-TJ3-Battery-Charger/dp/B00236QH6K

Some iPad ones.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/New-Trent-Dual-port-IMP50D-Blackberry/sim/B004AM1OK4/2/ref=pd_cp_ce_sexpl

Sent from my iPad using AVForums

Last edited:

tvbox

Distinguished Member
Use the full 10h battery life then sleep off the remaining 10h of the flight!

celsius

Established Member
10 hours battery life is more than enough for any long haul flight.

I have tried some of the external batteries for iphone/ipad and none of them is satisfactory.
The most you can get out of it is a few hours (not more than 5).

I would not recommend getting one of this.

surfymark

Established Member
I've got one of these: TeckNet iEP180 1900mAH Mobile External Battery For All iPhone/iPod - Black (Please check the Product Description before ordering): Amazon.co.uk: Computers & Accessories

It works really well with an iPod Touch, iPhone and my iPad 1. Not at all bad for a tenner although you may struggle to get 10 hours. Prob 5 at most I would say.

There are several others you can get that offer twice this but for more money. If it was me, I would get one of these and try it, you can always send it back. If it works ok, you could get a second. The two combined should last the required 10 hours I would say.

HTH
M

StuartJB

Established Member
thepolarbear said:
Is there something that you can get to do this.

I often fly more than 20 hours which means over 10h battery life

A lot of the ones quoted here already are designed for the iPhone. Although they may charge an iPad, they will do it rather slowly and won't give you a full charge.

You really need to be looking at more powerful ones which can charge with the higher iPad power requirements. I looked at a few and settled on http://www.proporta.com/F02/PPF02P0...m_medium=banner&utm_campaign=turbocharger5000 which has

The main reason I settled on it compared to other ones such as Hypermac, was there was a discount code available so the price was around £27 compared to over £40, the normal kind of price for a higher power battery. Hypermac do batteries of varying size and power, some have the high power output for an iPad.

I haven't tested the high power port on my iPad yet, but it works on the iPhone. It has 2 USB ports, both work on an iPhone and one is labelled as high power for use with an iPad.

The cables supplied are pretty poor though and I've read recent reviews from others saying they are problematic, as mine are. I use my original Apple cables though, and it works fine. The original proporta ones now are only used to recharge the battery itself.

The battery is surprisingly light and quite small, I was expecting something heavier.

TechnoMusic

Established Member
have you guys actually tried those you suggest?

the technet 5000 mah actually = proporta 5000mah, dual charger, same design, different brand
it said 5000 mah but they only give ard 30% charge
Sparq on the other hand 6000 mah but give 70% charge!
the hyperemic dual portable is even worse, doesn't charge with the apple USB, I manage to charge with a charge only cable, but it only give like 20% charge

hyper Mac got some higher capacity one, you should be looking at those but not the portable one

qwerty321

Distinguished Member

StuartJB

Established Member
TechnoMusic said:
have you guys actually tried those you suggest?

the technet 5000 mah actually = proporta 5000mah, dual charger, same design, different brand
it said 5000 mah but they only give ard 30% charge
Sparq on the other hand 6000 mah but give 70% charge!
the hyperemic dual portable is even worse, doesn't charge with the apple USB, I manage to charge with a charge only cable, but it only give like 20% charge

hyper Mac got some higher capacity one, you should be looking at those but not the portable one

Yes. I got the Proporta (which is a rebranded Chinese one as it's available under different disguises) primarily for an iPhone but have tested it on an iPad 2.

I charged it up 2 weeks ago and plugged it into my iPad 2 yesterday when it was showing 10% left. I carried on using the iPad whilst leaving it connected in the house, mostly on the Internet and when the Proporta was bled dry it was on 43% after nearly 3 1/2 hours use. I got over 30% charge PLUS over 3 hours use.

This is only an approximate test as different people run different things with different power usage.

I then recharged the Proporta, which isn't a quick task, and then left it to charge the iPad 2 whilst at work. It started at about 20% and when I got home the Proporta was on empty and the iPad 2 showed 70% so I got around 50% charge.

I got it mostly for the iPhone and apart from the rubbish leads, which I don't use, was a reasonable investment for the £27 which I paid for it.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 8K TV dead? Philips OLED+907, Pioneer LX505 AVR plus B&W 700 S3 Reviews & Visit + AV/HiFi News
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom