1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

EM sheilding AV components

Discussion in 'AV Stands, Cabinets, Seating & Furniture' started by ROZ, Jan 7, 2005.

1. ROZ

ROZ
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Well I've searched the forum, and I've found a heap of data about sheilding power cables and interconnects (but not speaker wire?) but nothing on ensuring there's no interferrance between components. :confused:

I'm expecting my AVR1905 to arrive in a week or so, so I downloaded the user manual from the Denon website, and in the first few pages it talks about ensuring that it's far enough away from other components so there's no interference. No I'd imagine for most of us that's not very realistic as we stick all our kit together in a rack or cabinet either because of available floorspace or minimisation of interconnects (the interference issues there). I doubt most people even give the minimum space requirements for cooling. :nono:

Now I'm having to build my own cabinet to house my kit for a new room, and therefore I'm starting to think about the needs and plans for this construction...

So to my question(s) for the forum;

1) Is there noticable EM interference between AV components?

2) If so, would a wire mesh under shelves / between components (like a faraday cage as discussed in a previous thread) do this job?

3) If this would be a good idea, should these be isolated (where does the signal go?) or connected together and earthed? :rolleyes:

2. eviljohn2

eviljohn2

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +208
    As far as I know, any active electrical component mustn't produce measurable EM fields outside of it's own casework. This isn't necessarily true when the item is powered down.