email services

Mep

I don't want to rely on my ISP for an email address and don't really want a Hotmail (or similar) address......could somebody please recommend a service where you can get an email address in the form of '[email protected]' or something like that.

cheers people

WibXL

mep said:
I don't want to rely on my ISP for an email address and don't really want a Hotmail (or similar) address......could somebody please recommend a service where you can get an email address in the form of '[email protected]' or something like that.

cheers people
You'd probably be best off going to somewhere like easily and buying yourself a domain name. It costs £9.99 for two years if you want a .co.uk and then you can either have email sent to your domain name and then forwarded on to your isp (I do this and it works well) or pay a bit more for email services from the company you sign up with.

The Dude

Distinguished Member
If you're just after a better adress, you could always register a .com domain with your chosen name, then use mail forwarding (setup as part of the domain hosting) to send everything from @yourname.com on to your existing email account.. :) Uk2.net are a good place to start looking..

Bl4ckGryph0n

Distinguished Member
I use orchard hosting http://www.orchardhosting.co.uk and have been with them for the last 4 years or so....To get you going will cost you £17.59 including a domain name, e-mail hosting and web-hosting...From there on it will be £9.99 for orchard hosting plus the costs for the domain name which depends on what extension you have choosen....Which is what something like another £2.50 per year....

So just logon, choose which domain you want and things can start happening today....

Oh and then when you to pickup you mail using outlook or outlook express for example you just simply select pop3 and set the server addresses to mail.surname.com for example (that depends on who hosts it...).

Personally I have not yet come across a cheaper service that includes buying the domain name and hosting it.....

mjn

Distinguished Member
Agree with what already been said, plus you have the advantage of creating new e-mail addresses when you sign up for mailing list, and you can see who sold your address to spammers.

HMHB

Distinguished Member
I've recently done a similar thing with 1&1 and got myself a hosted domain with lots of email addresses. I don't want to have to rely on NTL !

Mep

went for easily as it sounded.....well......easy really :) only cost about £20 for 2 years domain name and one years email with web access too.

Thanks again for all the advice