1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Eltax Silverstone replacements... thanks RS

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Speakers' started by agw_01, Dec 12, 2003.

1. agw_01

agw_01
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi

2 weeks ago I took one of my Mission 702e's back to Richer Sounds because the tweeter had stopped working. It was sent off to be repaired, and the other day, my dad got a call to go and pick it up.

Firstly, he was told that there was no fault with the speaker. He asked to have a demo and when the salesperson unpacked the speaker, my dad saw that the cabinet was heavily bashed in (as in it had been dropped from quite a distance). He told the salesperson that the speaker wasn't in this condition when it was sent off, and was asked to bring the other 702e in so that they could be swapped.

My dad took the other 702e in today (which was in immaculate condition), and they were swapped for a pair of Eltax Silverstone 200s!

I can't say I'm suprised that RS have given him Eltax instead of another Mission model. I don't know what to say... I'm not happy at all! The Eltax's are about half as heavy as the Missions and they aren't bi-wireable, something that I was really looking forward to when getting my 702e's back. Should I get my dad to take the speakers back and get a pair of Missions?

Thanks.

Oh, another thing, the Eltax's have the spring loaded clips and not binding posts... how can they justify giving such lame replacements, when I paid for Missions!

2. wizbongre

wizbongre

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +63
    Sounds to me like you have been well and truly shafted...

You need to get back down to the shop and kick up a real stink!

3. agw_01

agw_01
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for replying. Yeah, I'm definately gonna go back to the shop and complain.

I've read too much about RS trying to get rid of old stock. When it came to me getting a new amp last december, I asked for a Yamaha stereo amp (of course I quoted the model number as well, lol). When I was told that they didn't have any in stock, the salesperson tried to sell my a Pioneer slim-line HC receiver. I was like... what the fudge is this!

Anyway, I just had a rather length demo of the speakers on a Yammy DSP-AX620 and Kenwood A-62. What can I say... HARSH! I'm not impressed with this stunt... RS are gonna pay!

4. krusty

krusty

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    richer do tend to like you buying there cheaper brands.... there eltax , gale subs[ boom boxes] are a good example!!! i would definetly stick to your guns and get the product you want.

5. krusty

krusty

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    you should have contacted mission yourself [ forget richer] i bought a denon 1802 last year knowing fine well the chipset had that flagging problem. i sent the amp back to denon who quite happily repaired it free of charge[ richer sounds at a later date said they never heard of any problems with chipsets, and that you shouldn,t believe everything read in home cinema mags]

6. agw_01

agw_01
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for replying.

Mission were the first people I contacted, but I was told to take the speaker back to RS. Look where it got me... I'm sat here with a pair of utterly useless Eltax speakers never used. I wonder how much I could sell them for on ebay :D

And yeah, I agree with RS tryin to sell you cheaper things. It's pretty scary, because if you are just starting out with Hi-Fi or AV equipment and don't know what you want, they could flog some proper crap at your expense.

I'm definately going to get my money back, because I paid for Mission, and if they can't give me Mission, I'll buy from somewhere else.

Thanks again. :)

7. agw_01

agw_01
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hmmm ok, I'm unsure of what to do about these speakers.

The first time I heard them on the Yammy, they were just stuck on the floor in my dads living room, and I went and stood a few meters away from them. They didn't sound too bad, but when I tried them on the Kenwood amp upstairs, which my dad uses on his computer, that's when they sounded awful.

Me and my dad both sat down before, for about 2 hours and had a good listen to quite a large selection of music. I don't know what to say...

Top end is awesome, so clean and crisp
    Mid range can be a bit overpowering, but most of the time it is well controlled
    Bass is... what can I say... not bad at all.

I know it's weird, me saying that I hate these speakers, and now saying that I like them. I prefer my Mission 702e's much more though, basically because they are Missions, but I think I will stick with these for the time being and see how they turn out.

If I don't like them, I can always sell them, or keep them for my car :clap:

8. Ed Selley

Ed Selley
    AVF Reviewer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,147
    Be careful here- get something because its good rather than what badge is bolted to the front. I would say that you have a clear case with RS for some kind of recompence but for heavens sake- if they sound better then surely ignore the badge and hold onto them!

small rant over

9. SanPedro

SanPedro

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +503
    Were the Eltax the same price as the Missions? They should provide you with something of an equivalent value and not fob you off with something that was new. Imagine buying a 5 series BMW, taking it it cos its faulty and getting palmed off with a 3 series.

If you're happy with the Eltax, keep 'em. But you should get at least the same monetary value replacement for the Missions.

BTW I have some Eltax and am pretty pleased. But these are pretty substantial and come with proper bi-wired connectors at the back. Eltax do make some cheapies so make sure you've not been shortchanged.

Chris

10. Mylo

Mylo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +372
    I am with Chris on this one, I think we have the same model. Eltax make some very good speakers and some not so good. Just make sure as mentioned above that they are of equivalent value. Personally I dislike mission speakers; I just don't like the look of them. Can your new ones be mass loaded? This can improve the sound. If it makes you feel better just debadge the speakers. ;)

Regards, Mylo

11. agw_01

agw_01
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Tons of fun, that was an excellent point you made and I totally agree with it. I'm actually very impressed with these speakers. I think that the reason why I was a little unhappy with them originally, was because of the weight difference between the Mission's and these Eltax's.

Chris Lamle, I paid £90 for the Mission's because I got them in beech rather than black. RS don't sell the Silverstone 200's anymore, but AFAIK they were selling them for £119.

The RRPs for both speakers were £199 for the Mission's and £179 for the Eltax's.

What is the model number of your speakers? My dad said I could change the connector plate to one that had binding posts at the back pretty easily, as long as it was the same size as the current one. I was wondering, if I did end up changing the connector plate which had bi-wireable binding posts, would I just wire the woofer straight to one pair of terminals, and the other terminals would go to the crossover? Or should I just not bother bi-wiring? I have heard that binding posts are better because they grip the cable a lot more, so should I bother changing the connectors over?

mylo, when you say mass loaded, is that when you fill them with sand or am I completed off track with that?

Also, howcome you don't like the look of Mission? I love how the 700 series look, well the 700's upwards.. the 70's are pretty ugly, and I don't like the M73i/M74i's as much as the 702e's either.

Oh, if I debadge the speakers, that'll mean that I will have to de-screw the cabinets and put go-faster stripes round the speaker... :laugh:

Thanks a lot for all the replies and feedback :)

12. Mylo

Mylo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +372
    mylo, when you say mass loaded, is that when you fill them with sand or am I completed off track with that?

Spot on mate, can alter the sound, in my experience.

Oh, if I debadge the speakers, that'll mean that I will have to de-screw the cabinets and put go-faster stripes round the speaker... :laugh:

:smashin: :D But they will sound louder.:rotfl:

Mylo

13. agw_01

agw_01
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    LOL mylo! :laugh:

In case you don't know what the Silverstone's look like, here is a picture I nicked from Eltax's website and cut down...

[​IMG]

I'm guessing that the internal depth of the box is right down to the bottom of the cabinet (on the 702e's, I think it stopped just under the port) so might be able to mass load them. I will definately check that out. Although, what if I want to get the material out? If I use sand, and I tip the speakers upside-down, won't the sand just go all over the drivers? :suicide:

14. Mylo

Mylo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +372
    If they can be loaded there will be a removable panel or big screw on the lower back of the cabinets. The chambers are otherwise sealed. As far as removing the sand/cat litter, I am yet to think of a solution, when I bought my current speakers they were already loaded.

Regards, Mylo

15. agw_01

agw_01
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hmmm, nope, these speakers don't have any kind of removable panel. And I'm guessing you ain't talking about the speaker terminal panel :rotfl:

I was just wondering, what speakers do you have?... edit... just saw your sig, hehe.

Thanks