Elysium 4K Blu-ray Review & Comments

Casimir Harlow

Movies Editor
Reaction score
Thanks for the review Cas. My copy from zoom popped through the post yesterday. Thought the PQ was superb, I really like this film and don't think it gets enough credit. Blomkamp is a great director imo, visuals are stunning. I also agree with fosters voice and I'm glad you also picked up on that and it wasn't just me !

I really enjoy this film also, love the look of the design's , The Data Heist scene was always one i would show to people ... Look forward to seeing it in 4k

Thanks for the review, I haven’t seen this since the cinema, the aerial photography/fx when coming from space into the Torus are still clear in my mind. I loved this paradise, showing its curvature as ships fly in, glad to hear the effects still hold up. Will check this out.

Last edited:
Thanks Cas. Everything I wanted to see there! The old blu-ray was very strong in its day - I remember it activating some kind of enhanced mode on my old plasma which only a few discs did.

And yeah...wasnt he involved in a Halo film which got aborted before this? Because some of it made its way into this film for sure! As close as we will get anyway. Plot is a lot easier to follow than Halo mind! :D

Thanks cas, not surprised that this is AV demo material, always looked and sounded great on Blu.

Thanks for the Review, Cas. Yep will be renting this for sure!

I've never seen this as it's got a bad rep, perhaps now is the time to check it out. Even if the film's no good at least I know it'll be an AV treat.

Cheers Cas, appreciate the review. I quite enjoy this film, once getting over the oddly cast MD for the role, I like it. always felt a UHD 4K disc would look the business. Looking forward to a rewatch when I get my hands on it.

Watched this on the Sky box, thought it was more than acceptable quality so saved me a few quid!

major let down. To many garbage actors

Last edited:
I've never seen this as it's got a bad rep, perhaps now is the time to check it out. Even if the film's no good at least I know it'll be an AV treat.
the trailer was top notch, the movie was a stinker

Been waiting years for this to come out on 4k disc. Have it on google play in 4k. Really liked this movie and also think it's underrated. It actually has quite a powerful message for our society today with 1st and 3rd world countries and migration.

Never really liked this film since it has no characters that you can really empathise with, even the Matt Damon character is not likeable.

Want to revisit though since I’ve been thinking about it a lot recently, as it seems a bit prophetic. It really does seem that the richest 0.1% want the rest of us in some sort of perpetual serfdom.

Ditto with Brazil. It was once my favourite film, but back then I didn’t realise I’d be living in that dystopian future.

I'll have to admit that I've never really got into this film, always thought it dragged a bit... but maybe it's time to give it another go.

Personally I think this is a really good film probably watched it 4/5 times , if you go looking for faults then yes, but just sit back and enjoy.
It looked and sounded great on Blu-ray and I’d forgotten it was be released in 4k so
I’ll be acquiring shortly.
Thank for the review.

Woohoo!
2xrSwAVl.jpg

No slip? I did see there’s no slip, waited to see to be sure. I’ll wait for this to be in the sale/reduced.
Imo, for PQ and A this is worth £19.99

Thanks for the review Cas. Sounds like a definite purchase for me (albeit probably in a 3 for £30 offer) as I really enjoyed the film when it came out but it's a little strange because for some reason I've never bothered to watch it again since then!

And it looks like you've somehow managed to have been given a few (half) decent films to review this week for a change (the other ones I'm thinking of are Possessor and Greenland). :D

Never really liked this film since it has no characters that you can really empathise with, even the Matt Damon character is not likeable.

Want to revisit though since I’ve been thinking about it a lot recently, as it seems a bit prophetic. It really does seem that the richest 0.1% want the rest of us in some sort of perpetual serfdom.

Ditto with Brazil. It was once my favourite film, but back then I didn’t realise I’d be living in that dystopian future.
Exaggerating much? :D

I'm pretty sure we are not living in Brazil's dystopian future. For a start...the TV's and monitors are way better!

No slip? I did see there’s no slip, waited to see to be sure. I’ll wait for this to be in the sale/reduced.
Given their relative lack of output, it's easy to forget that Sony UK stopped issuing bog standard catalogue titles with slips, in late October 2019.

Note that I don't count 'classic' or Anniversary catalogue titles like The Dark Crystal, (Nov 2019), The Bridge on The River Kwai, Easy Rider, (both Dec 2019), or Boyz In The Hood, (Feb 2020).

Everything else...
251091_large.jpg
274495_large.jpg
273887_large.jpg
273769_large.jpg
281452_large.jpg
278847_large.jpg
285503_large.jpg

...no slips.

Don't count on Gattaca having one, either.

Last edited:

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom