Email Accounts

aet3

Hi Folks
I currently use Microsoft Windows Mail for my email account with my ISP. This sends and receives all the emails to both my desktop and laptop. No problems.
Could I add Microsoft Outlook to be active as an account to do the same, running alongside ?
OR - would it upset the current settings ?
Also, is there advantages to have both or either set up ?
Your comments and help will be appreciated.
Cheers.

Andyh4324

Why would you want both running as they do the same job? Or does Outlook have more features? I expect there would be a conflict and one would receive all the email but I'm not sure.

D

Deleted member 30535

Unless you have multiple email accounts which you want to manage seperatley, I can't see why you'd want to have Outlook as well as the Windows Mail. Even though Outlook could be set up alongside what you have without any implications on settings and mail management, I can't see the point myself.

aet3

Hi Folks
Thank you for your responses. I understand your comments.
The reason is that my wife has an HP IPAQ Hand Held Computer. I have always sync'd all the relevant files to my desktop without problems.
EXCEPT for the "Contacts" list. This can only be sync'd using Outlook, according to HP.
Hence I obtained the Windows Outlook and installed accordingly. Not realising I have to set up a new account with my ISP !!!!!!!!!
I assume the easy answer is to decide to go only to Outlook, but that means a lot of retyping of all the account contacts I have in my Windows Mail setup.
OR - leave things as they are, asn two seperate systems (computers and Hand Held).
Cheers.

D

Deleted member 30535

I have an iPAQ HX4700 PDA and sync with contacts in Outlook (business emails), and use Googlemail to manage all other email accounts (googlemail, ISP, hotmail AND business). Googlemail is set up (as is Outlook) to leave the messages on the server for 20 days. This way I can view business emails in Outlook (at my Desktop) or via web browser (Googlemail) if mobile.

andyk

Can't you just install Outlook and import the contacts and mails etc. from Windows Mail. you can configure multiple email accounts in Outlook as well of course

D

Deleted member 30535

Can't you just install Outlook and import the contacts and mails etc. from Windows Mail. you can configure multiple email accounts in Outlook as well of course

Unless you're on the ball, which I'm not, it is very easy to email from your default account when it should have gone from one of the others. I was caught out the other year when a job application went via the work email system instead of private! Doh! :facepalm:

aet3

Hi ANDYK
Thanks for the tip.
I had completely forgotten about IMPORTING !!!!
I was trying to copy / drag / copy&paste etc.
A lot easier when you remember the right things !!!!!
Cheers greatly appreciated.
For Member's further info - my ISP Technical Support confirms you can run both systems with a little tweaking of the setup.
Cheers

tvbox

Distinguished Member
I once tried outlook/windows mail and all the emails in the webmail (gmail) were deleted. The reason why i still needed the webmail is that i can view my emails everywhere.

Never ever touching windows mail again, just for the sake of it being faster/posher than webmail.

D

Deleted member 30535

I once tried outlook/windows mail and all the emails in the webmail (gmail) were deleted. The reason why i still needed the webmail is that i can view my emails everywhere.

Never ever touching windows mail again, just for the sake of it being faster/posher than webmail.

That's why you change Outlook to leave the messages on the server.....

4280217298_5f8105cc1e_o.png

Similar in Googlemail settings

4279486885_b0d3b64cff_o.png

Last edited by a moderator:
D

Deleted member 30535

I find using Googlemail as a front end to all my email addy's is a good compromise. Besides, my mate's business only has POP3 servers so I have to deal with a range of protocols.

The latest video from AVForums

Star Wars Andor, Woman King, more Star Trek 4K, Rings of Power & the latest TV, movies & 4K releases
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Full fat HDMI teeshirts

Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom