Email issues - any help much appreciated

Reaction score
Just lately when i click on my "get mail" tab, it seems an age for my mail to check if i have any incoming, but more frequently & more annoying is i now keep getting a pop up box asking me to confirm my password for my mail account, is this a problem with my NTL account or my Mail account, strange thing is, when i go to my Virginmedia account & sign in, my mail seems to work fine for a few hours????:lease:

Whilst i'm on thew subject of a right royal pain in the butt, what's with Safari, so annoying when it can't open a page & asks you to report a bug, i feel like ripping my hair out at times, Firefox on the other hand works perfectly every time - go figure??

Its Virgin - I haven't had any email for 9 days now. They've been doing an internal database migration over the past couple of weeks and some of us have been lost in the move. They've been promising mine would be fixed since Tuesday...

You need to phone Tech Support 09062121111 they'll refund the cost because its their problem.

Thanks for that, fortunately i haven't lost mine but it's a compete pain keep typing in my password everytime just to receive any emails, hope they get it sorted soon........

I also get this with Mail on my Yahoo! account, drives me mad. I have reset the password in my keychain, but that only seems to fix it temporarily. I am also getting emails stuck in the outbox lately. Mail isn't Apple's best application...

I think most of it can be put down to 'network issues'. Oddly it used to crash a few times a day until a week or so ago now its fairly stable.

Apple's worst app? Don't get me started: iDVD & iCal head the list for me.

According to Apple support forums this a definately a Mail bug, apparently the work around is to install a copy from another mac, fine if you have another mac but has anyone here been able to solve this problem as i'm still having problems with my Mail..:lease:

Link here -http://discussions.apple.com/thread.jspa?threadID=1432009&tstart=0

Hi All
Not sure if this is same issue or local to Macbook, Mail suddenly hangs, then closes having not opened up inbox (i.e see usual view of mail boxes etc on right, but no email messages. No arrow beneath it in dock, Work around seems to be to disconnect from wireless network and then click on mail icon, beach ball awhile, mail opens, reconnect to network (wifi). Happens at work/home so assume machine and not network issue.

More recently machine suddenly becomes sluggish, a bit like windows machines can be, with a seeming backlog of commands to implement. Force quitting some applications unhelpful, restarting system baulks as "application still open" tho absent dock arrow suggested they aren't/haven't opened. Of late machine freezes, can't get dock to open etc. Some background process going on as hear drive/fan become noisey and machine heats up. Restart leads eventually to beach ball, had to eventually remove battery.
Recent changes, upgraded HD 6 weeks ago, all seemed well. Installed Microsoft office 08 (needed Excel pivot table function, suppose could have done without the rest). Other thing I've noted is TC taking an eternity and that despite only ~ 80Gb this machine, TC has used ~ 360 as backup (thought it was incremental). Did hear somewhere and can't find again that it may back up Aperture library anew each time - not sure if true and/or this is a side issue.
Anyhow, hope I haven't muddied this thread for what may be a machine specific problem, as opposed to what seems a generic one. OnyX system tidy up produced no resolution(confess not knowing why irt should, but only maintenance programme I know of). Any help gratefully received.

When it appears unresponsive run Activity Monitor and look at what is grabbing most of the CPU. How much RAM do you have? It may be swapping out to disk. Other possible causes (though unlikely) are running the automatic maintenance scripts.

I get an almost complete hang every day but its down to the Browseback app I have installed, presumably archiving.

TC is incremental - it will fill the available space until it expires and then starts to delete the oldest data first.

Tenex, thanks as ever, will give it a go. Really odd behaviour, flawless performance for 18 months and then this. There is definitely some background process hogging the CPU, e.g. open applications in Finder, takes ~ 15+seconds to populate the amount of memory used per application. Mention it as an example of the tardiness of the machine.

Another thing that will generally slow down your Mac will be a large number of Desktop items - even if its only one folder but it has many files within. Its best to create an alias on the desktop to any folders you would otherwise use frequently eg. I use one folder for any PDFs that get downloaded and an alias on the desktop allows me to drag and drop any items away quickly and easily.

BTW setting Finder to report the size of all items will slow you down (I do it too ;) ). You can switch it off if desired. Also get rid of any Dashboard items you haven't used this week and swap them for any menu bar alts eg. iStat Pro with iStat menus.

There are a few good articles on MacWorld for general routines to keep your Mac healthy but I'd recommend clicking the system management advice link in my signature and have it all explained to you in about 10 mins :)

HTH

Another thing that will generally slow down your Mac will be a large number of Desktop items - even if its only one folder but it has many files within. Its best to create an alias on the desktop to any folders you would otherwise use frequently eg. I use one folder for any PDFs that get downloaded and an alias on the desktop allows me to drag and drop any items away quickly and easily.

BTW setting Finder to report the size of all items will slow you down (I do it too ;) ). You can switch it off if desired. Also get rid of any Dashboard items you haven't used this week and swap them for any menu bar alts eg. iStat Pro with iStat menus.

There are a few good articles on MacWorld for general routines to keep your Mac healthy but I'd recommend clicking the system management advice link in my signature and have it all explained to you in about 10 mins :)

HTH

I had issues with this a few months back where hardly any e-mails were getting through with our 20mg Virgin account. There didnt seem to be any reason for it, however I eventually changed the security level of the e-mail to the lowest and it seemed to work.

I've never elevated the security settings on my Virgin email but as I said elsewhere Mail would crash a dozen times a day for no reason. Its odd its stopped now but then again my email from Virgin has been down for 16 days now - promised a fix each time I call "within 48 hours.." Good job I don't rely on them.

You could try using googlemail to access your virgin mail - it was always a PITA as far as mail services go but when I switched to using it through googlemail so I could reply using my iphone it's worked fine ...

Jon

Could you explain that? I have a Googlemail account but rarely use it, I know people swear by it as a spam filter but I haven't had enough of a problem to make me switch.

I've set it up so it will log in to my virgin email as an IMAP account and access the mail and allow me to reply to them from my iphone spoofing my virgin email address ... but it has also been more stable than using mail/etc on my mac/mcbook ...

Jon

I occasionally get the prompt to enter my password but quitting and re-launching Mail always does the job. On a few rare occasions an account will go offline but clicking on "Take All Accounts Online" fixes that.

I've set it up so it will log in to my virgin email as an IMAP account and access the mail and allow me to reply to them from my iphone spoofing my virgin email address ... but it has also been more stable than using mail/etc on my mac/mcbook ...

Jon
Thanks just done that sadly I can only access 5 accounts this way and I need 7.

This is becoming a complete pain in the ass now, is no one else having a similar problem, surely someone has an answer...:lease:

Strange thing is it only seems to be affecting my primary email address??

You could try using googlemail to access your virgin mail - it was always a PITA as far as mail services go but when I switched to using it through googlemail so I could reply using my iphone it's worked fine ...

I've done this and it works a treat - the only problem I've had is that despite having the settings at "reply to messages with the address it was sent to" all my replies come from the googlemail account. Any ideas how to stop this?

This is becoming a complete pain in the ass now, is no one else having a similar problem, surely someone has an answer...:lease:

Strange thing is it only seems to be affecting my primary email address??

I never found one - it generally only affected my fourth a/c and very occasionally the others. If all of the sufferers are on Virgin maybe we have the kernel of an answer?

that's right and it does it ad nauseum...

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom