Eltax speaker opinions?

M

mellow

Can an AV newbie ask for reader's views on this range of speakers.

Potential kit:
Receiver: Yamaha RX-V630RDS/Marantz SR5300
Speakers: Evolution/Liberty/Hollywood?

Usage will be 50/50 split music/HC. What attracts me to the Eltax is the floorstanding fronts with built in "sub" - I don't really have room for a separate sub.

Do owners past/present think these speakers can deliver a decent sound stage in both areas (music/HC). I like the look of the slim Hollywood fronts, but (apologies to current owners) can a package that cheap give good sound reproduction? What other speaker combinations are recommended - bearing in mind no separate sub?

I will of course be trying to arrange demo's of potential configurations.

believe me, you better of with no sub, then eltax's "built in" subs. They are unbelievebly boomy. They suck out the small amount of quality accually coming out of the speakers.

If you want to use it for music too, a full size speakers set-up would be better. But if you need a sub get a 5.1 setup.
the MISSION FS2AV NXT SPEAKER PACKAGE are good

as for full size, If I was on a budget, I would buy, Front:Mission M73(£95), Centre:Mission 70C1(£50) ,Rear:M72(£70) = £215.
and maybe find a space were you can squeeze a small sub.

whats you budget, If you can find a package that directs you away from eltax, my work would be done:D

My budget is around £300, so the Mission combination would be no problem.

Would the M73s give enough bass by themselves in HC situations?

The Hollywoods are fine for DVDs and there is plenty of bass. In fact, I had to turn the bass down a bit of the amp. either that or put a bung in the rear ports. If you do buy them, make sure you isolate the fronts from the floor by using spikes (not supplied) as it fixes the 'boom' quite well.

Anyway, they are fine for DVDs but not so hot for music. They play music OK but doesn't really have too much depth.

However, I would say if you were using them 90% DVDs and 10% music then they are a steal for the money. But if you are looking 50/50 split in usage then I feel you would be disappointed with the music side of things.

Me ? I'm happy with them as they are cheap, look fine (even the missus likes them) and I won't feel bad about replacing them in the future. But for now, they are good enough for their use in our house which is for just watching DVDs.

Cheers

Ian

Mate, I used to have Yammy A5 amp partnered with the Liberties. Excellent surround although I do feel I could have belted more out of them with a more new/powerful amp.

Having heard all the great improvements Yamaha have made to their amps since the A5 I would say that partnering 630 with Liberties would make a great partnership.

I run M73s as fronts and haven't bothered with a sub yet. They happily play an assortment of my IASCA bass tracks, which go down VERY low.

Thanks for all views. I hope to arrange demo's this week - I'll post my thoughts if/when I have acheived this.

BTW - Any owners of Eltax Evolutions out there want to make any comments?

I used to have the eltax symphony 6.2 set and they were very smooth but as ive found with most of the eltax's ive heard you dont really get much detail or any bite on the treble, theyre verys warm sounding speakers. The bass on them was very good using a stereo amp but ive found when using the yamaha 620 reciever more or less the same as the 630 that no matter how bassy the fronts are it doesnt really punch the bass out your fronts very well. IMO you need a sub with the yammys.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom