1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Eltax Vs Limit Surround Speaker setup

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Speakers' started by scottm, Apr 19, 2003.

1. scottm

scottm

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hey all. I'm deliberating on what surround speaker setup to buy
    for the Tosh 520 DVD I'm also about to buy.

I'm looking in the Richer Sounds catalouge and the WhatHiFi as
    well for further RS bargains. The ones I'v been looking at are:

Eltax Liberty 5.1 for 150 (in WhatHiFi RS advert)
    Eltax Silverado for 120
    Eltax Holywood for 150
    Limit HC40 for 300, but you can get them for 150 if purchasing the Tosh DVD from RS as well.

The Liberty 5.1 is looking like the best option. Its had really good
    write ups, and is in the RS mag at 349, but in RS's WhatHiFi section for 200 quid off.

Thoughts anyone ? Especially wrt the Limit package and the Liberty 5.1.

I've got a budget roughly of about 15o ish, so if there's an option Ive missed here then please let me know.

Just on a final note, if anyone has the Liberty setup, what speaker stands have you used?

Thanks all

S

2. DanAshmoreUK

DanAshmoreUK

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    hey mate
    You can check my ho,me cinema set up below in my sig, but first of all i'd like to say im using the Eltax Liberty speaker package and im quite impressed especially for the price. I actually bought my package for £250 at richersounds in store, but then i noticed they were £150 on the website, i then brought in the website printoff to show them and they gave my back £100!:D
    anyway as for stands... erm i dont use them, because ive just made my own brackets on the wall, but anyway im happy with the speakers, cant really compare because ive never really listened to the likes of B&W's, Modaunt Shorts etc:
    I'd actually like to know if you are simply paying for the name with speakers like that actually, just like QED cables!!! I use my trusty Cambridge Audio interconnects:)
    ---Ashmore---

3. scottm

scottm

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hey Dan, thanks for the reply. The Libertys do sound good, but
    good to hear that you like them as well.

After doing a bit of research yesterday however, I'm a bit worried
    about the size of my room (about 4.2m x 5m) and the size of the
    speakers. I may be completely off the mark here, but would these be too big for my room??

I've also got my ear bent by the girlfriend as well, who was looking at the size and number of speakers involved in the 5.1 setup and saying that they better not ruin the look of the room ! :) (I've already got my two hi-fi speakers on the back wall on stands).

I've been "told" that monitors would be preferred, but that if it's gonna be much better having the speakers (Liberty style) then so be it! :)

S.