Elvis '68 Comeback Special: Deluxe Edition R1 Review

Discussion in 'Movie Forum' started by Sigismund, Jul 16, 2004.

1. Sigismund

Sigismund

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +102
    [​IMG]

We take a look at the region 1 release of the Elvis '68 Comeback Special: Deluxe Edition

Read the review here

2. JAMESTALKALOT

JAMESTALKALOT

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7
    This dvd is fantastic but it's a shame that they made the error in the main show by deleting the song 'It Hurts Me' by accident.

3. Sigismund

Sigismund

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +102
    What do you mean?

4. JAMESTALKALOT

JAMESTALKALOT

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7
    There was an error on the dvd that I hoped would be fixed for the PAL release but it's not :thumbsdow

From the official Elvis website

"In the original December 1968 broadcast version of the the ’68 Special as seen on the DVD set, the song It Hurts Me is missing from the Guitar Man production number. Why?

When the '68 TV special first aired on December 3, 1968, "It Hurts Me" (probably for time) and the bordello scenes (due to show sponsor objections) were not included in the show's big production number. On the 2004 DVD set we present the " original broadcast version" of the show for historical context, but we added back the bordello scenes. In lots of back and forth about how to present an "assembled show" chapter (pure original broadcast version or add some elements that didn't originally air), we did not think to add back "It Hurts Me" and now wish we had since this seems to be a bone of contention among fans who are accustomed to seeing these parts in a longer edition of the "broadcast version" as assembled for video and DVD releases prior to 2004. (A listing of "It Hurts Me" in the liner notes for this part of the new DVD set is incorrect.)

The raw elements of the production number are elsewhere on the DVD set, including the bordello scenes and "It Hurts Me". Takes of the very final portion of "It Hurts Me" (Elvis finishes the song and has his foot on pile of guys he beat up) did not, however, make it into the raw elements on the DVD set. When the original tapes were transferred for preservation and cataloged a number of years ago, and the originals were sent to storage, the short original tape reel with those few takes of the very end of "It Hurts Me" somehow did not get cataloged or transferred. We failed to realize that while assembling the 2004 set. The only inventory sheets were the ones made when the material was transferred and there was no reason to doubt any material we had was missed. We dutifully checked off each item on the inventory sheets while assembling the sets. The DVD set was already in the marketplace when it was discovered that those few takes had been missed. Our sincere intention was to be absolutely comprehensive and, but for a few minutes, with this 7-hour DVD set, we were.

While most Elvis fans/collectors we've heard from are thrilled with the '68 DVD set and herald it as the most significant and exhaustive release of a collection of Elvis performance material ever, we absolutely understand, respect, appreciate and share the concerns expressed by some fans and collectors regarding the the few missing pieces. We, BMG and our technical collaborators are evaluating all options for addressing this further, and satisfactorily, for concerned fans (and ourselves). We will update our information about this the very moment that we can. That will take a little time yet. But, we are "on it." Please bear with us. Thank you very much for your patience and understanding. In the meantime, we know you'll thoroughly enjoy this monumental 7-hour DVD set.
    "

5. Sigismund

Sigismund

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +102
    Well... before I posted asking what you meant, I put on the DVD and I would have sworn in a court of law that It Hurts Me was in that segment!

I can see a "review edit" coming on!

Thanks for that :)

6. JAMESTALKALOT

JAMESTALKALOT

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7
    No Problem mate. It's the first thing I checked when I got the dvd to see if it was fixed.

It is a great review by the way :smashin: