1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Eltax speaker packages advice plz

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Speakers' started by CapnDan, Jan 30, 2003.

1. CapnDan

CapnDan

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    hi

Im looking for a very cheap 5.0/5.1 speaker setup, when i say cheap im talking < £150 :)

I found some seemingly cheap eltax packages, silverado and matrix, both are 5.0 systems for £120 at QED, but i cant find a review for these speakers anywhere. I was hoping some1 could offer some insight into this speakers via links or experience with them :)

also the eltax stargate system is very cheap @ £113 but only received average reviews at its original retail of £500, wonder if they worth a look ?

any help/advice would be appreciated :)

2. wilber

wilber

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +30
    Don't do it is all the advice I can really give. These speaker packages may appear to be cheap as chips but they don't necessarily equate to value for money.

Pick up a copy of what hi-fi & you will find sellers like Richers and Hyperfi who pick up "last years model". Do a bit of investigation, you'll find good speakers from Kef, Mission, Wharfedale etc at good prices (take no notice of their typical selling price though). Have a listen to them - don't buy something just cause hi-fi choices reviewer liked it. Get a good set of front speakers & a set of rears (say for instance, tho not necessarily, a pair of Wharfedale Diamond 8.2's with a pair of 8.1s - total £130) and use them in phantom mode til you can afford a centre to compliment your front set.

3. CapnDan

CapnDan

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    yeh sound advice i know really.... I had a full scale 5.1 setup but had to sell it cos wife wouldnt put up with it, then i went the sat/sub route with some flat panel speakers wot look right smart but sound like absolute rubbish ! (arc sonare 5.1). So now i need a compromise, still gotta be fairly tidy and smallscale but hopefully with half decent sound. Budget is shot to peices cos i already wasted money on the arc junk.

oh well :(

4. alextgreen

alextgreen

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    If they sound that rubbish take the silly things back!

5. jim.rae

jim.rae

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have a variety of systems in different rooms and I have to say that my Eltax system of two bookshelfers and a sub woofer sound pretty good!

They are certainly good enough for movies and general listening...

6. PKblue

PKblue
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Ah, so you think the ARC Sonare 5.1 are rubbish ?

Anyone else confirm ?

They are being sold for £40 +pp at the moment, and I was very tempted to get them and run with a cheap receiver, but I suspected they weren't going to be worth it in the long run.

I am looking at getting the Logitech Z-680s, as I want to use them with PC and for digital sound with Xbox. I will get a proper separates based HT system down the track.

Cheers

PK

7. CapnDan

CapnDan

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    To give you an idea of the 'rubishness' of the arc setup, i have on several occassions switched it off in favour of TV sound (cheapo goodmans telly at that).

8. jGrahamD

jGrahamD
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    I've heard some good reports about the Mission 6 pack, which is £179 from EmpireDirect. Anybody heard these?