Established Member
Reaction score
Hi

I had an email, supposedly from Sky asking me to conirm:

Version Number
Serial Number
Viewing Card Number
Receiver ID

Surely they already know all this, so why should I be giving them this info?

Is this genuine, or some sort of scam?

Does the email address correspond with the email addresses that sky use?
If not, I would suggest giving sky a call to confirm whether or not they emailed you

Must be a scam

Go to your mysky on line account and ask them about it

The email address appears from the header to be genuine, but that is easily spoofed.
I have checked online and there is no mention of it there.
I will just ignore it for the time being. I just wondered if others had received anything similar.

People regularly receive stupid e-mails from all sorts of scammers - and put them straight into the Delete box.

The first paragraph:

"Here at Sky, we're working on improving our services for you. Right now, we're getting ready to carry out an important update to your Sky service. However, we're missing some important information that will allow us to do this."

I am wondering if they are in the process of updating the cards themselves (new issue?) or perhaps it is the new software update that is referred to in other posts.

They are in the process of updating the encryption... With rumours the Thompson boxes that cannot run the latest software will loose HD channels... Its probably genuine. They started requesting serial number and receiver id on new installs from Oct 2012.

This email is not genuine its been flagged up on the sky help forums and sky have confirmed it is not from them. They say they would never ask for details like this through email.

The idea of updating encryption was my concern. Can't even remember what make my box is.
@BlueYonderMan That is re-assuring, thanks

Would be interesting to see what urls are used for any links... Posts on other forums suggest these are legit emails, one person has updated their details to find the card now only clears premium channels on the Sky box and no longer works properly with a Dreambox.

Mmmm new enhanced encryption... does this mean all the freesat people will soon have to fork out for a new Sky card? :devil:

Looks legit, if you google the phone number listed 08442 411 189 you'll find lots of other forums discussing it. The URL is allegedly printed on the white viewing cards... Plus Sky registered the domain.

They obviously mean FreesatFromSky... I do not believe the cards themselves are changing so no new card should be needed.
So if I do nothing at all, what are the chances it will still work at a later date in a linux box?

So if I do nothing at all, what are the chances it will still work at a later date in a linux box?

We don't know exactly until it happens... but it seems HD channels will not clear on non Sky boxes after the change over, unless someone can work around the system and update the softcams. Similar has happened in Australia and with Viasat in the past. The email should be followed by letters and phone calls so you'll have plenty of warning hopefully.

Email is genuine. If you don't supply the details you'll get the popup shown on the website on your screen every so often.

BlueYonder Man said:
This email is not genuine its been flagged up on the sky help forums and sky have confirmed it is not from them. They say they would never ask for details like this through email.

Miss Chief said:
Email is genuine. If you don't supply the details you'll get the popup shown on the website on your screen every so often.

Which is it then?

The web address is a real Sky registered domain

Registrant:
British Sky Broadcasting Group Plc
Grant Way
Isleworth TW7 5QD
GB
@bskyb.com +44.08442410034 Fax:

Domain Name: skyviewinghelp.com

Registrar Name: Markmonitor.com
Registrar Whois: whois.markmonitor.com
Registrar Homepage: http://www.markmonitor.com

Administrative Contact:
Grant Way
Isleworth TW7 5QD
GB
Technical Contact, Zone Contact:
Grant Way
Isleworth TW7 5QD
GB

Created on..............: 2008-03-10.
Expires on..............: 2014-03-10.
Record last updated on..: 2013-02-05.

"If you're having difficulty providing the requested information, please call our Customer Services team on
08442 411 189 (UK) or 0818 762 906 (ROI)."

OK given the email and website are genuine:

Those of us who use Linux know that the information they request is needed to get our boxes running.
Therefore: They already have this information in order to pair the card with the original box

Why do they need it again?

The word "confirm" should mean that they're telling you the details as they have them, and asking you whether they're correct or not.
That's not what the e-mail does though, is it?

Sorry about the information I gave earlier it now looks like sky have changed there mind on the thread on the sky help forum. They now say that it is genuine. Great to see that everyone at sky knows whats going on yet again!

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom