Quantcast

Emachines er1401 help to install windows {solved}

hello1

Banned
Came with no operating system and have managed to install openalec xbmc on it. plays 1080 mkv files great via usb and seems great as a media player however have a feeling it could be used for much more.

would like to install windows and use iPlayer and sports live streams.

any help to install windows 7 from a usb would be great help

have searched but I really need a step by step guide

Last edited:

JeffD

have done that but dont know how to boot from usb. the er1401 has no operating system only openelec xbmc
How was Openelec installed? Anyways it does have an operating system as Openelec is based on linux and procedure should be exactly the same as installing Openelec.

Boot options are controlled by the bios, so shutdown pc and on startup do F4 or whatever to enter bios and ensure usb is selected as the priority boot device.

steford

It's likely it will boot from USB already if that's how you installed Openelec originally. As mentioned above can be set in BIOS. ER1401 can also boot from SD card which is nice. I have no HDD and Openelec on a 4GB SD. Works great. I'd go for something bigger for Win7 though. XBMC on Openelec will happily play iPlayer, ITVPlayer and 4oD content through the relevant plugins.

hello1

Banned
Ok thanks lads for the info. Will definately be checking out the plugins.

Anyway , i have got it to boot windows iso from the usb but when i click "install windows" i get this message

Windows cannot be installed on this disk space. windows must be installed to a partition formatted in NTFS

So how do i make a partition big enought for windows on the er1401 hard drive? :confused:

JeffD

When running the Windows install you need to select the Custom option to be able to view the existing partitions Openelec created on the HDD, you should then be able to delete these partitions then create a new NTFS partition for Windows to install to.

hello1

Banned
When running the Windows install you need to select the Custom option to be able to view the existing partitions Openelec created on the HDD, you should then be able to delete these partitions then create a new NTFS partition for Windows to install to.
Yeah it did show 2 partitions. 1 was 15mb (openelec)? And the other 240gb ( hard drive) ?
So what do I delete ?

hello1

Banned
Delete both partitions the reclaim the full HDD space, then format the entire HDD to NTFS, then carry on with install.
Got it working :smashin:

Thanks for all your help , really is appreciated !!!

One last thing :rolleyes: obviously i have deleted openelec xbmc but it really was top class at playing mkv.

Would it be best to put it on a sd card and boot from there on start up or maybe use a windows based mkv player ?

Any input would be excellent

JeffD

Got it working :smashin:

Thanks for all your help , really is appreciated !!!

One last thing :rolleyes: obviously i have deleted openelec xbmc but it really was top class at playing mkv.

Would it be best to put it on a sd card and boot from there on start up or maybe use a windows based mkv player ?

Any input would be excellent
Try using the windows version of XBMC, however if the pc struggles running the windows version then you maybe able to install Openelec as a secondary operating system to create a dual boot pc.