• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

Embedded images in AVF - copyright considerations?

• Thread starter Deleted member 30535
  • Start date
D

Deleted member 30535

The company I work for was recently contacted by Getty Images who informed us that we had displayed one of their images on our company web site without a licence to do so, and to cough up over £900 for the privilege of doing so.

When I examined the image in their letter, two things became apparent:
(1) The image was no longer on our website, but more worryingly,
(2) Our web site was using syndicated and managed content being served up through a well respected third party company on behalf of a US software company, with offices in the UK. We have no control over the content, it's managed by the Software company.

We responded to Getty to inform of this fact and gave them the details of both the software company (we're a partner of theirs) and the content manager. We thought that would be the end of it. But no.

Getty responded to say that we are responsible for all images displayed on our site even if it is served up by a third party. They offered us a 15% discount on the licence fee to settle the matter.

Other than the second word being "off", the implications for this is quite astounding.

Even though a third party served up a non-licensed image through our web page, we're still liable for a licence.

In theory this means that AVF's policy of allowing linked images to say Photobucket etc, could open them up to a claim like we had from Getty Images.

Is this SOPA by the back door? :eek:

IronGiant

I'll bring this to Stuart's attention, thanks Bob :thumbsup:

aVdub

Banned
How pleasing to know that a few are amassing so many images and perhaps not to preserve them, but to make another $ :thumbsdow

The latest video from AVForums

CES 2023 Round Up: New TV Lineups for 2023 from LG, Samsung, Panasonic, Hisense & TCL
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom