1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Email replies from Denon UK about the DVD2800MKII

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by Dimmy, Jul 8, 2003.

1. Dimmy

Dimmy
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Over the past few days I've sent denon a number of emails questioning them about the possibility of upgrading the player in question to support Pure PAL Progressive picture outputs via their component video outputs.

This involved asking them if any "Official" Denon firmware existed aswell as their viewpoint on multi-region upgrades and the necessity of releasing the product with a Progressive Scan Specification if it's not accessible to the people buying it.

I received the following Two email replies from them.

Hopefully this can clarify the situation with this DVD player somewhat (maybe clear it's name).

Email One:

Dear Sir

"Thank you for your e-mail regarding Denon products.

The DVD-2800II has had great reviews in the Hi-Fi press
    so we were disappointed to hear that you were having problems, firstly
    Denon UK does not support or get involved with Multi-region Issues we
    can only sell and support Region 2 units. The Denon DVD-2900 has just
    realised as a the first Japanese built Region 2 unit which will output
    PAL Pure Progressive picture. We are hoping that there will be an
    upgrade available for the DVD-2800II which will give a PAL Pure
    Progressive Signal out, it is to early to say when this will come into
    effect but Denon Japan are working on this.

Regards

Hayden Laboratories"

I'm guessing the person who wrote that doesn't speak fluent english or was in a bit of a rush. To this I replied with questions of the idiocy of releasing a player who's specs we're not able to access without losing all support from the manufacturer themselves.

Email Number Two:

"Thank you for your e-mail regarding Denon Products.

Denon can only support Region 2 playback in the UK as set out by the
    DVD-Forum when DVD was born, the NTSC side of the product is for
    the following reason : If you put a Region 2(Pal disc) into the DVD-2800II
    then press the NTSC button on the remote it will convert the PAL signal
    into a NTSC Pure Progressive signal via Component video output, the NTSC
    has no reference to Region 1 playback which Denon UK does not get involved
    with.

Regards

Keith Pradey
    Product Support for the Consumer Division"

So there you have it. I personally had absolutely no idea the Denon players were capable of the PAL/NTSC Pseudo PAL progressive function.

But at least this is suffice explanation to encourage people to do exactly what I advised in the first place - leave the firmware alone (and if you absolutely refuse not to - don't be so shocked when you ruin your player).

2. Apnomis

Apnomis

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +25
    That's all well and good for people faithful to Region 2.

But I like many people refuse to be fobbed of with sub-standard DVD realises while Region 1 discs get extra content, in terms of better extra features and indeed DTS or 6.1 soundtracks.

I don't get R1 for the price or to get films before the realise date. I personally hate the region coding idea. If movie houses spent the same amount of time and effort on their region 2 realises then I'll happily get a region 2 only player.

But until then, I'll go with the region that gives me best value for money...

(Oh and sometimes upgrading firmware can work a treat if you are willing to take the risk)

3. Dimmy

Dimmy
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Yeah I know it can I've seen Denon players that've had firmware upgraded successfully & they work beautifully.

In all fairness to Denon, if it's R1 DVD content you're after then buy a DVD player that you can remote hack. Denon - afterall - are only advertising a Region 2 capable player.

I'll agree with you that the whole idea of Region Coding is pathetic (RCE - don't Universal have anything better to do?).

The thing is the DVD distributers know that if people really want to get around Region Coding DVDs then there's absolutely nothing they can do to stop them.

4. Apnomis

Apnomis

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +25
    If this post is about getting at Denon players for problems after they have been "upgraded" then I absolutely agree with you!

Denon produce a fine R2 machine that is advertised as such, don't start calling their brand for having lots of bugs and problems if you are referring to to a firmware version that has been written by some "script kiddy".

If you decide to update your firmware be very careful which one you use. If your player malfunctions afterwards then try and find the original firmware, don't start calling Denon.

Indeed if you buy a pre-updated multi-region player from a shop, complain about the shop for using a poor qualiy firmware and not complaining about Denon for not doing properly something it was never advertised or designed as doing in the first place!

5. Dimmy

Dimmy
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    That's my point - this is no doubt an ongoing argument that's been on the forums for quite a while and I've been in Denon's corner...

It's clear that Denon themselves haven't released official firmware for the upgrades people are wanting and it's for this reason that my firmware sure as hell isn't going to get fiddled with until they do release it.

I've been trying to encourage people to do the same and not to shake a stick at Denon if they go against the manufacturer's advice and attempt to update their players with unnofficial firmware unsuccessfully.

Yet most people still insist it's all Denon's fault. Shame on them...

6. Apnomis

Apnomis

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +25
    Point taken and agreed Dimmy.

Although as someone who has sucessfully updated their 2800II firmware with no problems at all, I get the best of both worlds :D

7. Dimmy

Dimmy
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Then lucky you are young Apnomis.

8. gringottsdirect

gringottsdirect

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +27
    The notion that unofficial firmware has been sourced from Lone Gunmen characters is very :rotfl:
    The Pal-Progressive and Multi-Region firmware upgrades are from Denon, they only claim innocence to pay lip service to the DVD Forum.

9. Dimmy

Dimmy
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Interesting viewpoint.

You know Tony Blair's not a human?

10. malimarek

malimarek

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Can I get any help then to get my player back to the original stage (meaning R2 original firmware). Where can I download original firmaware. Denon should maybe put it on their website. Regards. Marek

11. kelvin

kelvin

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +45
    Doing this would be a sign to people that modifying your firmware is "ok" with Denon - not a line that the technical guys at Denon are keen to push I'm sure ;) :)

K.