Emails on new phone

Discussion in 'Mobile Phones Forum' started by Coz, Aug 17, 2018.

Tags:
  1. Coz

Coz

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    Would my Gmail emails appear on a new phone? Would I need to download them or sync them? And if I deleted them off my old phone, would they still be on my new phone? If I removed my Gmail account on my old phone, would I still have it on my new phone?
    Thank in advance.

2. dms

dms

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +211
    Gmail e-mail is usually stored on gmail servers and not your phone. To test this log into your gmail account on their website (www.gmail.com) and you will see your messages there... if they are not then this won't apply.

So that means, yes, you should be able to set up gmail on your new phone and access your messages. To delete them off your old phone the easy way is just delete the account as your suggest. Personally I'd wipe the old phone completely if you are going to give it to anyone else.

3. Coz

Coz

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    Thanks. If I go to the website to see if they are there, should there only be the ones there that I currently have on my phone in gmail? It won't list all the ones I've deleted will it? Can't do with all those being put onto my new phone, there would be hundreds

4. LJx

LJx

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +451
    The phone usually just gets the ones in the inbox unless you tell it to fetch older ones from the archive etc

5. Crafty

Crafty

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +706
    Assuming that you are using the gmail app your emails aren't downloaded to the phone as such - they are just viewed from the server - so everything should be visible unless you deleted it - in which case it won't appear anywhere. As someone said you should be able to switch between www.gmail.com and your phone and see the exact same emails.

What you should do with your old phone is to do a factory reset before selling it / giving it to someone else. This will do is remove absolutely everything you've ever put on the phone - photos, documents, passwords, browser history etc all gets removed.

6. Coz

Coz

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    Thank you all.

I think I must be using the gmail app, as I access my mail by pressing the gmail icon inmy apps. I don't go to the website to access them.

Thanks for the tip about doing a factory reset. I will probably do that even if I keep the phone incase it conks out before I have a chance to wipe it. I have all my photos etc on the SD card but I will be using a bigger capacity SD card with my new phone, so I'll have to back everything up on the laptop before transferring it onto my new SD card for my new phone. Unless there is another way of doing it?

7. Crafty

Crafty

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +706
    Yes, take the card out of the phone before doing the reset. If you wanted double backups (because, why not) let the old phone sync with google photos or whatever other cloud storage you might have (e.g. Samsung give space away with their phones, Microsoft give space away too).

8. Coz

Coz

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    Thanks Crafty. I already have my photos backed up on Google photos so they are backed up as I take them. But I will also back all my photo folders up on the laptop and then transfer them as they are to my new phone. But them will they appear in Google photos twice??

9. Coz

Coz

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    I know I won't be able to back up my texts and I'm not sure about my contacts as I need to find out where they're stored.

10. limegreenzx

limegreenzx
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +337
    There are plenty of apps that will backup SMS text, either as SMS clients such as "Facebook Messenger" or as a utility such as " SMS Backup and Restore".
    Contacts cans be checked by looking at what accounts are used in the contacts app. The chances are they are synced to Google, just check on a PC with Gmail.

11. Coz

Coz

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    Thanks, I will see if I can fit the SMS app on this phone.
    I think my contacts are stored on my phone, so I will just send them all to my sim card and then send them all to my new phone.

12. limegreenzx

limegreenzx
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +337
    Why not sync them to an online account?
    What happens if you lose your phone or it's destroyed, how would you retrieve your contacts?
    You seem to be making things more difficult for yourself.

13. Coz

Coz

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    I'm not really sure how to sync or how to find out if it's synced to Google. Do I go to contacts.. settings.. contacts.. accounts.. Google? It shows my email address and the date it was last synced. Does that mean my contacts are synced with Google? When I get my new phone, how do I get them from Google onto it?

14. Steven

Steven
    Senior Moderator

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6,618
    Clicking into that will show what you have selected to sync with Google and the last sync date. So if contacts is selected, then yes
    Login to Google on your new Android phone

15. Coz

Coz

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    Thanks Steven.